Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

paul n coke

Interesting Quote From Mercedes Lewis

282 posts in this topic

Not disagreeing but my point is it's a new NFL and MM's scheme was 80's and 90's Steelers. I think we needed to make that Julio play and get on page with the new NFL. I just hope we didn't wait a year too long to do it.

MM system worked for our personnel, what else could he do?

Not disagreeing but my point is it's a new NFL and MM's scheme was 80's and 90's Steelers. I think we needed to make that Julio play and get on page with the new NFL. I just hope we didn't wait a year too long to do it.

Agreed, but let's not claim this was some great snarling dog offense that was held back by Mike Mularkey's scheme leash.

MM has ran the EXACT same system at every stop he's ever made coaching in the NFL. I guess every team has had the exact same personnel?

SpoonSmacked and vel like this

And the talent outgrew his system. We need a scheme the players can play faster and that wasn't his system. Never has been. He's an old school steeler

Lol. Now u know that's false.

You know Ryan can throw those 45 yard punts that have a lot of hangtime on them. Takes forever to come down and Julio has to wait for the ball to come and he is tackled shortly after.

You should talk about playing games.

You obviously didn't read what I wrote or you wouldn't have responded the way you did.

That might be plausible if it wasn't the first time you've played this game with me. Stop being conveniently opaque.

And the talent outgrew his system. We need a scheme the players can play faster and that wasn't his system. Never has been. He's an old school steeler

Fatboi dropping a 10 megaton Truth Bomb there.

jdawg4876 likes this

MM has ran the EXACT same system at every stop he's ever made coaching in the NFL. I guess every team has had the exact same personnel?

His offense was different in Pitt and Miami. He had a lot of gadgets and it was run heavy. In Atlanta, we were more pass heavy. You play with the personnel you have. Turner is a workhorse, so was Ricky Williams and Bettis.

How so? We passed the ball a lot last year.

Agreed, but let's not claim this was some great snarling dog offense that was held back by Mike Mularkey's scheme leash.

Never said that. But that's what we hired to get the ball rolling. Now it's time to expand and get up to par with the weapons we have in a faster less thinking more feeling the game scheme. That's all.

Vel you always let a coordinator interview for a promotion. Always. The MM decision process was made months before the Jones trade.

The Julio trade was being considered just as long.

So either they were all in with MM and the Julio trade was going to cement it or not. They knew they were going to make a move for Julio or AJ when MM was interviewing. So clearly they didn't make the trade with MM as the OC for the long haul or they wouldn't have been letting him interview for every opportunity.

Still waiting on that explanation.

That might be plausible if it wasn't the first time you've played this game with me. Stop being conveniently opaque.

That's because it's not the first time you've responded to a post I didn't actually write-you skim something, miss the gist of it and get upset when I point out what happened.

MM was here after the GB disaster because there was a lockout and there wasn't time to hire a new OC and have him implement his system.

The Jones trade was made because they had a chance to get an amazing player that could play with Ryan for the next decade. No one from the Falcons ever claimed he was the final piece.

Those two facts are not related.

Fatboi dropping a 10 megaton Truth Bomb there.

It happens Gritzy. There was a slight down period when Holmgren left GB but McCarthy and his guys resurged the system and the talent.

How so? We passed the ball a lot last year.

And this is where people lose credibility in their argument. The Cleveland Browns passed the ball more times than the Green Bay Packers. Who scheme was more pass oriented? I'll wait because it may be a tough answer.

Never said that. But that's what we hired to get the ball rolling. Now it's time to expand and get up to par with the weapons we have in a faster less thinking more feeling the game scheme. That's all.

Maybe not in so many words, but the general feeling here is that MM held this group back. In some ways he did and in others he protected their weaknesses and those of the defense. JUST LIKE MIKE SMITH ASKED HIM TO DO.

Mid-Nite-Toker likes this

So either they were all in with MM and the Julio trade was going to cement it or not. They knew they were going to make a move for Julio or AJ when MM was interviewing. So clearly they didn't make the trade with MM as the OC for the long haul or they wouldn't have been letting him interview for every opportunity.

I don't like when posters do what you just did. Make a true claim and then make a false claim to validate your true claim. I will underline what is true and bold what is false. Your employees are generally always interviewing especially for increased pay from their own team. It's not a sign that he won't be there for the long haul or not.

Maybe not in so many words, but the general feeling here is that MM held this group back. In some ways he did and in others he protected their weaknesses and those of the defense. JUST LIKE MIKE SMITH ASKED HIM TO DO.

I can only speak for me and what I see. I don't think MM single handedly held us back but I do think the league caught up with what we like to do

Even Smitty had to reevaluate what is going on in the NFL

And this is where people lose credibility in their argument. The Cleveland Browns passed the ball more times than the Green Bay Packers. Who scheme was more pass oriented? I'll wait because it may be a tough answer.

Both were pass oriented. One just happen to be extremely effective and the other one didn't because of execution and talent. Mainly from the QB position and the Browns didn't have good weapons either. It wasn't a tough answer at all watching the games last year.

Ask steelers fans how they feel about him. I know plenty and none of them had anything positive to say after we got him. His offenses always underachieve and the only production his players ever get is out of sheer volume. Don't believe me, then look up the numbers.

TheFatboi likes this

I thought Mularkey's offense was to vanilla.

Laurent Robinson is good and we should have kept him. Anyone could have seen that.

Right.....you base that off one good year! We are not the only ones to let him go. Lets see how he does in Jax.

Vel, Julio had a bad foot and the team was considering AJ Green too. It was not JJ or bust.

On the MM interviewing, unless your team is still active in the playoffs it is standard operating procedure to let your coordinators interview for HC slots and not an indictment of his future. Why keep him if they were so willing to let him go, as you say? That would be stupid to keep a guy you don't want, wouldn't it?

Passing the ball alot didn't mean the scheme was outdated for what we're trying to do.

The scheme was based around our strengths, how is that outdated.

Power running game -Check

Possession based WR's- Check

Smart reliable TE- Check

Weak Armed accurate QB- Check

The offensive line was hidden when they became an issue at times as well. I am not understanding what you mean when you say it's outdated?