Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

paul n coke

Interesting Quote From Mercedes Lewis

282 posts in this topic

Ask steelers fans how they feel about him. I know plenty and none of them had anything positive to say after we got him. His offenses always underachieve and the only production his players ever get is out of sheer volume. Don't believe me, then look up the numbers.

Believe me I'm a football fan first and then a Falcon fan. I've watched AND played a lot of football. I know how a certain scheme can make u play faster and not run in mud.

I am willing to guarantee MM never wins a playoff if he doesn't change his scheme. It's not built to win in today's NFL. He relies on sets that won in the 90s NFL. He doesn't lean on his QB because when he built his scheme, he couldn't. His scheme was built with Kordell Stewart and Jerome Bettis, a journeyman QB and HOF RB. Who are you going to scheme around?

I am willing to guarantee MM never wins a playoff if he doesn't change his scheme. It's not built to win in today's NFL. He relies on sets that won in the 90s NFL. He doesn't lean on his QB because when he built his scheme, he couldn't. His scheme was built with Kordell Stewart and Jerome Bettis, a journeyman QB and HOF RB. Who are you going to scheme around?

This is the most ridiculous comment I heard yet. Really? Kordell Stewart? I will truly say his system is based around his personnel like 90% of the good to great NFL OC's in the business.

The scheme was based around our strengths, how is that outdated.

Power running game -Check

Possession based WR's- Check

Smart reliable TE- Check

Weak Arm accuracy QB- Check

The offensive line was hidden when they became an issue at times as well. I am not understanding what you mean when you say it's outdated?

Hence what i said. That was 2008. We OUTGREW what we started with since then. You can't beat me on this homie. At all. 2008 and 2012 is different teams. We have way more speed and is looking to get on page with the new NFL. I don't wanna hear about a personal feeling about Ryan cause any football fan knows the right scheme and systems players thrive or fail. We no longer have possession receivers. Roddy can still get behind a defense. THIS team outgrew that system.

Believe me I'm a football fan first and then a Falcon fan. I've watched AND played a lot of football. I know how a certain scheme can make u play faster and not run in mud.

That's why I don't entertain those who haven't played. They'd understand how a scheme can really impact the game. It's not all about execution. Asking HD to block a DE just because you wanted to put a 3 WR set on the field is stupid. But these guys that point solely to execution blame that on HD not doing his job on the play.

MM was here after the GB disaster because there was a lockout and there wasn't time to hire a new OC and have him implement his system.

The Jones trade was made because they had a chance to get an amazing player that could play with Ryan for the next decade. No one from the Falcons ever claimed he was the final piece.

On the first statement, MM was here because they wanted him here, not because of the lockout.

You don't trade 5 -1 for a WR, no matter how good they are and especially when you already have a top WR. It was a trade of desperation. Everyone knows it, regardless of the later rose-colored rationalization by TD. You especially don't make a deal like that if you think the OC is not a good fit with the player you've acquired and the reason you acquired him.

There-in lies the source of our debate. You say he saddles the horse improperly and I say he doesn't have the right horse to run this type of race.

That's why I don't entertain those who haven't played. They'd understand how a scheme can really impact the game. It's not all about execution. Asking HD to block a DE just because you wanted to put a 3 WR set on the field is stupid. But these guys that point solely to execution blame that on HD not doing his job on the play.

Believe me I'm with you. I had a coordinator change and I loved the new system. I was a smaller back and the new system got me in space more to let me do what I did best. Run away from ppl. And I could still run off tackle so my abilities increased. The press made it seem like I really had a great offseason workout but I didn't change my regimin just loved the new system. Made me look like Barry Sanders. lol

vel likes this

Ask steelers fans how they feel about him. I know plenty and none of them had anything positive to say after we got him. His offenses always underachieve and the only production his players ever get is out of sheer volume. Don't believe me, then look up the numbers.

When did MM have a decent QB. Kordell Stewart? J.P. Losman? Kelly Holcomb? Joey Harrington?

He probably was the wrong guy and ended up being the convenient fall guy as well. Anyone who watched our games knew the problems ran a lot deeper than Mike Mularkey

I agree 100%. However, this is a players game. When you have the talent we have at the skill positions, they are only going to get so much blame. We did have a lot of problems, but i think the first step in rectifying them was to get new faces with new perspectives

TheFatboi likes this

When did MM have a decent QB. Kordell Stewart? J.P. Losman? Kelly Holcomb? Joey Harrington?

He traded up to draft JP Losman. Whose fault is that?

Hence what i said. That was 2008. We OUTGREW what we started with since then. You can't beat me on this homie. At all. 2008 and 2012 is different teams. We have way more speed and is looking to get on page with the new NFL. I don't wanna hear about a personal feeling about Ryan cause any football fan knows the right scheme and systems players thrive or fail. We no longer have possession receivers. Roddy can still get behind a defense. THIS team outgrew that system.

I personally believe the offense will greatly improve if Ryan can improve on his mobility, throwing on run, and if he greatly improves his velocity. He does that, you are talking about a potential SB run.

