Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

paul n coke

Interesting Quote From Mercedes Lewis

282 posts in this topic

I knew he had to go when, after we drafted Julio all he was quoted as saying was how excited he was about his blocking ability.....

WTH?

That's like getting married to Scarlett Johansson and bragging to your pals that she sews one helluva sock.

QFT

how in the world anyone could say this "MM's scheme/coaching style is to introduce a football scheme and then run that scheme. It is based upon reacting to whatever the defense lines up in" after watching defences stack 8 in the box down after down after down and we still tried to run MT off tackle against it over and over and over and over ....... is beyond me.

I crack up that people think a guy that is completely clueless has managed to keep jobs as an offensive coordinator in this league for over a decade and get promoted to head coach twice.

And the guy was never fired from any job except for when the entire staff was fired in Miami.

How has Mike Mularkey fooled so many smart people for soooo long?

Well sir,

We will find out in 6 months if Mike Mularkey is fact or fraud since his first year is when his teams make the big jump.

Having a dominant player makes it more predictable, the very thing people will claim, held us back.

Dominant players are dominant because you can't stop them no matter how predictable they may be. The point is moot.

Well sir,

We will find out in 6 months if Mike Mularkey is fact or fraud since his first year is when his teams make the big jump.

IF MM wins 6 games with Blaine Gabbert at QB, he should win Coach of the Year.

1. As our O-line and pass rush illustrated, we were not in a position to chase premium talent. TD said the move was to get more explosive. Only later did he change his tune to the story about once in a decade WR talent.

2. You don't go all-in on a WR, unless you are all in on the OC. Plain and simple.

I watched the Saints give up all they had (the whole draft) for a RB and the HC was fired the next year. This is more of a year to year league than people think. Do i think they had confidence in MM? Sure. Do i think our FO lost confidence in MM? Absolutely. I think TD and the FO wanted to get explosive, but if that explosive element happens to be a once every five year receiver, then so be it. Just dont make it seem as if we are "stuck" with Julio because we fired the OC. So what, its a new year with fresh new faces overseeing things on both sides of the ball

Dominant players are dominant because you can't stop them no matter how predictable they may be. The point is moot.

Similar to 96 rec for 1681 yds and 16 tds. If this is what they had in mind for Julio, who cares about the 4 picks because only a few WRs are capable of that type of production

You limit the damage. Take away Johnson's 1681 total and Stafford still had more passing yards than Alex Smith.

Do you fight this fight of trumpeting Megatron and devaluing Stafford as a way of validating the Julio Jones trade?

#1 pick™ likes this

I watched the Saints give up all they had (the whole draft) for a RB and the HC was fired the next year. This is more of a year to year league than people think. Do i think they had confidence in MM? Sure. Do i think our FO lost confidence in MM? Absolutely. I think TD and the FO wanted to get explosive, but if that explosive element happens to be a once every five year receiver, then so be it. Just dont make it seem as if we are "stuck" with Julio because we fired the OC. So what, its a new year with fresh new faces overseeing things on both sides of the ball

The OC was not fired. You don't trade for Julio Jones if you are employing an OC you're not happy with. Plain and simple.

Similar to 96 rec for 1681 yds and 16 tds. If this is what they had in mind for Julio, who cares about the 4 picks because only a few WRs are capable of that type of production

You don't make that kind of deal for anything but a QB. The 25% jump in Johnson's numbers with a full year of Stafford shows where the value lies.

You limit the damage. Take away Johnson's 1681 total and Stafford still had more passing yards than Alex Smith.

Do you fight this fight of trumpeting Megatron and devaluing Stafford as a way of validating the Julio Jones trade?

Every offensive player for the Lions is better because of the impact of Megatron, Stafford included. That is a fact, not to mention undebatable. Having a player with that type of production mixed with the impact he makes on the game when he doesnt get the ball is something i would rather have oppose to not having. I think given the opportunities, Julio can evolve into this type of threat given his combination of size, strength, and 4.3 speed

You don't make that kind of deal for anything but a QB. The 25% jump in Johnson's numbers with a full year of Stafford shows where the value lies.

Stafford realizing he can put it anywhere and Johnson will go get it?

The OC was not fired. You don't trade for Julio Jones if you are employing an OC you're not happy with. Plain and simple.

Plain and simple, you're wrong. TD has been building this team for the current coordinators, not the previous ones.

