Falcons: Asante Samuel May Be Odd Man Out In Secondary

Wild Bill

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/19856552/falcons-asante-samuel-may-be-odd-man-out-in-secondary

Falcons: Asante Samuel may be odd man out in secondary

By Mike Singer | CBSSports.com

August 21, 2012 4:01 pm ET<p class="siteTools buttonBar">

Atlanta Falcons coach Mike Smith has used the word “multiplicity” over and over again this preseason. He preached it when pairing various offensive linemen together to find the best combination, and he's preached it in the context of the secondary.

The Falcons have three starting-caliber CBs -- Brent Grimes, Dunta Robinson and Asante Samuel. The team acquired Samuel, the vocal 31-year-old, from Philadelphia for a seventh-round selection this offseason.

Grimes has played predominantly on the left side, Samuel's preferred position, and Robinson has played mostly on the right but has occasionally slid inside on nickel coverage, allowing Samuel to play on the right. All three have filled in with various rotations and with varying degrees of success.

When Samuel got burned on a 50-yard touchdown catch by Cincinnati's A.J. Green in the second quarter of Thursday's preseason game, he was playing left cornerback. Despite the mistake, Samuel clearly has a preference.

“Of course, that is where I made my living,” Samuel said to Orlando Ledbetter of The Atlanta Journal Constitution. “All my production came from the left. It's a new thing for me switching back and forth, trying to get my mojo right. All is good. The coaches are doing what they think is best.”

Grimes and Robinson are listed ahead of Samuel on the team's official depth chart, which could turn into a sticky situation with the veteran corner left out of starting duties. If that were the case, it could legitimize Philadelphia coach Andy Reid's willingness to trade the former Pro-Bowler. Reid caused an offseason stir when he claimed that Samuel's production was in “steep decline.”

Although it seems like Samuel may be on the outside looking in, this is what coaches often refer to as a good problem.

“As we move closer to the start of the regular season, we'll be making that decision,” Smith said. “Again, I think it's to our advantage to keep that in-house in terms of how we want to deploy our corners.”

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This article doesn't even make sense. Just trying to stir ish up, and make Samuel look like a villain. Like there has to be a bad guy or something. There's not even legit evidence, nor does it matter because Nolan has said on many occasions that he will use 3 corners on a regular.

Carry on.

You're serious... Like for real, you're serious.

We sign a top 3 CB and he hates him because he was signed by TD. makes no sense at all. Spent the last two years bltching about Drob and now its "give me Grimes and Robinson" Dude would rather be right about TD than have the team succeed, its crazy.

We sign a top 3 CB and he hates him because he was signed by TD. makes no sense at all. Spent the last two years bltching about Drob and now its "give me Grimes and Robinson" Dude would rather be right about TD than have the team succeed, its crazy.

Sadly thats about 60% of the posters on here...

Am I the only person who thought our pass defense was pretty **** good? Man he gave up a TD even Revis gives them up from time to time. You gotta give that play to Cincy they callled it and excecuted it perfectly they got us on that one BIG DEAL

Sadly thats about 60% of the posters on here...

Same as it ever was. It used to be people hoping that Warrick Dunn played poorly so Duckett looked better. Then, it was people hoping that Ryan played poorly so that we would see how we screwed YKW. I don't understands why some fans have that mindset (yes, they are fans).