Jonathan Fanene

I have a feeling this guy is headed our way.

#1) DT is our biggest liability. Peters is out indefinitely and Jerry is a starter right now. Robertson is a work in progress as expected. We need a guy who can make a difference in the middle and if healthy, he's an underrated difference maker. He can play on a snap count rotating with Peters and Jerry and Babs so everyone can stay fresh like the better DLs in the league.

#2) Hes injured. I delivered it this way for the TD naysayers who were going to say he's hurt he's definitely TD's fave FA evaaaaa. Now that that's out of the way, the simple point is TD has shown a willingness to gamble on players with I jury histories. The Pats just got him this offseason and some NFL analysts called the move perhaps the best move of the offseason while being under the radar. He's a relentless DT and active against the run and pass when he's on the field. Many teams will shy away from putting a claim on an injured player, but with the state of our DT situation plus TD's willingness to gamble, I think we could very well do that.

Fanene is a 6'4 290 lb DT, who played in all 16 games for the Bengals last season only starting 2 and racked up 6.5 sacks and 24 tackles.

We could stash him on our bench of if allowed the PUP list, let him get his knee scoped or whatever he needs, and have him back by midseason and hitting his stride going into the playoffs. That's what happened for the Giants D line last year with their injuries and all getting healthy at the right time. We could go from having a bad DT situation to a pretty good one with Babineaux, Fanene, and Peters all rotating in (and could make up our 3 man front for 3-4 looks) with Jerry as the top backup.

Well worth the gamble considering what this team wants to accomplish this season.

The next DT we aquire should be a 400 lb. Sumo wrestler, not another quikish gap splitter, this move does us no good and means we have to part with Walker or Robertson who is showing promise ...

Or we could cut Jerry and save his contract money. Fanene is light years better than Jerry and Walker when healthy, and Robertson at this point in time could only carry his jock which is what a late round rookie should be doing anyway.

Fanene may be under 300 lbs but he plays like a big guy at 6'4 290 lbs and his game reminds of Jay Ratliff, the 3-4 NT in Dallas, who is 6'4 300 even. He's a very tough player and a relentless one and would be a great addition to our D line.

It isn't a long term solution, it's a solution for this season until we can address the position better in the draft likely with a 1st round pick (Star, Hankins) or in FA.

I have a feeling this guy is headed our way.

#1) DT is our biggest liability. Peters is out indefinitely and Jerry is a starter right now. Robertson is a work in progress as expected. We need a guy who can make a difference in the middle and if healthy, he's an underrated difference maker. He can play on a snap count rotating with Peters and Jerry and Babs so everyone can stay fresh like the better DLs in the league.

#2) Hes injured. I delivered it this way for the TD naysayers who were going to say he's hurt he's definitely TD's fave FA evaaaaa. Now that that's out of the way, the simple point is TD has shown a willingness to gamble on players with I jury histories. The Pats just got him this offseason and some NFL analysts called the move perhaps the best move of the offseason while being under the radar. He's a relentless DT and active against the run and pass when he's on the field. Many teams will shy away from putting a claim on an injured player, but with the state of our DT situation plus TD's willingness to gamble, I think we could very well do that.

Fanene is a 6'4 290 lb DT, who played in all 16 games for the Bengals last season only starting 2 and racked up 6.5 sacks and 24 tackles.

We could stash him on our bench of if allowed the PUP list, let him get his knee scoped or whatever he needs, and have him back by midseason and hitting his stride going into the playoffs. That's what happened for the Giants D line last year with their injuries and all getting healthy at the right time. We could go from having a bad DT situation to a pretty good one with Babineaux, Fanene, and Peters all rotating in (and could make up our 3 man front for 3-4 looks) with Jerry as the top backup.

Well worth the gamble considering what this team wants to accomplish this season.

There's a reason the Pats dumped him after they paid him. They just gave him 4mil, and if the knee was as "minor" as they are saying, they would've kept him. Seems like the knee is worse than they are admitting...

Or we could cut Jerry and save his contract money. Fanene is light years better than Jerry and Walker when healthy, and Robertson at this point in time could only carry his jock which is what a late round rookie should be doing anyway.

Fanene may be under 300 lbs but he plays like a big guy at 6'4 290 lbs and his game reminds of Jay Ratliff, the 3-4 NT in Dallas, who is 6'4 300 even. He's a very tough player and a relentless one and would be a great addition to our D line.

It isn't a long term solution, it's a solution for this season until we can address the position better in the draft likely with a 1st round pick (Star, Hankins) or in FA.

The problem is, he's not healthy. It's no solution at all.

So we would get Fanene because Peters is injured yet you said Fanene wouldn't be ready till midseason when Peters is probably healthy? Peters could be healthy by week 1 for all we know. What good is that going to do? And then you want to cut Jerry who is finally healthy and having a great camp?? Sorry I don't see that as being very helpful at all. If he was 100% healthy then maybe but he could be worse off than Peters is.

Edited by Clark Kent

Well it's an interesting proposition, but I think the posts above capture why it probably won't happen. I think the emergence of Perry to his former self makes this DL much better than I thought it would be. Our big unknown is the Peters injury, which is being carefully concealed as usual in Flowery Branch. Don't forget TD still has plenty of contacts on the Pats. I am sure he can get someone to let him in on how seriously he is injured.

How do we know that Corey Peters is out indefinately? Coach Smith has had two press conferences and he only said that Peters would be evaluated after 10-14 days. He hasn't been evaluated yet so why jump the gun saying that this Jonathan Fanene is a player that we should get? Let's wait and see what Peters evaluation is before we jump the gun.

Fanene is injured and was cut here and there. Jerry is playing better, Vance is back and

Travian is looking promising and Peters will heal up at some point. Our issue is not at DT

or DE.

You just named a lot of mediocre DTs.

No team wants Jerry, Vance, Travian, or Peters starting for them. Peters is starting for us not because he's been one of the better DTs in the League or even the NFC but because our other DTs are terrible at the NFL level.

Fanene needs his knee scoped. When healthy, he may be our best DT. He doesn't struggle with injuries, he just currently has one. The Patriots also just used a 1st rounder on Chandler Jones and spent high picks in recent years on DL like Ron brace who has played well. The Pats are deep and didn't need to pay him 4.5 mil.

We have a very different situation. It's funny because if he was 20 lbs heavier at 6'4 310 everyone would say to do it.

Guaranteed this same thread is started about Shaun Smith who the Titans released today, and signing him would be a good move, but everyone will be on board because of his size.

You just named a lot of mediocre DTs.

No team wants Jerry, Vance, Travian, or Peters starting for them. Peters is starting for us not because he's been one of the better DTs in the League or even the NFC but because our other DTs are terrible at the NFL level.

Fanene needs his knee scoped. When healthy, he may be our best DT. He doesn't struggle with injuries, he just currently has one. The Patriots also just used a 1st rounder on Chandler Jones and spent high picks in recent years on DL like Ron brace who has played well. The Pats are deep and didn't need to pay him 4.5 mil.

We have a very different situation. It's funny because if he was 20 lbs heavier at 6'4 310 everyone would say to do it.

Guaranteed this same thread is started about Shaun Smith who the Titans released today, and signing him would be a good move, but everyone will be on board because of his size.

Shaun Smith is healthy lol

You don't pay a guy like 4.5m or whatever it was and then just flat out release him like the Pats did unless something is really wrong with the guy. Who knows it ifs JUST a knee scope? Even if it is it could be a big deal. Knee injuries on D lineman are not just casual. Its not like by midseason when he is healthy he will jump right in and start dominating. It could take him all of the rest of the season to get back to form.

Edited by Clark Kent