Great Smokies Or Chattanooga National Forest?

Mary Jones

Yo - my friend and I are thinking of going to the week 2 MNF game against the Broncos. We were thinking of flying into Nashville and driving to ATL from there. We figured to go camping or something like that to break up the driving and by looking at a map, Chattanooga National Forest is kind of on the way to ATL, whereas the Smokies seem a little out of the way, but maybe worth it? We would be leaving Nashville Sunday morning to go camping and would be looking to leave camping on Monday to get to ATL in time for dinner before the game. Keep in mind, we are Northeasterners, so either would be a new experience. Or, if you have another suggestion, let me know. Thanks

Edited by Mary Jones

My wife and I love the Smokies and actually went up there for a week this past June. From the info you provided, I'd think it's out of the way for a day of camping though. If it was a long weekend prior to, I'd say go for it. There's TONS of hiking, wildlife, and waterfalls to check out though if you're ever interested in spending a few days or a week+ camping there. Plus there are some nice small towns in the area that have lots to offer from lots of attractions to next to nothing besides peace and quiet.

I don't know anything about the Chattanooga National Forest though. Did you mean the Chattahoochee National Forest? If so, I'm still not too familiar with the Chattahoochee National Forest though. tongue.png

One thing that you ay consider is just flying into Atlanta, renting a car, and camping at Red Top Mountain State Park (http://www.gastateparks.org/RedTopMountain/). It's a little NW of Atlanta, but it'd cut down on the driving time.

I did mean Chattahoochie .. thanks for the info though

If you are in decent shape look into Blood Mountain. It is the highest peek of the Appalachian Trail in GA, and has a shelter on the top for camping. (built by the CCC in the 30's) You can park at Lake Winfield Scott and hike up there, spend the night, then hike back the next morning. Great views from the top of Blood Mountain make the strenuous hike very worth it.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/blood-mountain-wilderness-area-lake-winfield-scott

Yo - my friend and I are thinking of going to the week 2 MNF game against the Broncos. We were thinking of flying into Nashville and driving to ATL from there. We figured to go camping or something like that to break up the driving and by looking at a map, Chattanooga National Forest is kind of on the way to ATL, whereas the Smokies seem a little out of the way, but maybe worth it? We would be leaving Nashville Sunday morning to go camping and would be looking to leave camping on Monday to get to ATL in time for dinner before the game. Keep in mind, we are Northeasterners, so either would be a new experience. Or, if you have another suggestion, let me know. Thanks

Smokies---you can really get away from civilizaion