Sam Baker

vel

I have to keep tooting his horn since nobody else will. I want somebody to point me out 5 bad plays from Baker in the 3 games so far. I triple dog dare you. Baker has shown up and shown out so far and I am truly impressed. He has held his own.

Nobody is giving this man his credit given his very poor past, but so far, he has rarely been beaten or given up pressure. I don't care, I will say I am on board the Sam Baker train until further notice. With Holmes showing he can pass block well without even a single snap in TC, I think we will be fine at LT.

I am happy for Baker and this only helps our team. I guess he truly is healthy, whether it's a contract year or not.

I have to keep tooting his horn since nobody else will. I want somebody to point me out 5 bad plays from Baker in the 3 games so far. I triple dog dare you. Baker has shown up and shown out so far and I am truly impressed. He has held his own.

Nobody is giving this man his credit given his very poor past, but so far, he has rarely been beaten or given up pressure. I don't care, I will say I am on board the Sam Baker train until further notice. With Holmes showing he can pass block well without even a single snap in TC, I think we will be fine at LT.

I am happy for Baker and this only helps our team. I guess he truly is healthy, whether it's a contract year or not.

Say, Veteran Falcon, your first name wouldn't be Sam by chance..? wink.png

Edited by Ranger 69

See what happens when you have a good coach that can teach these guys proper technique. I hope this cuts down on the stupid Baker jokes for a while, he's been great.

Holmes is looking like he will be a good backup too this year. To think, everyone was doom and gloom on the subject when they found out Svitek was out for the season.

How did he do against Wake? I couldnt see much of the game at all but I know Wake had a couple sacks, he's the first real pass rusher we've gone against this preseason

Wouldnt mind seeing some 6OL formations with an extra OT as a TE beside the LT if the pocket keeps collapsing

Wake's sacks both came against clabo.

Perhaps we should kick Clabo in to RG where he can use his size and not worry about speed rushers

LT Baker

LG Blalock

C McClure/Konz/Hawley

RG Clabo

RT Holmes

Gives us a pair of big guards to actually move people in the run game, a big young pass protector at RT. Holmes run blocking may not be much of an issue in this configuration, we're not going to be an outside running team, simply using his size to wall off his man from the play is good enough for year 1

Anchor the pocket with 2 big guards, and 2 pass protectors at ot

You guys see Baker the way I see Ryan. It will take a lot for me to feel Ryan can be a top tier QB. I see him in the on the edge of 2nd tier. You see Baker as a terrible player till he proves you wrong when it matters. I never thought Baker was terrible. Just average. He has short arms and doesn't blow anyone off the ball but he's tough and he is consistent.

I know it's just preseason and not something to get hyped over, but I'm buying Sam Baker. Long term, no, I want Holmes. But for this season, I see Baker having his best season, which really isn't hard to do given his very poor past. I may be jumping the gun and I understand the wait and see approach on Baker, but nobody can really dog him about his play so far.

From PFF: When Will Svitek went down last week we opined on twitter it would hurt the Falcons’ new found focus on the passing game if Baker couldn’t raise his output and shake off the injury bug. While this game against Miami was far from an outstanding performance, he didn’t give a great deal away as a pass protector, though he did struggle as a run blocker at the point of attack on the rare occasions the Falcons ran behind him. There is still a sense that Baker is on a knife edge though, as there were more than a handful of blocks that were a case of ‘nearly’ pressure, where you felt that he was just clinging onto the block rather than really controlling the opposing pass rusher. In a regular season game you feel as though Baker would have been given a far more thorough and consistent examination from Cameron Wake, but he was spared in this game.