Might Be One Of Tds Best Offseasons

jdawg4876

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Letting Lofton go without a viable replacement was a big mistake, but aside from that the offseason has been pretty solid. Change in coordinators seems positive so far.

In all fairness, we can't really say whether or not that was a mistake until we see our defense in the regular season. We should know after game 1. Jamaal Charles is a beast and it will be a tough test right out of the gate for our run defense.

Thus far, our starting defense has been stout. I didn't like seeing him leave, but that doesn't mean it was a mistake.

I was thinking today I like a lot of the moves TD made this yr.

TD made some mistakes no doubt with taptua and manahewui sp, and I scratched my head with the ewing pick as well but...

getting asante for a 7th was a steal and even if somehow philly was right and he is on a decline an avg asante is easily worth a 7th.

bringing in hope a great backup saftey and still could be a starter on most teams.

bringing in polite who is a lot closer to ovie than folks think.

finding us our first good prospect at QB in yrs in DD.

and so far both holmes and travan robertson have both looked really solid to me.

the biggest question I have yet is on konzs he has just been avg, hope this pans out

So all in all a good yr for TD

I'll begin by putting my cards on the table and saying I'm a TD fan... I think the level of criticism he gets on this MB is mostly unjustified. I also think it has been a very solid off season not just with the Samuel trade, but also with Abraham, Bierman, Douglas, Snelling, and DeCoud all brought back at very cap-friendly rates. It is important to not ignore the bad though when stopping to appreciate the good. Giving Lofa Tatupu that kind of money was a silly thing to do, and I think even if he had managed to stay healthy it was too much money for him.

As far as the draft picks go....its too soon to vote positively or negatively. I will say that all of the draft picks show more promise then disdain. The ones who stick out are Ewing and Holmes. Konz has been average and so has Mass. Haven't heard much from Mitchell since the games started.

I think sometimes we as fans expect wayyyy too much out of rookies when half of us dont even understand what exactly we are evaluating. To say Konz is a bad pick right now is extremely premature and naive. Same thing about saying he is a good pick.

How many people thought Owens was a good pick after his 1st year only to hate him a year later. Key thing is to slow down. If the phrase started with "Up to this point..." then it would make more sense.

As for the free agent pickups, I loved them. I was just rewatchkng the game and thinking that a Pro Bowl Lofa would have done wonders for this team and he wasnt even injured by his previous problems. It was unrelated to his knee issues, but I'm giving Dent a chance. He was good in one game and bad in the other so far. Not going to judge him yet bc we only have so little to go on.

All in all...up to this point I would grade it a B+. All of our draft picks have been for depth which is a positive thing. We have picked up a great D coor and a Good O coor. We have resigned some key players and we have made Sam Baker look good, which is hard to do.

As for Lofton, cant keep everybody. Would his presence in the middle make me more comfortable? Heck yes it would bc we know what we're getting but with a year or two we could get better there. I think Lofton reached his peak. He wasnt getting any better. And after recent comment by him I'm well over ready to move on.

drafting a fullback that early yes was a mistake he could have got one after the draft. I never liked the manuai pick up and he didnt even make it to the first pre season game lol and a lot of folks penciled him in as a starter, so yes that was a mistake. Tatpua ehhhh

besides sick dont you have some more rotoworld articles to post constantly lol

Lol it's better then reading some very bad opinions on here. I can't even get on here much without seeing a ton of garbadge. It's why I'm not on here as much.

Again FB wasn't a mistake lmao and Manwui was a camp body ever heard of that?

Lol it's better then reading some very bad opinions on here. I can't even get on here much without seeing a ton of garbadge. It's why I'm not on here as much.

Again FB wasn't a mistake lmao and Manwui was a camp body ever heard of that?

camp body my a** half the board had him as a day one starter lol. and ewing was a reach even for the best FB in the draft. we got polite without using a pick. I think you just get ya opinions from so called experts without having to form ya own thoughts, its ok its safer that way :-)

Edited by jdawg4876

plus why would we need more camp bodies at o line how many linemen were we carrying before vance like 12 or so lol. dude it was a bad singing I dont care if he cost 4 million dollars or a coke and a smile, a bad signing is a bad signing. but im giving TD his props this yr. we needed a real TE behind TG and I dont see it on our current roster, and there was still some decent prospects in the 5th round.

