Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

paul n coke

Interesting Quote From Mercedes Lewis

282 posts in this topic

This pretty much correlates exactly with what Peter King and others were saying. I never knew how unnecessarily complicated Mularky's system was until this season.

That being said I really think our offense is going to grasp this and play much more of a full speed attack; defense included. Man I've got goosebumps.

All offseason it seems like our coaches and players have been taking subtle shots at the former coordinators. I dont think it has anything to do with them "not liking the coordinators". But i do feel its about them knowing the limitations of the previous scheme and their failing to adjust when some of our weaknesses in 08 were strengths in '11. We have talent on this team, i just want to see it used properly

It's not about having great players, it's about maximizing the talent of the players you have. J.P. Losman is a perfect example. Did nothing under Mularkey but had a career year after Mularkey left for Miami. He actually played pretty well that year.Threw for over 3000, pretty good qb rating, and his team won more games.

Losman was terrible. Some of this is due to a weaker schedule more than the player playing better in a different system.

Proof or it didn't happen.

vel, you know that was one of the standing points during the season with MM. Don't try to act like I forgot your font.

Lol I was the same way. I was a Roman Harper type safety. I loved being in the box and playing the short zones but my DC wanted to run Cover 2 like we were the Bears. When we got a new DC and he put me in the box, I was playing lights out. I loved to blitz and he sent me early and often. Same player, different results.

It's football it ain't rocket science lol. I think we left a lot of plays on the field because we didn't play to our players strengths like we should. Nolan will get the best out of his defensive playmakers that's a fact and I hope Koetter will do the same on offense.

Losman was terrible. Some of this is due to a weaker schedule more than the player playing better in a different system.

MM made the trade up to get Losman. He traded their 2nd rounder that year and their 1st the next year for a 1 year starter.

MM made the trade up to get Losman. He traded their 2nd rounder that year and their 1st the next year for a 1 year starter.

MM was the GM for the Bills?

It's not about having great players, it's about maximizing the talent of the players you have. J.P. Losman is a perfect example. Did nothing under Mularkey but had a career year after Mularkey left for Miami. He actually played pretty well that year.Threw for over 3000, pretty good qb rating, and his team won more games.

Losman's been out of the league for years, despite still wanting to play.

What makes you think MM hasn't maximized the talent around him? It's just too easy to hang the blame on the guy who's not here anymore (ask Obama)

Tom Donahoe was GM. We're not debating MM's player personnel skills.....if he even has any.

Let me get this correct. If you trade up to get a WR, that means confidence in the OC. But if a HC trades up to get a QB, he is absolved of any lack of development especially when he happens to be a OC by trade? We are debating MMs personnel skills because they are not revolved around maximizing the talent of personnel

vel, you know that was one of the standing points during the season with MM. Don't try to act like I forgot your font.

First off, I barely understand what you said in that post.

Second, disprove that this offense wasn't built on weak QB play and was developed like that. MM had Stewart, Losman, Harrington.

MM has never had a top 20 QB. His QBs have always been bottom 10 players. Why would you build an offense leaning on your QB? Doesn't make since. His first offense was built on Stewart, then Losman, then Harrington. So his offense in PIT fit in those other places because the QBs all sucked. Come to Atlanta and you finally get a good QB in Ryan and in his best year record wise, Ryan doesn't break 7 YPA. Explain that.

What makes you think MM hasn't maximized the talent around him?

When HD, Quizz, Meier, Snelling and even Cone contribute more to the offense, you'll have your answer.

HD was a 1000 yard WR at Louisville. Meier had 97 catches his last year at Kansas. Quizz was a playmaker at OSU. There was talent that was not used.

His QB has nothing to do with how he is looking in camp nor does his position on the depth chart.

I threw MM under the bus in 2010 when we were winning 13 games and it was a few of us that took heat because we knew he was wack. His scheme is archaic and will never win a SB. It's based purely on 100% perfect execution (Read: the players) and none on getting those players in position to win. You agree with his style of coaching. That's fine. But it isn't going to win championships in the NFL.

Obviously he didn't play, but he was the master of the puppets (players). They did what he told them to. You will see just how bad MM was when this season is over.

I can vouch for this; I think it was after the second Saints* (or maybe even after the Baltimore game, which would have been even more prophetic) game when you called the early playoff exit.

vel likes this

Welker lead the Dolphins in receptions that year with MM and they were a balanced offense that season.

This is hilarious. Don't pretend you know about the Dolphins. I used to live down there and watched every game. That offense was a disaster. Had a great D but the O held them back. 29th in scoring.

No NFL starter is terrible. They all have a skill set that allowed them to make it to where they are. Everyone's good at something and it's the OCs job to find out what it is and use it to his advantage. Weaker schedule? That's nothing more than a weak excuse. That team had the weakest schedule I've ever seen.

First off, I barely understand what you said in that post.

Second, disprove that this offense wasn't built on weak QB play and was developed like that. MM had Stewart, Losman, Harrington.

MM has never had a top 20 QB. His QBs have always been bottom 10 players. Why would you build an offense leaning on your QB? Doesn't make since. His first offense was built on Stewart, then Losman, then Harrington. So his offense in PIT fit in those other places because the QBs all sucked. Come to Atlanta and you finally get a good QB in Ryan and in his best year record wise, Ryan doesn't break 7 YPA. Explain that.

You have never been known to be above insults so no hard feelings since this is your form of communication.

Please further explain because you first said his offense was built for Kordell Stewart.

