Curb Your Enthusiasm

I'm not trying to tell you to go all doom and gloom or anything, just remember how previous seasons have went. The Falcons will not be world beaters and blow every opponent out. They return with the same offensive and defensive lines as last season. They return with essentially the same offense as last season. Even the defense has remained largely intact, but the point is, we've seen what this composition is capable of already. The birds will win some close games and lose others. Their will be a roller coaster ride of emotion from week to week depending on the outcomes.

So if Matty doesn't win a playoff game, I won't be surprised. I also won't be beating my chest if he does. Julio could regress massively and I would except that for a while before I start to question him, or he will play how he should and I'll be satisfied, but I won't be screaming and yelling in everybody's face about how good or bad he is. Turner could finally flame out and I'll reflect on just how good he was for us the last four years, or I could laugh hysterically at all those that questioned him if he blows up.

The point is, don't get too high, don't get too low. Maintain your emotions until there is something worth getting crazy over... like a Lombardi.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trying to tell you to go all doom and gloom or anything, just remember how previous seasons have went. The Falcons will not be world beaters and blow every opponent out. They return with the same offensive and defensive lines as last season. They return with essentially the same offense as last season. Even the defense has remained largely intact, but the point is, we've seen what this composition is capable of already. The birds will win some close games and lose others. Their will be a roller coaster ride of emotion from week to week depending on the outcomes.

So if Matty doesn't win a playoff game, I won't be surprised. I also won't be beating my chest if he does. Julio could regress massively and I would except that for a while before I start to question him, or he will play how he should and I'll be satisfied, but I won't be screaming and yelling in everybody's face about how good or bad he is. Turner could finally flame out and I'll reflect on just how good he was for us the last four years, or I could laugh hysterically at all those that questioned him if he blows up.

The point is, don't get too high, don't get too low. Maintain your emotions until there is something worth getting crazy over... like a Lombardi.

You totally left out the fact that our old coordinators were certifiable morons and our new coordinators are magic. Championship.

Lol why have you been such a negative nancy lately.

I'm not negative, I am just grounded. Plus I hated the Koetter hire from day one.

I've said lots of times this team has the best skill position players of any team in franchise history, but it's a pretty soft team in the trenches.

We'll see what happens. The NFC is absolutely loaded.

All I'm saying is Hope for the best, expect the worst. This team is good, I'm not saying otherwise. Definitely capable of winning it all, but if they don't, accept it. I'm happy with the new coordinators, but the head coach is the same so the overall philosophy will be the same. It's just every preseason I hear all this hype and all the folks getting excited, only to have the season start, trolls come out, good posters leave all because expectations weren't met. There are a lot of other good football teams out there that could beat this Falcons team any day. That's not to say the Falcons couldn't win those games, but as I said early, the Falcons are not world beaters.

And no, this is my own account, not an alternate account.

I'm not negative, I am just grounded. Plus I hated the Koetter hire from day one.

I've said lots of times this team has the best skill position players of any team in franchise history, but it's a pretty soft team in the trenches.

I liked things about Koetter when we hired him, but he was kind of an unknown to me. I wasn't going to count the Jags against him due to the talent they had.

I agree our o-line looked pretty soft last year at times, but they are already looking better. Plus they can still get better and continue to gel. We haven't even really schemed any protections yet.

So far though our O and D look better even though it's preseason and we are playing it Vanillia.

This is an emotionally driven game. If you are a football fan and all of us are we get full of emotion about it. In my opinion the lows come with the highs. I know as Falcon fans we have had plenty of lows but it wont stop me from coming back to endure another. I am hyped up and cant wait to see how the season unfolds. Good or bad , Im along for the ride. I am not going to pout about things not going exactly how I wanted them to. I am going to enjoy myself some Falcon football.

I'll bet you a dollar that with pretty much exactly the same offensive players as last year, we score more points this year.

I will agree that you can't let the pre-season make you think this team will throw shut-outs on defense and suddenly toss for 400 yards per game, but NO ONE will be satisfied with just making it to the play-offs.

My hope is that we become a bit more aggresive on both sides of the ball. I would love to see a few drives that don't require making 10 3rd down conversions or 3 straight runs in the Red Zone.

I would be so happy to see a few QB sacks on 3rd and long when the Falcons are on D.

I would love to see them keep scoring when they have the other team down by two scores.

All of that will make the season much more fun for me. Oh yeah, and winning in Poist season.

I'll bet you a dollar that with pretty much exactly the same offensive players as last year, we score more points this year.

We should score more. Julio was a rookie with no off season to get integrated and he missed a big chunk of the season.

Still, 402 points was a pretty good showing last year.

If anyone wants to guard their emotions and not get too excited for this team because they're worried about the possible letdown, that's just fine.

But please don't insist I have to do the same thing. Yeah, it'll hurt like **** if they crash in a game or the playoffs again.

I really enjoy the ride, though, and I'll get over losses pretty quick.

I think this team is primed for one h##l of a season and that Ryan takes the next step and we get a deep playoff run. If I'm wrong, sobeit, if I'm right, I'll enjoy it more than the ones who hold back.

No,

We have enough debbie downers making the rounds on this forum day in and day out. Some people make it there full time jobs to make sure we as fans are never excited or happy with the team.

Me as a fan being excited and happy for the team has no effect on how the team prepares for games so I simply fail to see the reason that we should hold back on our excitement.

Is is the official forum if we can't b happy and excited here where can we?

Here is the thing....for me.

It's not the coaches.

When Matt Ryan is ready to win a playoff game, the Falcons will win a playoff game.

Maybe this is the year.

The OC can help or hinder Ryan from developing to the point where he can win in the playoffs.

How often have we heard something along the lines of "the handcuffs are off" when talking about Ryan this year?

Uhaul puts governors on their trucks that keep them from going over a certain speed. Think MM was a governor on the Atlanta offense that kept it from going past a certain point.

The OC can help or hinder Ryan from developing to the point where he can win in the playoffs.

How often have we heard something along the lines of "the handcuffs are off" when talking about Ryan this year?

Uhaul puts governors on their trucks that keep them from going over a certain speed. Think MM was a governor on the Atlanta offense that kept it from going past a certain point.

I know that's the popular sentiment, I just don't agree with it.

I know that's the popular sentiment, I just don't agree with it.

You know, one of the reasons I like you as a poster is that we can disagree and not degenerate into nastiness.

I think that Koetter will force D's to guard the entire field, make the deep ball a regular part of the O rather than the max-protect-one -WR-out mentality of MM and get the 4th through 8th options more involved.

Also hold out hope for the Oline being better and giving Ryan a pocket to step up in.