I don't know if you should guarantee that. While his scheme is outdated, it does have its positives. It's probably the perfect scheme for teams like the 08 Falcons and this year's Jags who are just looking for stability and any win they can get. It limits mistakes while sacrificing explosiveness and unpredictability. Teams full of young players and teams that are perennial losers can benefit greatly from this type of scheme because winning the turnover battle is usually a safe way to win games. Plus, the conservative play limits the desperation that becomes inherent when a team starts losing.

This is the most ridiculous comment I heard yet. Really? Kordell Stewart? I will truly say his system is based around his personnel like 90% of the good to great NFL OC's in the business.

MM became an OC in 2000. His QB was Kordell Stewart and his RB was Jerome Bettis. He built his offense off of them. If his offense was built around his personnel, Quizz, Meier, Weems and HD would have been more involved. Players like Wes Welker when he was in Miami would have been a lot better. Welker was ok in Miami. He is elite in New England. What changed? The way he was used. You can try and point to QB but he still had 100 catches in 2008 with Matt Cassel as his QB.

MM has had the same scheme his entire career. That's a fact. He built his offense in 2000, his first year in PIT. It has not changed. Our offense has been the same since 2008. The only thing different this year was the first few weeks when we tried to "open things up" and all he did was call more deep passes.

MM became an OC in 2000. His QB was Kordell Stewart and his RB was Jerome Bettis. He built his offense off of them. If his offense was built around his personnel, Quizz, Meier, Weems and HD would have been more involved. Players like Wes Welker when he was in Miami would have been a lot better. Welker was ok in Miami. He is elite in New England. What changed? The way he was used. You can try and point to QB but he still had 100 catches in 2008 with Matt Cassel as his QB.

MM has had the same scheme his entire career. That's a fact. He built his offense in 2000, his first year in PIT. It has not changed. Our offense has been the same since 2008. The only thing different this year was the first few weeks when we tried to "open things up" and all he did was call more deep passes.

Great example.

TheFatboi likes this

10.5 YPC and 3 TD's. He seem to be a replacement for their lack of running game. In Miami had he Ricky Williams. He didn't need to use Welker that way like we don't use HD that way. Systems help RB's and WR's more than QB's. You usually create the system around the QB.

I personally believe the offense will greatly improve if Ryan can improve on his mobility, throwing on run, and if he greatly improves his velocity. He does that, you are talking about a potential SB run.

I agree with that. He doesn't have to be super mobile just move better and that depends on McClure holding the point. He can throw on the run but he chooses to play it safe too much. I just want him to let his nuts hang. Feel the game and play to win.

There-in lies the source of our debate. You say he saddles the horse improperly and I say he doesn't have the right horse to run this type of race.

And we will definitely be finding out who's right this coming year.

This pretty much correlates exactly with what Peter King and others were saying. I never knew how unnecessarily complicated Mularky's system was until this season.

That being said I really think our offense is going to grasp this and play much more of a full speed attack; defense included. Man I've got goosebumps.

10.5 YPC and 3 TD's. He seem to be a replacement for their lack of running game. In Miami had he Ricky Williams. He didn't need to use Welker that way like we don't use HD that way. Systems help RB's and WR's more than QB's. You usually create the system around the QB.

He didn't use welker in ANY way. You wanna know why? Welker is a slot receiver. That requires 3 WRs being on the field. MM doesn't believe in that.

vel likes this

This pretty much correlates exactly with what Peter King and others were saying. I never knew how unnecessarily complicated Mularky's system was until this season.

That being said I really think our offense is going to grasp this and play much more of a full speed attack; defense included. Man I've got goosebumps.

Remember, vel said during the season the playbook isn't open for Ryan but when the WR was open deep, he settle short. Most starting QB's would put up 6 right there. I don't think it's system as much as it's limitations.

Believe me I'm with you. I had a coordinator change and I loved the new system. I was a smaller back and the new system got me in space more to let me do what I did best. Run away from ppl. And I could still run off tackle so my abilities increased. The press made it seem like I really had a great offseason workout but I didn't change my regimin just loved the new system. Made me look like Barry Sanders. lol

Lol I was the same way. I was a Roman Harper type safety. I loved being in the box and playing the short zones but my DC wanted to run Cover 2 like we were the Bears. When we got a new DC and he put me in the box, I was playing lights out. I loved to blitz and he sent me early and often. Same player, different results.

It's not about having great players, it's about maximizing the talent of the players you have. J.P. Losman is a perfect example. Did nothing under Mularkey but had a career year after Mularkey left for Miami. He actually played pretty well that year.Threw for over 3000, pretty good qb rating, and his team won more games.

He didn't use welker in ANY way. You wanna know why? Welker is a slot receiver. That requires 3 WRs being on the field. MM doesn't believe in that.

Welker lead the Dolphins in receptions that year with MM and they were a balanced offense that season.

Remember, vel said during the season the playbook isn't open for Ryan but when the WR was open deep, he settle short. Most starting QB's would put up 6 right there. I don't think it's system as much as it's limitations.

Proof or it didn't happen.