Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

paul n coke

Interesting Quote From Mercedes Lewis

282 posts in this topic

Blackmon's arrival comes at the right time. Jaguars offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski admitted Monday that the team's passing game is "not very good." The team's No. 1 receiver Laurent Robinson has struggled in practice, and the team has very little depth at the position.

Jaguars tight end Marcedes Lewis told NFL.com that Blackmon will have a steep learning curve now that he will be in camp more than a week after everyone else.

"When I was a rookie, I wanted to get into camp," Lewis told NFL Network's Steve Wyche and Mark Kriegel on the "Double Coverage" podcast on Monday. "I couldn't imagine holding out as a rookie with this playbook. It's one of the most complicated playbooks that I've ever had. It's going to be tough. He's going to have to be on his horse when he gets to camp."

http://www.nfl.com/n...s-sign-contract

Throughout camp and the entire off season in general, all I have heard is how player friendly the new coordinators are trying to make the scheme so our guys can play faster. The quote above from Mercedes Lewis says a lot to me. This is a veteran Pro Bowl TE talking about how difficult the playbook is. I dont think any playbook in the NFL is "simple" per se, but I do believe that some can cause confusion (i.e Mike Nolan talking about not having different words meaning the same thing). MM is going to go to Jacksonville and do the same thing he has always done because of his stubborness to adjust to the game because maybe he makes it to difficult. Maybe not, we will see. I thought it was interesting to see this because i have always thought Mularkey felt he was a genius in his own mind and did very little to make the scheme player friendly. We have never heard about our coaches asking for player input in our schemes the last few years. Perhaps this was a classic example of addition by subtraction. Thanks for your time falcon faithful

Culain_04 and dmo_dlo like this

Yes MM is a genius in his own mind and we as fans have no clue about anything and are little twits that just need to shut up and sit there and watch the game.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gabbert struggled again due to the complicated playbook.

But sidenote: where is FFS70 at, with his Laurent Robinson dribble? Struggling in his man MM's scheme, but it was obvious he was going to do what he did in Dallas in Atlanta. I told yall schemes make a lot of difference. The only difference between Dallas and JAX is the scheme for Laurent.

cblack and TheFatboi like this

Yes MM is a genius in his own mind and we as fans have no clue about anything and are little twits that just need to shut up and sit there and watch the game.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gabbert struggled again due to the complicated playbook.

But sidenote: where is FFS70 at, with his Laurent Robinson dribble? Struggling in his man MM's scheme, but it was obvious he was going to do what he did in Dallas in Atlanta. I told yall schemes make a lot of difference. The only difference between Dallas and JAX is the scheme for Laurent.

Was just about to ask the same thing. The star we let get away is struggling in practice...who would have thought that.

It seems like MM has an idea for what each player at each position should be able to do. While he has a right to think that as a coordinator, he should not completely dismiss what players can do (Harry Douglas, Jacquizz Rodgers, Snelling). We could have had so many more contributions to our team last year if he wasn't stuck in his way of doing things. Scheme does absolutely matter in the NFL. When you go from Jason Garrett designing an offense to MM, there is going to be a huge difference in play and production from a player like Laurent Robinson

It seems like MM has an idea for what each player at each position should be able to do. While he has a right to think that as a coordinator, he should not completely dismiss what players can do (Harry Douglas, Jacquizz Rodgers, Snelling). We could have had so many more contributions to our team last year if he wasn't stuck in his way of doing things. Scheme does absolutely matter in the NFL. When you go from Jason Garrett designing an offense to MM, there is going to be a huge difference in play and production from a player like Laurent Robinson

Let some on this board tell it, it's solely about player execution but can't explain to me how HD not being able to block a DE is poor execution and not poor scheming.

MM's scheme/coaching style is to introduce a football scheme and then run that scheme. It is based upon reacting to whatever the defense lines up in. If they line up one way, the routes are supposed to be run a certain way. If they line up another way, the routes are run differently. He once explained that this scheme was designed to always have open men because the offense would go wherever the defense was not.

Problem was that defenses dictate where the ball is going in that style offense. Good defenses and good DC's could line their men up in a certain way and know where the ball was going to go. THEY were dictating where the ball goes. Good defenses would give us a presnap look, then switch up after the snap, causing throwaways, confusion, etc.

I have long said I'd rather have a coordinator that watches film all week and implements an individual, week by week gameplan designed to attach individual teams' weaknesses; as opposed to Mularkey's implement a system and run it every week scheme.

MM's scheme/coaching style is to introduce a football scheme and then run that scheme. It is based upon reacting to whatever the defense lines up in. If they line up one way, the routes are supposed to be run a certain way. If they line up another way, the routes are run differently. He once explained that this scheme was designed to always have open men because the offense would go wherever the defense was not.

