Lamark Brown Is 6'3" 220Lbs. (Same Size As Julio). Can He Really Play Nfl Tight End Position?

g-dawg

I have been as impressed as most of you guys have with this LaMark Brown - but isn't he just an oversized receiver? He is basically the same size as Julio Jones - obviously not as fast.

How many Tight Ends in that play significant time in NFL are under 230lbs.?

just askin'.......What do you guys think? Can LaMark block and hold the point of attack like a real tight end is supposed to do? I know the guy is a "player" but is he miscast as a TE? more of a WR?

A very good question.

I guess you have to answer another question first. "What kind of TE do you want"

Tony G. was talking about the evolution of the TE position at the Bengals game.

So do you want an old school TE that can Block and do other things as well as being a receiver. Or do you want one of the newer type TEs that are coming out of college these days that are nothing but basically over sized WRs

My personal choice would be an old school type TE. But that doesn't matter.

It's what Koetter wants and needs.

I've also been impressed by Brown in preseason. (as a receiver)

Guest Negatorris

Julio is pretty big himself.

Lamark has the skills to be a nice receiving TE. I don't know about his blocking yet, but he did things to impress me vs CIN.

Palmer blocks well. I wish he could catch. Lamark has much better hands.

Either one of them isn't too far from being a good TE, imo, but I like Lamark's chances much more.

Palmer has good hands from what I have seen and he gets wide open. There is a huge difference

in the two players with Brown being a far more explosive option. We can use both guys.

Im actually hoping Coffman can rise, to me he would be a better option if he can get healthy and stay that way ......

to be honest, I'm not impressed with any of the #5 WR candidates, so having Brown play a #5 WR/#4 TE/ST guy role wouldn't be all that bad if it makes more sense to keep Coffman than Cone or Davis.

to be honest, I'm not impressed with any of the #5 WR candidates, so having Brown play a #5 WR/#4 TE/ST guy role wouldn't be all that bad if it makes more sense to keep Coffman than Cone or Davis.

Yea, may come down to something like that, would like to see alot of Coffman tonite , see if he can live up to the draft hype, would be something if he did ........

Yea , this is exactly what I was talking about. I think its a great idea.

Palmer blocks well. I wish he could catch. Lamark has much better hands.

Either one of them isn't too far from being a good TE, imo, but I like Lamark's chances much more.

Man, Palmer's a magnet in the passing game. He's just not used that way very often with Tony G on the team.

Yea, may come down to something like that, would like to see alot of Coffman tonite , see if he can live up to the draft hype, would be something if he did ........

I agree but I'm very curious about why Cinci gave up on him so soon. I know he was on IR his rookie year but not sure what happened after that.

A year with a pro organization and they could probably add 15-20 pounds to Brown and make him look more like a TE. The question to me is woul he be able to maintain his speed if he added enough weight/strength to be a "true" TE.

he's not a burner, so that's not an issue I don't think. he's a 4.55-4.6 guy.

TG aside, the best TE i've seen play is the mouth of the "south Shannon Sharp", he was under sized, wasn't very fast and could barely block early in his career. if i'm not mistaken he was drafted as a slow WR and moved to TE. a tight end doesn't have to pancake people, just get in the way.

I like him as a pure stand up TE. Look at Aaron Hernandez. He's heavier than Brown, but they use him as almost a pure stand up TE. If Brown can add 20 pounds to his frame, he'd be in the bold of Keller/Hernandez. In the meantime, put him in a stand up role.

TG aside, the best TE i've seen play is the mouth of the "south Shannon Sharp", he was under sized, wasn't very fast and could barely block early in his career. if i'm not mistaken he was drafted as a slow WR and moved to TE. a tight end doesn't have to pancake people, just get in the way.

LOL!!! Palmer doesn't pancake people at 260lbs, just gets in the way. TBH I've been through with him since last year in the preseason when a 180lb CB flattened him.