Interesting Quote From Mercedes Lewis

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roddy's production will drop if Ryan gets better protection. I'm not buying that ticket just yet.

I'm concerned about the OL as well but if Roddy catches 80 balls, a chunk of that will be a bit more in space, giving him the opportunity to lessen the loss of production that comes with fewer catches, and thats even with a shaky OL.

ONly seven WRs had more than 80 rec's last year with Marshall, Cruz and Bowe barely topping that, with 82, 82 and 81 catches.. I think around 80 is pretty accurate for Roddy.

I had also predicted a Gonzo drop and doubts that those balls go to Kerry Meier.

ps. it was 8 WR with over 80, but perennials like AJ and Colston missed time, while AJ Green should shoot up there too.

I'm concerned about the OL as well but if Roddy catches 80 balls, a chunk of that will be a bit more in space, giving him the opportunity to lessen the loss of production that comes with fewer catches, and thats even with a shaky OL.

I still think Matt will need that quick outlet. Also think Gonzo will suffer a big drop, with Quizz making up the difference and little loss for White.

In certain instances sure. But 6-8 catches with nice yac and he'll be happy. Watching other guys get yac makes the other guys want to get yac. Then a friendly competition within the team starts and guys want to do more with their opportunities. "My turn" should be heard throughout the team this year or "Get you some". I wanna hear that rather than "Give Roddy or Gonzo the ball"

Roddy is still too good. You keep feeding the big dog.

I see Roddy at 70 catches. Julio around the same. So that means 20 are open. That's a little over 1 a game. Yes. Meier will have 20 catches. Taking them from a certain player is a stretch to say.

A guy like Julio should get 100 catches, Would you trade 5 picks for a future Barry Sanders or Walter Payten and have him carry the ball 125 times a season?

Edited by Mr. Right

Roddy is still too good. You keep feeding the big dog.

U gotta feed him but if that ball is flying around to different guys making plays he's more efficient when he gets the ball. Rice had a few seasons with 60 catches and 1200 yards. I just wanna see more yac. Roddy is still fast and they never really let him showcase his wheels. If other guys are making plays they slack up on Roddy and something big happens. Like Roddy said you can't double everybody. Pick your poison and die a slow death.

A guy like Julio should get 100 catches, Would you trade 5 picks for a future Barry Sanders or Walter Payten and have him carry the ball 125 times a season?

You don't have to have 100 catches to be efficient tho. you can have both Roddy and Julio in the 80-90 range and be happy. Especially if they're getting yac

MM had/has a good play book.

He can be very inventive and can design some really unique plays that can be mucho effective.

The problem he has/had here is he often times would not use that creativity to the best he can.;

I offer 2 examples of 2 games that had the falcons offense looking like 2 different teams,

Example 1.

Greenbay.

The first half the falcons offense looked GREAT. We had good balance, we were keeping the packers off balance , we had good protection because of that and the packers had issues stopping us.

The second half??? It is like MM forgot EVERYTHING that was working and just went back to everything we have seen time and time again.

Example 2.

Carolina in Carolina

First half....................the play calling and execution was lackadaisical at best.

The second half???We looked like the best offense in the league.We were getting the ball to our play makers.

Hopefully DK can find that good balance between that

I had also predicted a Gonzo drop and doubts that those balls go to Kerry Meier.

ps. it was 8 WR with over 80, but perennials like AJ and Colston missed time, while AJ Green should shoot up there too.

My bad. But still, that's not many wideouts with significantly more catches above the 80 mark. With around 80 Roddy will have right about the amount of catches as the best WRs in the league, and will still be one of the most used WRs.

I still think Matt will need that quick outlet. Also think Gonzo will suffer a big drop, with Quizz making up the difference and little loss for White.

I think Gonzo is more of a security blanket for Ryan at this point than Roddy is, and that Gonzo is in for a big drop as well because we are looking to push the ball a bit more down field now, and because we will be looking to spread it out a bit..

I still think Roddy sees fewer catches this season - he even said it himself.

Edited by niels petersen

A quality teacher makes the complex simple while a poor teacher makes the complex complex.

You see, the problem is not that MM is dumb or doesn't know football. The guy knows his ****. At the same time, knowing your **** doesn't necessarily make you a gifted teacher or an innovator.

There is a difference.

Most of the bad teachers we have had in life is not usually on account of them not knowing their shlt with respect to biology, calculus, business, etc. The reason they are subpar or average is because they don't understand how to relay things to others in a clear and concise way.

Mularkey seems to be like that.

He also seems to be one of those people that is more "book smart" than anything else. Sure, he knows the X's and O's of football, but that doesn't mean he possesses the common sense or creativity of a Sean Payton or Mike McCarthy on the football field. Creativity and the ability to think on your feet is what separates "great" from "mediocrity". MM just doesn't have that - at least not consistently.