Problem was that defenses dictate where the ball is going in that style offense. Good defenses and good DC's could line their men up in a certain way and know where the ball was going to go. THEY were dictating where the ball goes. Good defenses would give us a presnap look, then switch up after the snap, causing throwaways, confusion, etc.

I have long said I'd rather have a coordinator that watches film all week and implements an individual, week by week gameplan designed to attach individual teams' weaknesses; as opposed to Mularkey's implement a system and run it every week scheme.

That takes too much work for MM lol

That's why the guys who still back MM crack me up. The guy was not good. He beat weak teams but not strong teams. We relied on teams making mistakes. We never forced the issue. That's why we couldn't beat Cover 2. If a team is not going to give up the big play, we aren't going to have one. That's I never understood "taking what the defense gives you" because good defenses won't give you anything. See: Giants. They gave us nothing and that's what we ended with.

We had 1 gameplan every week and it hinged on us executing. That's why 1 slip and we were behind the 8 ball.

Exactly how Green Bay got us before half in the playoffs. They knew the play before it was coming. MM didnt make adjustments because he felt his offense was an adjustment in and of itself. So if everything is on the fly from letting the defense dictate where the ball was going, how can a player really know an offense when DC are coming up with new schemes every year to stop what they saw on film from last year. While there was evolution in talent, there was no evolution in coaching philosophy and player development within those schemes

Exactly how Green Bay got us before half in the playoffs. They knew the play before it was coming. MM didnt make adjustments because he felt his offense was an adjustment in and of itself. So if everything is on the fly from letting the defense dictate where the ball was going, how can a player really know an offense when DC are coming up with new schemes every year to stop what they saw on film from last year. While there was evolution in talent, there was no evolution in coaching philosophy and player development within those schemes

That's why his offenses peak and then he is out in 3 years. Here was the only place he's been beyond 3 years. Thank the lockout for that. Steelers fans even told us about him

cblack likes this

Well, being the number 1 WR for JAX is also much different than being 3 or 4 WR in DAL.

And Romo is a little better than Gabbert.

I heard some players say similar things, like koetter is fun to be around and how demanding MM was, or how w lot of players feel they can just go out and have fun and night think so much...

Heck even heath Evans who I Dnt like even said they want to be a little more simple on offense...

If MM playbook was that tough then he needs to shoot himself for making a playbook that tough but so **** predictable....smh

Well, being the number 1 WR for JAX is also much different than being 3 or 4 WR in DAL.

All of Laurents production came when he was plugged right into Austins spot while he was hurt. Laurent won't be the #1 in Jax either. There is no way you can tell me he is better than Blackmon

All of Laurents production came when he was plugged right into Austins spot while he was hurt. Laurent won't be the #1 in Jax either. There is no way you can tell me he is better than Blackmon

OK, he was called a number one in the article in OP.

That's why the guys who still back MM crack me up. The guy was not good. He beat weak teams but not strong teams. We relied on teams making mistakes. We never forced the issue.

Mularkey didn't beat anybody, he was a coordinator. If we'd sent Smith MM and BVG out onto the field, we might have actually scored a playoff point.

I thought Mularkey's time had come, but I certainly don't heap the blame on him the way others on here chose to do. It's pretty easy to throw the departed under the bus. Just remember, MM's boss is still here and so is his bosses boss.

Peyton likes this

It's pretty easy to throw the departed under the bus.

Just for the record, there were plenty of us shoving him under yellow biggie long before he left town.

Sheerz, vel, Borat and 8 others like this

His QB has nothing to do with how he is looking in camp nor does his position on the depth chart.

Mularkey didn't beat anybody, he was a coordinator. If we'd sent Smith MM and BVG out onto the field, we might have actually scored a playoff point.

I thought Mularkey's time had come, but I certainly don't heap the blame on him the way others on here chose to do. It's pretty easy to throw the departed under the bus. Just remember, MM's boss is still here and so is his bosses boss.

I threw MM under the bus in 2010 when we were winning 13 games and it was a few of us that took heat because we knew he was wack. His scheme is archaic and will never win a SB. It's based purely on 100% perfect execution (Read: the players) and none on getting those players in position to win. You agree with his style of coaching. That's fine. But it isn't going to win championships in the NFL.

Obviously he didn't play, but he was the master of the puppets (players). They did what he told them to. You will see just how bad MM was when this season is over.

I want to see this playbook or BVG playbook. I hear how hard they are.

His QB has nothing to do with how he is looking in camp nor does his position on the depth chart.

OK, Thought you were talking about what his numbers would be like this year.

I dont blame Mularkey for execution because that is on the players. I blame Mularkey for not realizing the level of talent he had to make his scheme fit them because of stubborness. He really showed his colors when he heard about the criticism from the fans and he said how we dont know the gameplan and what we are doing etc. What never occured to him was what we saw as diehard fans every week, are the same games every team in the NFL saw on film. The best teams with as much talent (if not more) adjusted and we couldnt compete