Davis Or Redman

razrtalon

Redman than Davis as our 3rd QB. Davis would continue to be groomed and will take over the backup job when Redman retires next year.

The one caveat is that Davis "could" pass Redman on the depth chart if Ryan has to miss a game. In other words, Redman would take over during a game, but if Davis is ready, he could get a start for an entire game.

I know what you are thinking. If we would have him start, why wouldn't he be the backup? Redman is a similar mold of Ryan and we'd have a specific gameplan for our opponent. Redman would be better suited to execute that gameplan. If we had a week to prepare, we could add a lot of wrinkles with Davis' capabilities which could make him a better starting option, but not as desirable as a backup.

Come on guys...if Matt Ryan is out for a game or two b/c of injury, there is no question that Redman would and should be the guy. He does not have the physical tools of Davis and is a mediocre backup at best. But he is "seasoned" and with the offensive weapons we have, Redman can win a game or two. Davis is, no doubt "the future" (kidding) at the backup position, but right now, there is no way I would want him starting. And yea...JPW is out.

Come on guys...if Matt Ryan is out for a game or two b/c of injury, there is no question that Redman would and should be the guy. He does not have the physical tools of Davis and is a mediocre backup at best. But he is "seasoned" and with the offensive weapons we have, Redman can win a game or two. Davis is, no doubt "the future" (kidding) at the backup position, but right now, there is no way I would want him starting. And yea...JPW is out.

Ryan wasn't "seasoned" when he got the starting gig after week 2 of the preseason his rookie year so what's wrong with Dom getting the #2 spot?

Granted I wouldn't have a problem with Chris holding down the backup role as long as Davis is on the team but IMO if you have a younger guy and an older guy are on equal footing then you give the nod to the younger guy.

Ryan wasn't "seasoned" when he got the starting gig after week 2 of the preseason his rookie year so what's wrong with Dom getting the #2 spot?

Granted I wouldn't have a problem with Chris holding down the backup role as long as Davis is on the team but IMO if you have a younger guy and an older guy are on equal footing then you give the nod to the younger guy.

Superb point about the similarity in experience between a rookie Ryan and Davis man.

If Ryan went down I am now convinced that the best chance the Falcons would have to win rests in the form of Dominique Davis.

Redman for now. We're in trouble if either of these two sees the field in other than mop-up duty this season, but I don't see Davis getting reps with the second unit and I'd hate to see him take the field against starters without at least a couple of weeks practicing with the best.

Superb point about the similarity in experience between a rookie Ryan and Davis man.

If Ryan went down I am now convinced that the best chance the Falcons would have to win rests in the form of Dominique Davis.

I agree but if Redman keeps the job I'm ok as long as Davis is being groomed to be next on the dept chart by years end. He has a lot of potential and it would be a shame to not see it grow into either a potential starter or some 1st or 2nd round draft picks.

It's been a while we have had a quality backup at the position so why not start now?

I was honestly surprised we spent the money bringing back Redman. I was hoping we would've signed a vet who's younger than him, and used a 5th, 6th, or 7th on a QB. That way,. we could've gotten rid of JPW, too.

I'm stoked that Davis is taking advantage of this opportunity, but the kid is still very raw. There's little doubt in my mind that he should unseat JPW, but I'm torn on the idea of him as the #2

Redman for now. We're in trouble if either of these two sees the field in other than mop-up duty this season, but I don't see Davis getting reps with the second unit and I'd hate to see him take the field against starters without at least a couple of weeks practicing with the best.

I agree, but then again if they are seeing the field for any significant amount of time, we probably wouldn't be worth a turd anyway, so you might as well let the kid get some experience & plan on getting a higher than normal 1st to spend on a LT (if Baker continues to disapoint).If Matt goes down for an extended amount of time, you know Redman isn't good enough to cut it for the long term, so it makes little sense to put him on the field... gotta go with the upside if it's a long term thing.

Seems like alot of you are torn between redman and Davis. I do think redman has been groomed and is more likely to run the offense similar to Ryan. Davis carries more upside but is raw. I don't want him hitting the market though let jp go to the practice squad. Davis needs to make this final roster.

Guest Fibonacci/Mashburn

Davis did good in the first game. really really good in the second. but I still need to see how he does the rest of the pre-season. Redman stunk, but you also have to factor in who his line was.JPW needs to be cut...really he needs to be.

sorry but something tells me just to wait it out the next couple of weeks and see how this kid does, before he goes number two. and if he makes it as number 3 on the roster, does not mean he really is. if he does just good the next two games, then "IF" a day comes he will be thrown in before redman....even if redman is listed as number 2.

Anyone who says Davis RIGHT NOW is being a homer. The kid has played 2 preseason games against 4th stringers. The 2nd pre season game he came in and played when we were down 11 with 4 min left and was taking what Cinci's D gave him.

Having said that, he played great. Can't deny that, but it all comes down to not seeing enough of him. There is no way to turn it around and make it seem legit that he should start over Redman RIGHT NOW.

Now say he comes in week 3 and 4 and plays lights out against 1st or 2nd teamers and Redman is sucking then maybe he should deserve the #2 role, but until he plays against better competition there is no way on this earth that he is taking Redmans job.

Redman even though he's disappointed me. Davis is way too raw, but I'd like to see him as the 3rd QB and see if he gets good enough to compete for the backup spot next year. I'd really like to see another veteran QB brought in to compete with Redman for the 2nd spot.

JPW- Why the **** is he still on the team?

Redman even though he's disappointed me. Davis is way too raw, but I'd like to see him as the 3rd QB and see if he gets good enough to compete for the backup spot next year. I'd really like to see another veteran QB brought in to compete with Redman for the 2nd spot.

JPW- Why the **** is he still on the team?

How much is jpw being paid? Not much I'm sure but it's wasted cap space. He has not shown much this preseason. I'm assuming he does better in practices or he would be gone already but seriously cut him.

Edited by razrtalon

i'v always like Redman as our number two, he is a serviceable backup, stands in the pocket and delivers the ball, takes a lot of hits though. i cant tell if our guys easy up or if the other team ramps up when he gets in. but i cant wait for Davis to take over the spot. if not this year next year after a season under his belt he has a good arm plus, he brings something none of our other QB's bring, mobility.

If Redman cant throw a TD he shouldnt be #2. Anyone can hand a ball to Turner.

If Davis gets some snaps vs other teams #1 with our #1`s, we should know how he is. He looks to have a lot of upside and Redman is well past his ceiling, he is standing on the roof about to fall off.

Edited by danight