Tony Gonzalez, Meet Father Time

ballfan

I don't dislike TG as a person, or as a player. I hope he gets his playoff win, SB ring and retires knowing there was nothing more he could have done in this great game. With that said, Father Time gets all of us. He is not the same player he was and that potentially limits this offense. No doubt he is a Hall of Fame player. At this point his reputation is greater than his ability.

He still has size. He still has a big body. He is very experienced. He has good hands. All true.

Last year was his best statistical year as a Falcon. Where did he rank in Yards per catch? Where did he rank in catches over 20 yards? Forty something among active TE's.

Can he get the first down when needed? Does the other team's defense have to worry about him going up the seam?

He is good and pretty reliable, but I think he has some age-related deficits now.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't dislike TG as a person, or as a player. I hope he gets his playoff win, SB ring and retires knowing there was nothing more he could have done in this great game. He still has size. He still has a big body. He is very experienced. He has good hands. All true.

Last year was his best statistical year as a Falcon. Where did he rank in Yards per catch? Where did he rank in catches over 20 yards? Forty something among active TE's.

Can he get the first down when needed? Does the other team's defense have to worry about him going up the seam? He is good and pretty reliable, but I think he has some age-related deficits now.

If Ryan has the time to send him a catchable ball he will catch it. Your decision on his age doesn't yet hold water. Next year.........if he were to play........I'll agree with you.

Sorry this thread is a fail TG doesn't have to worry about speed he can use nouse and experience to get open..

All this father time stuff please have a look inside the 20 I guarantee you TG is option 1 or 1A sorry OP I just can't agree with the title of this thread as I believe when push comes to shove TG will get it done you watch when the season starts for REAL he'll be giving opposing DC fits and will always have to be accounted for.

Edited by kiwifalcon

I appreciate that , thank you.

Weak hurricanes are meh. Its really just an excuse to take a day off and party. You can tell a Floridian on how they react to a storm. Ive seen bad. Ive lost two houses in my life. One from hurricane Opal in 04' and then again from hurricane Ivan in 04' Those were storms to fear. It is like I said a cat 1-2 is a party. The beer makes the loss of electricity bearable.

Yeah, watch yourself brother. I'm from Gulfport, MS. We've had a few slobberknockers come through my hometown.

He's only played that 1 game and it was raining. Ever tried catching a football in the rain?

This is really neither here nor there, as I still have confidence in TonyG, but it was NOT raining for a single moment that our first-stringers were on the field. It was actually a really lovely evening at the stadium until the last 6 minutes.

This is really neither here nor there, as I still have confidence in TonyG, but it was NOT raining for a single moment that our first-stringers were on the field. It was actually a really lovely evening at the stadium until the last 6 minutes.

That's the way it appeared on television BC...then it looked like the sky just freaking opened up.

Did you get caught in that?

Yeah, watch yourself brother. I'm from Gulfport, MS. We've had a few slobberknockers come through my hometown.

My mom is from the Gulfport/Biloxi area and that is where my grandmother is buried. That place has been through it with the storms.

I pray for rest for that area. After the last one blew through there it took us over four hours to find and clean my grandmothers grave site.

My mom is from the Gulfport/Biloxi area and that is where my grandmother is buried. That place has been through it with the storms.

I pray for rest for that area. After the last one blew through there it took us over four hours to find and clean my grandmothers grave site.

Hey brother...My grandparents and older sister are buried in Long Beach.....Camille and Katrina both just landed wicked haymakers down there....of course we didn't get near the publicity that New Orleans did. Most Mississippians just shut up and rebuild.

That's the way it appeared on television BC...then it looked like the sky just freaking opened up.

Did you get caught in that?

I was really lucky ... our seats were under an overhang so we were able to stay dry until the end, and the rain let up practically right after the game so everyone could get to their cars.

I have tons of respect, though, for the Falcons fans in the section below me. EVERY Dolphins fan had left their own stadium, but these fans stood down there until the final second, in sheets of rain and wind, drenched, cheering, and flying their Falcons flag through the storm. It was a thing of beauty, I tell ya.

IMG_0682.jpg

• 2 months later...

I have nothing against the OP, he's a good poster, I was just looking through old threads and came across this. I don't really care for shaming people after the fact, given that I've been wrong so often.

If you'd like, I can go back to the Chiefs, Broncos, and Chargers game prediction threads and show that I thought we'd lose all of them... :D

I have nothing against the OP, he's a good poster, I was just looking through old threads and came across this. I don't really care for shaming people after the fact, given that I've been wrong so often.

If you'd like, I can go back to the Chiefs, Broncos, and Chargers game prediction threads and show that I thought we'd lose all of them... biggrin.png

Me neither, but to form an opinion on a man who had 80 receptions last year in preseason, is a bit premature, imo.

Edited by vabchbirdlover

TG has looked great this season. He looks faster than last season and has even been breaking tackles and fighting for yards up field. I honestly feel he has played better this season than last, and thats saying something!.

This may be contributed to him having more 1-on-1 matchups this season, but i still think he is looking great out there.

Dude is on pace to have his best season ever as a Falcon in receptions, yards and TDs.

True..I was just stating past 3 games he has not been a factor ..Offense has been more surrounded around Julio/Roddy and Now Turner and Quizz... I think Tony G can still play at a very high level but Falcons need to find his replacement in draft this off season . I wouldnt mind having Tony G back 1 more season but I think this is truly it for him so we need to send him out a champion