Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

paul n coke

Interesting Quote From Mercedes Lewis

282 posts in this topic

I crack up that people think a guy that is completely clueless has managed to keep jobs as an offensive coordinator in this league for over a decade and get promoted to head coach twice.

And the guy was never fired from any job except for when the entire staff was fired in Miami.

How has Mike Mularkey fooled so many smart people for soooo long?

His QB has nothing to do with how he is looking in camp nor does his position on the depth chart.

I threw MM under the bus in 2010 when we were winning 13 games and it was a few of us that took heat because we knew he was wack. His scheme is archaic and will never win a SB. It's based purely on 100% perfect execution (Read: the players) and none on getting those players in position to win. You agree with his style of coaching. That's fine. But it isn't going to win championships in the NFL.

Obviously he didn't play, but he was the master of the puppets (players). They did what he told them to. You will see just how bad MM was when this season is over.

As to Mularkey's style of coaching, I don't much care for it. He's simply not the epic fall guy you're looking for.

Vel, you've pointed out numerous times that Mularkey wears out his welcome after a few years, citing Pittsburgh and Miami among his 3 OC gigs. I notice you don't make the same distinction for Mike Nolan, who's in his 7th DC job.

#1 pick™ and Peyton like this

As to Mularkey's style of coaching, I don't much care for it. He's simply not the epic fall guy you're looking for.

Vel, you've pointed out numerous times that Mularkey wears out his welcome after a few years, citing Pittsburgh and Miami among his 3 OC gigs. I notice you don't make the same distinction for Mike Nolan, who's in his 7th DC job.

It happens to pretty much every coordinator not named Tom Moore.

I dont blame Mularkey for execution because that is on the players. I blame Mularkey for not realizing the level of talent he had to make his scheme fit them because of stubborness. He really showed his colors when he heard about the criticism from the fans and he said how we dont know the gameplan and what we are doing etc. What never occured to him was what we saw as diehard fans every week, are the same games every team in the NFL saw on film. The best teams with as much talent (if not more) adjusted and we couldnt compete

That's where the debate comes in. I believe Mularkey, with Smith and Dimitroff's full backing, was operating a scheme that best suited his team and not just the offense. We couldn't compete with top teams because we.....weren't......that........good.

Smith and Dimitroff built a model designed to minimize mistakes. Much like their draft philosophy it was high floor - low ceiling.

And how many times was there a head coaching change that proceeded Nolan's leaving? Everywhere but two stops, and those places (Washington and Denver) saw their head coaches fired/replaced the following season after Nolan's exit.

vel likes this

I've got one word for M&M.... KISS..... Keep It Simple Stupid. Have yall ever thought how well Ryan played his first game?? Now think of how they were keeping everything real simple for him, And the more they put on him the worse he seem to be. Don't get me wrong, I'm amazed at how well he has done for what he's been ask to do. But it's been crazy some of the plays that he had in his playbook , It's like MM wanted all the very lowest % pass plays he could find. I will never understand that kind of Coaching. Never.

That's where the debate comes in. I believe Mularkey, with Smith and Dimitroff's full backing, was operating a scheme that best suited his team and not just the offense. We couldn't compete with top teams because we.....weren't......that........good.

Smith and Dimitroff built a model designed to minimize mistakes. Much like their draft philosophy it was high floor - low ceiling.

I fully agree. However, our team has changed over the last few years. After our 13-3 year was when it all changed. We get destroyed against GB and we come back and get destroyed against the Giants with the same philosophy. I understand minimizing mistakes but our goal is to win. Our brand of football could not win Championships because our coaches didnt put our personnel in positions to succeed or at least maximize all of our players strengths

I fully agree. However, our team has changed over the last few years. After our 13-3 year was when it all changed. We get destroyed against GB and we come back and get destroyed against the Giants with the same philosophy. I understand minimizing mistakes but our goal is to win. Our brand of football could not win Championships because our coaches didnt put our personnel in positions to succeed or at least maximize all of our players strengths

Maybe. I happen to think the QB and receivers just didn't play very well in those playoff games.

I've got one word for M&M.... KISS..... Keep It Simple Stupid. Have yall ever thought how well Ryan played his first game?? Now think of how they were keeping everything real simple for him, And the more they put on him the worse he seem to be. Don't get me wrong, I'm amazed at how well he has done for what he's been ask to do. But it's been crazy some of the plays that he had in his playbook , It's like MM wanted all the very lowest % pass plays he could find. I will never understand that kind of Coaching. Never.

Turner out-gained Ryan by a wide margin. After the first play to Jenkins, Ryan passed for 99 yards vs arguably the worst defense in league history.

Maybe. I happen to think the QB and receivers just didn't play very well in those playoff games.

So do I. But I also think those 2 teams knew the falcons gameplan before they hit the field both times. It is the players jobs to play, but its the coaches jobs to get them ready. I think GB and NY were simply more prepared because of our predictable unchanging philosophy in coaching

Yet they still kept Mularkey after the Green Bay loss, choosing instead to go all in and spend 5 picks for a #2 WR. You don't make a deal like that trade without full confidence that you have the OC you want in place.

