The A B F Baseball Thread

falcon_bob

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the thing that worries me most about the Gnats....

They were built like the 1990 Braves. We were bottom dwellers for so long and accumulated so many good draft picks (largely because of Bobby Cox) and it all came together for us in 1990. I knew that the same thing was bound to happen with the Gnats. Now they are a great young team that is poised to win for a long time.

Hopefully they pull Strasburg before too long and we get real hot. We are definetly still in the division race even after losing this series.

Braves had money to burn in the 90's unlike the Nats. They are going to have some real holes offensively, and their position player prospects are about as thin as the Braves right now. They've got 3 real long-term hitters in that lineup (Desmond, Harper, and Zimmerman) that would scare me in the future.

Braves had money to burn in the 90's unlike the Nats. They are going to have some real holes offensively, and their position player prospects are about as thin as the Braves right now. They've got 3 real long-term hitters in that lineup (Desmond, Harper, and Zimmerman) that would scare me in the future.

What if a rotation that already has J. Zimmermann, Strasburg and Gonzalez gets even better over the next couple of years? That scares me a little.

What if a rotation that already has J. Zimmermann, Strasburg and Gonzalez gets even better over the next couple of years? That scares me a little.

I don't think highly of Gonzalez because he is pretty much doing something this year (walking less batters) at a rate he's never done in his career. He will still continue to be a good pitcher, but they won't be able to afford having 3 guys with that potential and field a competent lineup forever. Strasburg only has 3 more years left before he is a FA, and he is going to command top dollar, especially if he continues to pitch like this (when I say top dollar, I mean $25m+ a season). Zimmermann is a guy comparable to Jurrjens in his successful years. Good pitcher, but not a real ace.

Won't take anything away from them, but they have some real lineup problems coming up soon at 2B, 1B, CF, and possibly LF if Morse falls off (already 30 and isn't nearly the hitter he's made out to be). That's half of a lineup right there, with only a couple of really decent looking MiL prospects (Rendon and Goodwin, but even they are questionable). Gonna have a lot of money tied up in the rotation if they choose to keep it together.

If anything, the Braves future looks just as bright. Heyward is really coming into his own this season, and barring injuries, looks like he can be a mainstay in the 3-hole for a long time. Freeman has put the sophomore slump questions to rest with him leading the team in RBI, leading the league in 2-out RBI, and improving on his plate discipline. Simmons, if his offense continues to trend upwards as it has the past 2+ years, looks to be a potential All-Star at short, and Prado seems destined to man 3rd or 2nd base for quite a few years. The rotation as it stands right now is fairly young, and pretty affordable. There are only a couple of older players comprising the starting rotation, one being a FA after this season, and the other nearing the end of his contract. Medlen has really proven himself as a starter when given the chance, and Minor has made some great strides this year despite the early struggles. With the great rotational depth Wren and co. have built, including minor leaguers like Delgado, Teheran, Gilmartin, Sims, we have some maneuverability to make a deal or two for a long-term bat in the OF or at 3B.

If you really look at the core of this team, it is comprised of players around the ages of 27 or younger (oldest one I mentioned is Prado, at his soon-to-be age of 29), with the majority of them still being arbitration eligible for another 3-4 years. There will understandably be some holes in our lineup as well with the loss of Chipper, and the potential exits of Bourn and McCann, but like I said, with our organizational depth, we can make moves to fill out those positions.