Ryan has a weak arm. The plays were called, the WR's were open, the ball wasn't delivered in a timely sequence. Which is the reason why posters harp over Matt Ryan's arm. Look at the deep ball numbers over the last 4 years. The numbers do not lie.

Lol @ thinking the coach doesn't have to sign off on a move like that. I mean it's only his job on the line.

Was he the GM was my question, yes or no?

Nothing like good healthy football debate to get the blood going. The season can't get here fast enough. I think we're all anxious to see what the new team will look like.

This is hilarious. Don't pretend you know about the Dolphins. I used to live down there and watched every game. That offense was a disaster. Had a great D but the O held them back. 29th in scoring.

No NFL starter is terrible. They all have a skill set that allowed them to make it to where they are. Everyone's good at something and it's the OCs job to find out what it is and use it to his advantage. Weaker schedule? That's nothing more than a weak excuse. That team had the weakest schedule I've ever seen.

Numbers say the offense was balanced, I didn't say they had a great offense, just balanced. RIF.

Pointless claim, no offensive linemen is terrible either. Sam Baker isn't terrible. Don't be a jackass, we are talking in perspectives not scouting language.

You have never been known to be above insults so no hard feelings since this is your form of communication.

Please further explain because you first said his offense was built for Kordell Stewart.

Ryan has a weak arm. The plays were called, the WR's were open, the ball wasn't delivered in a timely sequence. Which is the reason why posters harp over Matt Ryan's arm. Look at the deep ball numbers over the last 4 years. The numbers do not lie.

Numbers say what you want them to say, plain and simple

Player A: Over the past two years, of running backs with at least 300 carries, no one in the NFL has a higher yards-per-carry average than this player. He's explosive; over that same time frame, only three qualified players have a better big-play percentage than this guy. In a league with so many running backs by committee, he is the unquestioned lead back, averaging 19 touches a game last season. He's a touchdown machine, scoring in over half his games, and his 5.4 yards-per-carry last season was better than the averages of Maurice Jones-Drew, Adrian Peterson and Arian Foster, among many others. Since he came into the league, no running back has a better yards-per-catch average (10.3) and in that time frame. He is a top-10 back in terms of both receptions of more than 25 yards and receiving yards per game. Plus, he lost only one fumble all of last season. Adrian Peterson averaged 16.4 fantasy points per game in the games that he finished last season. Our guy: 16.6.

Player B: He entered the league with a lot of hype, but is it justified? Last year, he didn't get the ball much at the goal line (eight carries inside an opponent's 10-yard line) or anywhere else on the field (24 percent of his team's rushing attempts). Even one of his big calling cards, his pass-catching ability, took a hit, as his receptions and yards per reception (19 catches for 154 yards, 8.1 average) hit career lows in 2011. He seems to have an aversion to the end zone, scoring just five touchdowns last season, and wasn't even a top-30 fantasy running back. After his team hired a new coach, the front office went out and traded for another rusher. Not exactly a vote of confidence.

Both players are Darren Mcfadden

Perfect example. Thank you Matthew Berry

vel and Francis York Morgan like this

Nothing like good healthy football debate to get the blood going. The season can't get here fast enough. I think we're all anxious to see what the new team will look like.

Right. Started this thread a few hours ago and getting a good kick out of it just being a good football debate. I know most on this board want nothing but to see our team do go things on the football field

But u just said the key word. Timely. Ryan is a timing and rhythm qb like Peyton Manning. The lockout caused him to not get in sequence with JJ's speed. He hit Roddy deep last year. He missed Julio because he was faster than Matt thought. Hence the under throws. But as the year went on he started connecting with Julio as he started getting more timing. Had nothing to do with arm strength per se

Losman's been out of the league for years, despite still wanting to play.

What makes you think MM hasn't maximized the talent around him? It's just too easy to hang the blame on the guy who's not here anymore (ask Obama)

It's not how good or bad the player is. Can you say he played his best under Mularkey? You say he's terrible and badmouth his skills, yet someone was able to get a 3000 yd season out of him. That someone wasn't Mularkey.

Numbers say what you want them to say, plain and simple

Player A: Over the past two years, of running backs with at least 300 carries, no one in the NFL has a higher yards-per-carry average than this player. He's explosive; over that same time frame, only three qualified players have a better big-play percentage than this guy. In a league with so many running backs by committee, he is the unquestioned lead back, averaging 19 touches a game last season. He's a touchdown machine, scoring in over half his games, and his 5.4 yards-per-carry last season was better than the averages of Adrian Peterson and Darren McFadden.

Player B: He entered the league with a lot of hype, but is it justified? Last year, he didn't get the ball much at the goal line (eight carries inside an opponent's 10-yard line) or anywhere else on the field (24 percent of his team's rushing attempts). Even one of his big calling cards, his pass-catching ability, took a hit, as his receptions and yards per reception (19 catches for 154 yards, 8.1 average) hit career lows in 2011. He seems to have an aversion to the end zone, scoring just five touchdowns last season, and wasn't even a top-30 fantasy running back. After his team hired a new coach, the front office went out and traded for another rusher. Not exactly a vote of confidence.

Both players are Darren Mcfadden

Perfect example. Thank you Matthew Berry

Yep I agree but numbers say Ryan can't throw the deep ball but tape says Ryan has no velocity on his throws. The difference is my reference to the numbers are directly talking about one skill, you are talking about an overall canvas of work with DMC in terms of the sited article by Matt Berry.