Atlsport

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.cato.org/...23n2/coates.pdf

"there are strong reasons to doubt the accuracy of the estimated benefits claimed by economic impact studies.

These impact studies rely upon input-output models of the local or regional economies into which the team and

its new stadium will be placed and estimate the economic impact prospectively. These studies ask the question:

what will happen if a new franchise and stadium enter this community? The results of these studies invariably reflect the

desires of those who commission them, and advocates of stadiums and franchises typically produce

impact studies that find large economic impacts, translated as benefits, from building a stadium or

enticing a team to enter the city."

I think this would be more appropriate for a team like the Vikings, where they are giving $975 million. The Falcons are fronting 70% of the bill, probably more in the end, for a stadium the state will be able to use as it pleases.

The price tag for our new stadium will be at least $1.2B before it's all said and done.

Im sure of that. We all know how estimates work in regards to construction. Even more so with a project that large. I had a chance to see the new Dallas stadium a few months ago. If ours is anything like it everyone will be very impressed. It such a nice place.

Alot of folks out there can barely eat right now, and they want taxpayers to fund 300 million of this ? .....what about the sewers , what about our water and traffic problems ?

Atlanta area people don't really care about the traffic problems. They voted down a tax just recently to help with that situation.

Dude have you been to the stadium in Arizona??

It is freaking awesome.

It would be FANTASTIC for the the falcons to get something like that.

I think it would be more like Reliant Stadium in Houston, though that stadium was done for a lot less. I'm not sure how.

Why wouldn't I? There is no way to drive in the HOV lane as a single driver, but being able to pay to use it? What's wrong with that?

Issue many have, including me with HOT on I-85, is the view that an existing lane was basically stolen for revenue generation rather traffic alleviation. I'm ok with the proposals to construct new toll lanes, repaid by tolls as propsed for I-75. but I digress.

I sort of get the transportation/tax dollar opposition, but I thought that the hotel tax was created to help fund the GWCC and it's operations rather than other projects, transit, roads, schools, sewers etc.

Issue many have, including me with HOT on I-85, is the view that an existing lane was basically stolen for revenue generation rather traffic alleviation. I'm ok with the proposals to construct new toll lanes, repaid by tolls as propsed for I-75. but I digress.

I sort of get the transportation/tax dollar opposition, but I thought that the hotel tax was created to help fund the GWCC and it's operations rather than other projects, transit, roads, schools, sewers etc.

High Occupancy Toll (HOT) lanes are limited-access managed lanes that allow eligible carpoolers, transit, motorcycles and Alternative Fuel Vehicles to use lane for free, while allowing previously ineligible solo drivers to buy back into the lane for a fee. The number of cars using these lanes can be controlled through value pricing via electronic toll collection so as to maintain free-flowing traffic in them at all times, even during the height of rush hours.

Maybe i'm not reading it right. It reads to me like it doesn't take anything away. Carpoolers, transit, motorcycles and Alternative Fuel Vehicles have always been able to use the HOV lane. From my understanding of what I read this HOT lane allows those who want to pay, now can have access to the HOV/HOT lane.

I can see how it sucks to have to pay to ride in the lane, but you couldn't legally ride (solo) over there anyways.

Edited by ltstorm2

High Occupancy Toll (HOT) lanes are limited-access managed lanes that allow eligible carpoolers, transit, motorcycles and Alternative Fuel Vehicles to use lane for free, while allowing previously ineligible solo drivers to buy back into the lane for a fee. The number of cars using these lanes can be controlled through value pricing via electronic toll collection so as to maintain free-flowing traffic in them at all times, even during the height of rush hours.

Maybe i'm not reading it right. It reads to me like it doesn't take anything away. Carpoolers, transit, motorcycles and Alternative Fuel Vehicles have always been able to use the HOV lane. From my understanding of what I read this HOT lane allows those who want to pay, now can have access to the HOV/HOT lane.

I can see how it sucks to have to pay to ride in the lane, but you couldn't legally ride (solo) over there anyways.

This is getting off topic and it's the last I'll add in this forum, if the interstate had been widened to add an additional lane (even if its a toll lane, as proposed for 75), there wouldn't have been the same type of objection. 85 wasn't widened, they just took an existing non revenue generating lane and turned it into a revenue generating lane, that does more to generate revenue than relieve traffic.

Atlanta is always in competition with other cities in the region for events, conventions, NCAA football, basketball, etc.. etc. If the taxpayers so no to TSPLOST, no to the new stadium, and no to any project that will benefit us in the future, they will look back in 10 years and wonder how all the other cities have passed us by. We already do that with transportation.