I crack up that people think a guy that is completely clueless has managed to keep jobs as an offensive coordinator in this league for over a decade and get promoted to head coach twice.

And the guy was never fired from any job except for when the entire staff was fired in Miami.

How has Mike Mularkey fooled so many smart people for soooo long?

For me, regarding Mularkey it's all about this:

He's a "fixer" more than anything else. His basic philosophies regarding how offensive football should be played are fine....fine for a young, inexperienced roster. Once that offense starts to mature Mularkey doesn't grow with them....and that's why he has about a 3 year shelf life as a coordinator.

So do I. But I also think those 2 teams knew the falcons gameplan before they hit the field both times. It is the players jobs to play, but its the coaches jobs to get them ready. I think GB and NY were simply more prepared because of our predictable unchanging philosophy in coaching

Was any offense more predictable than Detroit? They sure piled up the yards and points.

For me, regarding Mularkey it's all about this:

He's a "fixer" more than anything else. His basic philosophies regarding how offensive football should be played are fine....fine for a young, inexperienced roster. Once that offense starts to mature Mularkey doesn't grow with them....and that's why he has about a 3 year shelf life as a coordinator.

I do agree completely that there comes a time when players benefit from a coaching change and getting a fresh prospective.

I thought Ryan reached that point after the 2010 season, but there was no way the Falcons were going to change OCs after going 13-3 unless Mularkey got a HC job.

I do agree completely that there comes a time when players benefit from a coaching change and getting a fresh prospective.

I thought Ryan reached that point after the 2010 season, but there was no way the Falcons were going to change OCs after going 13-3 unless Mularkey got a HC job.

Totally agree with that Peyton......would have been similar lto the Chargers firing Schottenheimer after he went what, 14-2?

PR disaster.

Especially with the lockout looming. It could have been pretty ugly with implementing a new system with several rookies on offense and a subpar o line. Not to mention a quasi identity crisis at the beginning of '11

Yet they still kept Mularkey after the Green Bay loss, choosing instead to go all in and spend 5 picks for a #2 WR. You don't make a deal like that trade without full confidence that you have the OC you want in place.

I think going into last year we were not going make any changes for 2 reasons. 1) We were just the #1 seed in the NFC 2) The Lockout.... I think the trade for Julio was a team seeing how consitent they were becoming and realizing they were not going to get a lot of premium talent for a team that likes to build through the draft. Julio/AJ are the best receiver to come out since Calvin Johnson. You just dont get that kind of quality talent drafting where we have been drafting since 2009

Yes MM is a genius in his own mind and we as fans have no clue about anything and are little twits that just need to shut up and sit there and watch the game. I wouldn't be surprised if Gabbert struggled again due to the complicated playbook. But sidenote: where is FFS70 at, with his Laurent Robinson dribble? Struggling in his man MM's scheme, but it was obvious he was going to do what he did in Dallas in Atlanta. I told yall schemes make a lot of difference. The only difference between Dallas and JAX is the scheme for Laurent.

I thought Mularkey's offense was to vanilla.

Laurent Robinson is good and we should have kept him. Anyone could have seen that.

Was any offense more predictable than Detroit? They sure piled up the yards and points.

Calvin Johnson 2011 stats: 96 rec 1681 yds 16tds

Detroit is an exception to the rule because they have a dominant player who happens to be their best player that they drafted with the number 2 pick.

I knew he had to go when, after we drafted Julio all he was quoted as saying was how excited he was about his blocking ability.....

WTH?

That's like getting married to Scarlett Johansson and bragging to your pals that she sews one helluva sock.

I knew he had to go when, after we drafted Julio all he was quoted as saying was how excited he was about his blocking ability.....

WTH?

That's like getting married to Scarlett Johansson and bragging to your pals that she sews one helluva sock.

Lol

I think going into last year we were not going make any changes for 2 reasons. 1) We were just the #1 seed in the NFC 2) The Lockout.... I think the trade for Julio was a team seeing how consitent they were becoming and realizing they were not going to get a lot of premium talent for a team that likes to build through the draft. Julio/AJ are the best receiver to come out since Calvin Johnson. You just dont get that kind of quality talent drafting where we have been drafting since 2009

1. As our O-line and pass rush illustrated, we were not in a position to chase premium talent. TD said the move was to get more explosive. Only later did he change his tune to the story about once in a decade WR talent.

2. You don't go all-in on a WR, unless you are all in on the OC. Plain and simple.

Calvin Johnson 2011 stats: 96 rec 1681 yds 16tds

Detroit is an exception to the rule because they have a dominant player who happens to be their best player that they drafted with the number 2 pick.

Having a dominant player makes it more predictable, the very thing people will claim, held us back.

I thought Mularkey's offense was to vanilla.

Laurent Robinson is good and we should have kept him. Anyone could have seen that.

If we kept him and he didn't perform well you'd bash "Young" TD for keeping him. Your logic is flawed. Anyone can see that.

Magic Man likes this