Edited by BlazerFalcon
Guest Gritz
A quality teacher makes the complex simple while a poor teacher makes the complex complex.

You see, the problem is not that MM is dumb or doesn't know football. The guy knows his ****. At the same time, knowing your **** doesn't necessarily make you a gifted teacher or an innovator.

There is a difference.

Most of the bad teachers we have had in life is not usually on account of them not knowing their shlt with respect to biology, calculus, business, etc. The reason they are subpar or average is because they don't understand how to relay things to others in a clear and concise way.

He also seems to be one of those people that are more "book smart" than anything else. Sure, he knows the X's and O's of football, but that doesn't mean he possesses the common sense or creativity of a Sean Payton or Mike McCarthy on the football field. Creativity and the ability to think on your feet is what separates "great" from "mediocrity". MM just doesn't have that.

Best post I've read on here for months.

I taught for 5 years before I became a freelancer so I really understood and agreed with your thoughts here.

My bad. But still, that's not many wideouts with significantly more catches above the 80 mark. With around 80 Roddy will have right about the amount of catches as the best WRs in the league, and will still be one of the most used WRs.

I think Gonzo is more of a security blanket for Ryan at this point than Roddy is, and that Gonzo is in for a big drop as well because we are looking to push the ball a bit more down field now, and because we will be looking to spread it out a bit..

I still think Roddy sees fewer catches this season - he even said it himself.

115 in 2010. I think the team will really lean on Roddy, yet again.

There is a difference.

He also seems to be one of those people that is more "book smart" than anything else. Sure, he knows the X's and O's of football, but that doesn't mean he possesses the common sense or creativity of a Sean Payton or Mike McCarthy on the football field. Creativity and the ability to think on your feet is what separates "great" from "mediocrity". MM just doesn't have that - at least not consistently.

Great point, and I agree with you 100 percent.

115 in 2010. I think the team will really lean on Roddy, yet again.

Thats basically a 10 catch dropoff from '10 to last season.. I see no reason Roddy won't get his catches reduced again this year with more WRs on the field, more of a spread-it-around mentality, Julio making a case for more catches plus more passes to the RBs. No reason he shouldn't be more effective with those fewer catches either.

80 receptions, 90 tops, and around 1100-1200 yards..

Best post I've read on here for months.

I taught for 5 years before I became a freelancer so I really understood and agreed with your thoughts here.

Thanks.

I'm actually an aspiring teacher with some teaching experience (albeit minor) already. I take the GRE this coming Monday, then I can go ahead and submit my applications for grad school. After that, I just get to wait on getting accepted/rejected from the schools I'm applying to and then take my time in evaluating what school makes the most sense for me and my soon-to-be fiance going forward.

w00t

This GRE shlt is stressing me out, though. Cannot wait to *hopefully* rape this thing and be done with it, once and for all.

Guest Gritz

Thanks.

I'm actually an aspiring teacher with some teaching experience (albeit minor) already. I take the GRE this coming Monday, then I can go ahead and submit my applications for grad school. After that, I just get to wait on getting accepted/rejected from the schools I'm applying to and then take my time in evaluating what school makes the most sense for me and my soon-to-be fiance going forward.

w00t

This GRE shlt is stressing me out, though. Cannot wait to *hopefully* rape this thing and be done with it, once and for all.

I hope that everything you're striving for happens. Good luck.

There is a difference.

I think your sentiments are profound, but I don't think they apply well to Mike Mularkey. This is a guy that made a winner out of Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox before he coached Matt Ryan to one of the two or three best rookie seasons ever.

No coach is going to succeed with every single player, but there is a reason that Mike Mularkey keeps getting jobs in this league.

I think your sentiments are profound, but I don't think they apply well to Mike Mularkey. This is a guy that made a winner out of Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox before he coached Matt Ryan to one of the two or three best rookie seasons ever.

No coach is going to succeed with every single player, but there is a reason that Mike Mularkey keeps getting jobs in this league.

Good post. People seem to think that the only reason we had 4 B2B2B2B seasons was because of Matt Ryan and that if Mularkery weren't here, we would have been would be 76-0 right now over the past 4 years. Keep in mind the Falcons had one of the better offenses over the past 4 seasons. Mularkey was able to orchestrate a 13-3 season with Jenkins as the #2.

Guest Gritz

I strongly believe that it's what I posted earlier. Mularkey is proficient at introducing young and/or faltering quarterbacks to an offensive system that is steady and relatively safe: Low risk underneath and short seam throws combined with a fairly standard, between the tackles running game.

I strongly believe that it's what I posted earlier. Mularkey is proficient at introducing young and/or faltering quarterbacks to an offensive system that is steady and relatively safe: Low risk underneath and short seam throws combined with a fairly standard, between the tackles running game.

And there will always be teams struggling and young QBs. There is a reason MM has no Playoff wins under his belt as well.