falcon_bob

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Medlen draws comparisons to Maddox

Medlen draws comparisons to Maddox

September 13, 2012 10:11 PM EDT

Kris Medlen takes the mound for the Braves tonight in game one of a pivotal series against the Washington Nationals. The Atlanta starter has been stellar since joining the rotation, posting a 0.81 ERA and allowing only five earned runs.

During that stretch, Medlen had a streak of 34 2/3 innings without giving up a run, the longest such stretch for the Braves since Greg Maddox had a streak of 39 1/3 innings in 2000. Medlen’s success this season has caused many to draw comparisons between the young ace and Maddox, and while they both have been successful with the Braves, they took a much different route to arrive in Atlanta.

Greg Maddox was drafted by the Chicago Cubs in 1984 and joined the team in 1986. In his first game, he made an appearance in an eighteen-inning marathon against Houston, giving up a home run to lose the games for the Cubs. From then on, Maddox was a stayed out of the bullpen.

In his first start, he pitched a complete game, giving up 11 hits but allowing only three runs in the win. Maddox struggled in 1987, but by 1988, he had figured out his game, winning 18 games and earning his first All-Star appearance. Maddox continued his success with the Cubs, winning 19 games in 1989 and 15 games in both 1990 and 1991. Maddox also won his first Gold Glove in 1990, beginning a streak of 14 straight years in which he won the fielding award.

Maddox won his first Cy Young in 1992, winning 20 games and posting an ERA of 2.18 in his final season with the Cubs. Maddox signed with Atlanta in the off-season and was a big part of the Braves’ success in the 90s, earning double digit wins in each of his eleven years with the club, as well as three more Cy Youngs.

Medlen, on the other hand, began his career with the Braves, being drafted in the 10th round in 2006. Medlen began his career as a starter, but was moved to the bullpen to make room for Tommy Hanson in 2009. Then, in 2010, Medlen tore a ligament in his elbow and required Tommy John surgery. Medlen would miss most of the 2011 season rehabbing his injured arm.

Medlen’s greatest success came this year. He began the season in the bullpen, but he was moved to the rotation at the end of July and never looked back.

The Braves are hoping that the comparisons won’t stop there and Medlen will be able to continue his success in the future, perhaps becoming the perennial Cy Young candidate winner the club has been lacking in recent years. With the Braves heading for a one-game playoff in the Wild Car round, the team will be face with a difficult decision: which pitcher should start a game that will decide the season? Luckily, it seems that Kris Medlen has provided an answer.

Edited by Flip Wilson

If this streak of his team winnig in each of his 22 starts continues with this play-in game and into the playoffs, I imagine those playoff wins count the same as regular season winns for that particular record.

That I'm not entirely sure of. Most records like that only account for regular season games.

Huffington Post

Sharief Easterling

Tribute To Chipper Jones

Posted: 10/01/2012 11:25 am

After an incredible nineteen year career with the Atlanta Braves, future first ballot Hall Of Fame third baseman Chipper Jones will finally call it quits after this season. As a die hard Braves fan this has been especially hard for me to deal with. Rooting for Chipper and the Braves has been a family tradition for as long as I can remember. A tradition that started by grandfather Harold Pace, who lived in Greenville, South Carolina. Greenville is a minor league affiliate for the Braves, and the place where our future superstars go to prepare themselves for the big leagues. In '92 I can vividly remember Grandpa raving about the new shortstop (Chipper's original position) from Florida who would "finally win us a championship!" I'd heard him get excited about minor leaguers before, and only being six at the time I couldn't really identify individual players but something about this guy was special. The .346 BA .367 OBP and .594 SLG he posted in Greenville were more than enough to win over any fan but for me it all started with the name... Chipper! "Chipper Jones" sounded like the secret identity of a baseball super hero, like it was tailor made for ESPN and the cover of Sports Illustrated. I was hooked!

It was 1995 when Chipper made his major league debut, and as promised by my beloved grandfather he immediately lead us to the promise land. In his rookie season we beat the Cleveland Indians to win the World Series and I was absolutely beside myself. In my obnoxious nine year old glory I wholeheartedly believed that Chipper would then win a championship for us every year! I mean... he was a superhero! The Braves lost the World Series in seven games to the Minnesota Twins in 1991 and in six to the Blue Jays in 1992 before Chipper's arrival. So clearly with him on third base we'd established an unstoppable dynasty, right? Gotta love that nine year old logic.

The Chipper-lead Braves won ten consecutive division titles from 1995 - 2004 and although Atlanta hasn't won a championship since 95 they served as Major League Baseball's model franchise for well over a decade. The sportsmanship, class, and dedication of Mr. Larry Jones Jr was unparalleled. He's undoubtedly one of the best switch hitters and third basemen of all time and in my opinion the best player of his era.

Living in Brooklyn I wouldn't get regional coverage of Braves games but thanks to Ted Turner's TNT network (Thank GOD for TNT!!) I had the opportunity to watch them play everyday for years. I'll always be a Braves fan but its going to be extremely hard knowing my main man will no longer be batting and playing third for us. Never again will I get to hear a stadium full of hopeless Mets fans chant "Laaaaaarryyy Laaaaaaarryyy" before he doubles in the game winning run. Or hear Ozzy Osbourne's "Crazy Train" as he leaves the on deck circle and approaches the plate. No more five-four-three double plays, no more walkoff home-runs, no more post game interviews. I'm very optimistic about the next generation of Braves players and the opportunity to pass the tradition on to my children and theirs, but there will always be a special place in my heart for the team I grew up with. Outside of family and friends how many things can maintain relevance in our lives for two decades? I've been alive for twenty-six years and Chipper Jones has been apart of nineteen of them, just as significant on my fifth birthday as my twenty fifth. Its been a pleasure tomahawk chopping for all these years and I'm looking forward to keeping it up in the future. On behalf of myself and more importantly my late grandfather Harold Pace I bid Farewell to the face of our franchise, the face of the NL East, and the face of Southern baseball. Goodbye, Chipper thanks for all the memories.

I wonder how many of us will have to find another favorite Brave after this season. I have worn #10 since about 97 or 98.

It's going to be hard to pick a favorite between Freddie, Jason, Medlen, and Kimbrel. I might just have to get one of each.

Mine was Hanson, but he's proven himself utterly worthless this year. Probably will move on to Jason or Kimbrel.

Mine was Hanson, but he's proven himself utterly worthless this year. Probably will move on to Jason or Kimbrel.

I was big on Hanson before this season as well. Tommy John Surgery seems to be great for some and wreck others. Maybe the extent of the damage was more severe. Who Knows? Needless to say, I would just like to see him get back to where was.

I was big on Hanson before this season as well. Tommy John Surgery seems to be great for some and wreck others. Maybe the extent of the damage was more severe. Who Knows? Needless to say, I would just like to see him get back to where was.

Never had TJ. His problem was shoulder and rotator cuff issues.

Gotcha. Both Medlen and Beachy have. Maybe he should just go ahead and have it. LOL. It's worked out well for Medlen.

We've had 3 guys (4 if Vizcaino was still in the organization) undergo TJ and the first two have done extremely well since recovering (Medlen and Hudson). I agree though, he needs to have surgery and overhaul his mechanics. He's still fairly young, and while it might take a year of refinement, a sustained career in his eyes should be worth it.