MM was retained after the GB loss because of the lockout, not because they were really happy with the playoff disaster.

You're confusing coincidence -it happened in the same off season- with causation- they traded for Jones because they liked MM.

vel likes this

Stafford realizing he can put it anywhere and Johnson will go get it?

The team only made the playoffs after Stafford stayed healthy. A WR can only have so much impact.....no where near what a QB can have.

The same can be said for a HC. Mike Ditka was the HC when the saints made the trade for Ricky Williams, they went 3-13 and they fired the whole staff and brought in Jim Haslett. The point being, some organizations get so enamored with a players talent that they just want them on their team no matter who is coaching. If the coach is not the one for the job, so be it but the player will ALWAYS stay. Coaching matters, but people dont go to games to see the coaches. Their are some players that a FO just wants on their team and last year AJ and Julio fit the bill for our FO

Every offensive player for the Lions is better because of the impact of Megatron, Stafford included. That is a fact, not to mention undebatable. Having a player with that type of production mixed with the impact he makes on the game when he doesnt get the ball is something i would rather have oppose to not having. I think given the opportunities, Julio can evolve into this type of threat given his combination of size, strength, and 4.3 speed

I'm not debating how good Julio can be, cause he'll be great. A WR can only have so much impact, no matter how good they are.

I'm not debating how good Julio can be, cause he'll be great. A WR can only have so much impact, no matter how good they are.

Fingers crossed, we are about to see how much impact that can be.

Understood. But it is not to assume all offensive personnel is brought in due to confidence in the coordination. There are some players drafted high this year that will have different coordinators next year. Its the way of the business. The confidence is bestowed upon what an organization sees on the field. The last two times we have taken the field after the 1st week in January, we havent had the results that instill confidence

Plain and simple, you're wrong. TD has been building this team for the current coordinators, not the previous ones.

MM was retained after the GB loss because of the lockout, not because they were really happy with the playoff disaster.

You're confusing coincidence -it happened in the same off season- with causation- they traded for Jones because they liked MM.

Oh Bullsh1t. The window for contention is so small in the NFL that you do not keep the wrong guy. If MM was the wrong guy, why go out to get Julio Jones to be more explosive? If you're going all in, you don't do it at WR and nowhere else, unless you totally believe in what you've built. This idea of a grace year for MM is just something you guys spin out to rationalize bad decisions.

Mid-Nite-Toker likes this

The same can be said for a HC. Mike Ditka was the HC when the saints made the trade for Ricky Williams, they went 3-13 and they fired the whole staff and brought in Jim Haslett. The point being, some organizations get so enamored with a players talent that they just want them on their team no matter who is coaching. If the coach is not the one for the job, so be it but the player will ALWAYS stay. Coaching matters, but people dont go to games to see the coaches. Their are some players that a FO just wants on their team and last year AJ and Julio fit the bill for our FO

You don't make a move like 5 picks for 1 and that one being a WR, unless you think you're close.

Fingers crossed, we are about to see how much impact that can be.

I pray good health is bestowed upon him because i think we will. In a passing league, i dont see how the impact of a dominant WR can be understated. It just opens up a whole dynamic to an offense that has talent across the board

Understood. But it is not to assume all offensive personnel is brought in due to confidence in the coordination. There are some players drafted high this year that will have different coordinators next year. Its the way of the business. The confidence is bestowed upon what an organization sees on the field. The last two times we have taken the field after the 1st week in January, we havent had the results that instill confidence

You're not seeing the correlation. Julio Jones was a desperate move by a GM who thought he was close. He'd had 3 good years from his O-line and thought they were good for a fourth. He also thought his OC would fit well with his personnel and the desire of the HC to play ball control, while acquiring a deep threat they believed was the final piece.

Mid-Nite-Toker likes this

I dont blame Mularkey for execution because that is on the players. I blame Mularkey for not realizing the level of talent he had to make his scheme fit them because of stubborness. He really showed his colors when he heard about the criticism from the fans and he said how we dont know the gameplan and what we are doing etc. What never occured to him was what we saw as diehard fans every week, are the same games every team in the NFL saw on film. The best teams with as much talent (if not more) adjusted and we couldnt compete

Sometimes you can't get full execution when you can't fly around and play while thinking too much. MM's scheme didn't allow players to feel the game.