Interesting Quote From Mercedes Lewis

Guest Gritz
People seem to think that the only reason we had 4 B2B2B2B seasons was because of Matt Ryan and that if Mularkery weren't here, we would have been would be 76-0 right now over the past 4 years.

What people?

Oh yeah, those imaginary people whom you call upon from time to time to help you make your staggeringly predictable diatribes against Ryan and/or Dimitroff.

I know what you're going to post in every thread before you even write it.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What people?

Oh yeah, those imaginary people whom you call upon from time to time to help you make your staggeringly predictable diatribes against Ryan and/or Dimitroff.

I know what you're going to post in every thread before you even write it.

Lot's of folk here think that without Mularkey, our offense would be top 1 in the league and we would be 4 time Superbowl champions. The fact is, it doesn't get much better than 13-3 in a season especially with a defense that's said to be as complicated as a childeren's connect the dot book.

Lot's of folk here think that without Mularkey, our offense would be top 1 in the league and we would be 4 time Superbowl champions. The fact is, it doesn't get much better than 13-3 in a season especially with a defense that's said to be as complicated as a childeren's connect the dot book.

link?

He can win playoff games and possibly even a superbowl. He just needs a very very good defense in order to do so.

It's a very short list of teams that have won a Super Bowl when their defense was playing well. but mostly I just wanted to set the record straight. I've seen that claim before and it's not true, MM does have a playoff win as an OC, 27-10 over the Ravens in 2001.

I strongly believe that it's what I posted earlier. Mularkey is proficient at introducing young and/or faltering quarterbacks to an offensive system that is steady and relatively safe: Low risk underneath and short seam throws combined with a fairly standard, between the tackles running game.

This.

Mularkey has a decent system in place that will get solid results. However, he doesn't possess one of the best offensive minds in the league because of his lack of creativity and ability to adapt within a game.

To be fair, Mularkey would typically call the first 2-3 series of the game pretty nicely. We'd even see some "creative" plays. However, once we got past the scripted plays, our offense would slow down. MM reverts to run, run, pass. This goes back to my point about why being able to think on your feet is one of the key differences between "mediocrity" and "greatness".

MM's system starts off well for a team, but it then plateaus because of his inability to adapt, both in individual games and over the long haul.

And that, as Tupac might say, is just the way it is.

...and, with MM, some things will always be the same...

dunna dun dunna dun dunna dun...

that's just the way it is...

Edited by BlazerFalcon

It's a very short list of teams that have won a Super Bowl when their defense was playing well. but mostly I just wanted to set the record straight. I've seen that claim before and it's not true, MM does have a playoff win as an OC, 27-10 over the Ravens in 2001.

I wasn't one of those people and I understand the need to correct the fallacy. I meant that his philosophy is only effective if you have a great defense. The Ravens won the SB in 2000 but their offense wouldn't have been able to lead them there with any other defense in the league. I used to watch alot of Mia games. Mularkey was billed as a savior when the Dolphins got him to be their Oc. That was back when Jason Taylor was balling out of his mind and their defense was consistently a top 5 defense. Mularkey's offense held that team back and he did so horribly that they fired him by the end of the year. I believe the offense finished 29th or 30th while the defense finished top 5.

MM is like one of those pretty but really high maintenance girls that is basically just wearing a mask. If you don't supply her with a ton of makeup, hair spray, and give her 3 hours in the morning to prepare herself, you're going to kick yourself everyday for marrying a chick that looks like Lebron James' avatar.

Edited by SpoonSmacked

See, another thing about Mularkey...

He has a system that is GREAT if you have mediocre to subpar talent because his style of ball is about owning TOP and NOT turning the ball over. If you do both of these things, you can get by with average talent in the NFL.

However, the problem with Mularkey comes when you start to stockpile talent, either by acquisition, development, or both - just as the Falcons have done.

We have one of the most talented teams in football, offensively AND defensively.

However, both BVGs and Mularkey's styles revolved around PLAYING IT SAFE and hoping that the OTHER team would **** up as opposed to aggressively attacking them and forcing the **** up's on our own doing.

With AVERAGE TALENT, that is an excellent strategy.

But, when you have as much talent as we do, you eventually realize that we have the ability to do more than simply "playing it safe".

Our offense has everything to perform as one powerful unit for 60 minutes.

I'm hoping that Koetter utilizes that unit to the fullest extent. It's time to let our balls hang out, fellas, and bodybag some bltches.

Edited by BlazerFalcon

Well I've seen every Falcon OC. I still say Mularkey was the best. Buddy knew how to get the balance. Like no other Falcon OC.

He tried his best to carry out Smitty's scheme.

He was knocking on the door in January of 2010 and all of 2011 when the explosive order came down.

The player execution was turrible.

I just hope Kutty will get the job done.

We need rest folks. How bout some fkn rest? In 2012.

Well I've seen every Falcon OC. I still say Mularkey was the best. Buddy knew how to get the balance. Like no other Falcon OC.

He was knocking on the door in January of 2010 and all of 2011 when the explosive order came down.

Please tell me something:

Is HD failing to block a DE a matter of poor execution or poor scheming?

All I want is an answer. I won't be responding so don't expect a response. Thank you. Have a nice day.

Guest Gritz

To be fair, Mularkey would typically call the first 2-3 series of the game pretty nicely. We'd even see some creative plays. However, once we got past the scripted plays, our offense would slow down...

You nailed this too Blazer. The thing that was maddening to me was that Mularkey would inevitably abandon the "creative" plays, even if they worked.....to go back to his bread and butter, tried and true play calls.

Strangely enough though you could count on it like clockwork that Mularkey would call that Dayum weak side Ryan Waggle or Boot 2-4 times a game.....ignoring the FACT that it's success rate was lower percentage wise than Mularkey's shoe size. He wouldn't give up on that play.

Please tell me something:

Is HD failing to block a DE a matter of poor execution or poor scheming?

All I want is an answer. I won't be responding so don't expect a response. Thank you. Have a nice day.

Execution.

I can show you clips of the Jenk Man and other Mularkey WRs making that play.

I'm not so sure HD didn't make the play. What blocking assignment did he miss? I'd like to check it.

Please let me know.

You nailed this too Blazer. The thing that was maddening to me was that Mularkey would inevitably abandon the "creative" plays, even if they worked.....to go back to his bread and butter, tried and true play calls.

Strangely enough though you could count on it like clockwork that Mularkey would call that Dayum weak side Ryan Waggle or Boot 2-4 times a game.....ignoring the FACT that it's success rate was lower percentage wise than Mularkey's shoe size. He wouldn't give up on that play.

LOL

The games over the past few seasons served as a microcosm of Mularkey's tenure here in ATL - he (or our O) started out hot, then leveled off.

Game after game after game.

Against the best teams in the league, I typically felt that if we weren't winning after the first 2-3 series of the game (aka "the scripted plays"), our chances of winning would be slim because of MMs ability (or lack thereof) to call a game within a game.

Edited by BlazerFalcon

Unfortunately, rust might be more likely with our aging starters.