Can Lamark Brown Block?

I dont think he is much of a blocker but i could be wrong.Its like Tony G said alot of these guys are asked to either block or be a pass catching TE in college. He can be taught blocking technique but his hands are nice he could be a Arron hernandez type TE for us-he looked good last night. I want to see what Coffman has. hes a big fast guy-reminds me of Jimmy Grahm.....

in stature only

LaMark Brown, WR, Minnesota-Mankato State (6-3/228): Began his career at Kansas State, playing both wide receiver and running back. Over the course of his career at K-State, he caught 45 passes for 426 yards (9.5 avg) and 3 touchdowns, and rushed the ball 118 times for 412 yards (3.5 avg) and 5 scores. He sat out a year after transferring to Minnesota State-Mankato following his junior season. This past year as a senior, he was third on the team with 31 receptions for 405 yards (13.1 avg) and 5 touchdowns. He also ran the ball 31 times for 98 yards (3.2 avg) and 4 more scores. He ran a 4.48 at his pro day.

He was the 50th rated wide receiver by Kiper.

Edited by 4LoveoftheGame

Guest Fibonacci/Mashburn

in TC he needed to work on it.

at first of mini camp and training camp, he looked horrible at catching. but as time went buy, he stepped up.

I still have not really seen him in as a block.

great question by the way....Because I really want to know as well.

The third TE spot battle will be interesting. I like both Brown and Coffman.

However, though not likely, we could keep both. List Brown as our 5th WR and Coffman as our 3rd TE.

Yeah, I'd definately say, right now, that it is between Brown and Coffman for that 3rd spot.

There was one play in the game where he lined up and took a S or LB completely out of the play, but the fact that he came in at WR in the 2nd quarter and lined up in the backfield and at WR more often than TE makes me think maybe his blocking is not that great.

Regardless, he is better than Cone,Jackson, and Davis at WR IMO.

Some of you putting Coffman on a pedestal and getting your hopes up for him competing for #2 really crack me up. He has done jack squat in the NFL in 4 years, right now we shouldnt look at him as more than a camp body until he actually shows us something. I'd take Brown and Gallarda over him right now, lets be real.

Some of you putting Coffman on a pedestal and getting your hopes up for him competing for #2 really crack me up. He has done jack squat in the NFL in 4 years, right now we shouldnt look at him as more than a camp body until he actually shows us something. I'd take Brown and Gallarda over him right now, lets be real.

Have to say I disagree. Gallarda didn't show much in game 1 and even less in game 2. I thought Coffman was better than Gallarda against the Bengals. Now, we'll see how the two of them do next week, but I still feel that it's between Coffman and Brown for #3 right now. Palmer is the #2.

Edited by hjerry

He was the 50th rated wide receiver by Kiper.

NFL wise, LB is a wide receiver. If he blocks well for a wr, then I'd keep him over Davis...maybe Cone.

The third TE spot battle will be interesting. I like both Brown and Coffman.

However, though not likely, we could keep both. List Brown as our 5th WR and Coffman as our 3rd TE.

Not a bad idea.

Have to say I disagree. Gallarda didn't show much in game 1 and even less in game 2. I thought Coffman was better than Gallarda against the Bengals. Now, we'll see how the two of them do next week, but I still feel that it's between Coffman and Brown for #3 right now. Palmer is the #2.

I've been a big fan of two guys this season - Cone and Gallarda. On Gallarda it just seems a number of people here choose to not watch the TE position in a game - in relative to the run blocking and pass protection blocking packages. They only see the one dimensional "receiving" to value the position. In both game one and two Gallarda's run blocking and pass protect blocking was better than TG, Brown, White and Coffman and equal to Palmer. Just one example in the 3rd quarter at 10:38 remaining if you want to see, Gallarda goes in motion and seals the left corner on Cinci LB Mock for Polite's gain. What was impressive is that he continued his block and drives Mock out of the pileup. The guy finishes and doesn't get tossed around. The guy can receive as well and in game one and hasn't dropped a pass.

I like Brown but he is a WR, not a TE. I actually hope we keep him as the 5th WR.