Edited by jdawg4876

We should wait to season plays out . His 2nd round pick might not even crack starting line up

He let one of his best draft picks and our defensive leader go to the Saints

2 free agent moves of Lofa and Manuwai didn't pan out and already off the team

Agnate was a very solid move

The hiring of Nolan

Finding Davis

Off season so far Grade -C

if Konz cracks starting line up and appears a fixture

Holmes replace Baker at some point

He trades Davis or builds around him

Asante plays pro bowl level

Could be a Ok off season .

so you dont think polite robertson and hope were solid pickups?

just added depth

Mass has potential to be a steal

it's to hard to tell right now

well ya got to give TD some props all his late round picks have produced. peters, robertson, walker and as you said Mass.

and I disagree polite will be the starter most likely so not depth but a solid starter, and I still believe hope could take thomas job if he is not careful

DD = Gilbert Renfro until he shows me more. Anyone remember Gilbert????

Yeah real! I hope he becomes the next Warren Moon but for now, he played 2 pre-season games against the 3rd and 4th string and did well. So let's see how he does with the 2nd stringers.

camp body my a** half the board had him as a day one starter lol. and ewing was a reach even for the best FB in the draft. we got polite without using a pick. I think you just get ya opinions from so called experts without having to form ya own thoughts, its ok its safer that way :-)

I never said he was a starter and FB was a need. The old school FBs like Polite and Ovie are not used as much. The power run game is not used as much so the need for a more versitile FB who can do it all is more wanted. Like I said he's like John Khun, just not there yet. Is Khun not worth a 5th round pick? We grabbed Polite, because he was best available. The only way Coxs beats him out is if he is more versatile. Polite is a better power run blocker.

As far as expert goes thanks for the compliment. I've been called one before compared to others on here lol.

I never said he was a starter and FB was a need. The old school FBs like Polite and Ovie are not used as much. The power run game is not used as much so the need for a more versitile FB who can do it all is more wanted. Like I said he's like John Khun, just not there yet. Is Khun not worth a 5th round pick? We grabbed Polite, because he was best available. The only way Coxs beats him out is if he is more versatile. Polite is a better power run blocker.

As far as expert goes thanks for the compliment. I've been called one before compared to others on here lol.

I see now ya backing off the vance debate its ok im sure a rotoworld article will back ya opinion that he was a good pickup lol

oh and I will play with you on the FB issue. if the first two pre season games are any indication the FB under kotter is more of a back up role with one back sets, just like in nolans defense the starting MLB is also a more back up role bc we will be in nickle. but naw spending a 5th rd pick when ya could have got a fb later or **** he could have not even been drafted

oh and I will play with you on the FB issue. if the first two pre season games are any indication the FB under kotter is more of a back up role with one back sets, just like in nolans defense the starting MLB is also a more back up role bc we will be in nickle. but naw spending a 5th rd pick when ya could have got a fb later or **** he could have not even been drafted

Most 5th round picks are role players and depth players lol. A lot of teams cut their 5-7th rounders so again not a bad pick. Kickers and punters have been taken higher than that so try again.

no you said he was a camp body which is also crazy bc we already had like 12 lineman why we need another camp body, im pretty sure jackson is good at getting beat up.

what it was is a failed attempt to solidify a weak position just like the taptua at LB nothing more nothing else, like I said I gave TD props.

Edited by jdawg4876

Ashanti for a 7th and DD who could be the next Warren Moon. Yeah, this might be his best year ever as a GM. His draft picks look like they all have talent which is rare for TD.

I don't understand this line of thinking… I'm thinking to myself TD has done such a great job since he has been here, that we are about to have to cut some quality players in order to make the 53 man roster

Most 5th round picks are role players and depth players lol. A lot of teams cut their 5-7th rounders so again not a bad pick. Kickers and punters have been taken higher than that so try again.

lol and that gm should be fired using a pick on a kicker or a punter in the 5th rd im not saying ewing isnt going to be good but it was a mis step to draft him where he did period. good FBs are a dime a dozen in the modern nfl thats why we found polite floating around 2 YRS IN A ROW! so naw you try again

we can go around and around we wont agree on ewing, with kotters scheme that seems to utilize a lot of one back sets I dont see any FB great or not to spend a 5th rd pick on when you can bring one in either from the udfa pool or FA very cheaply, thats my stance period