Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Creative

Lofton W/ The Saints

232 posts in this topic

Again, he's been shown getting in people's faces and riling people up on the sideline, and he's been characterized as a leader by our GM, HC, and other players. It's also ridiculous to knock Smith on this. There's a difference between being positive and not throwing a player under a bus and going out of your way to specifically characterize a player as a leader.

At the end of the day, you can think what you want based off your TV based psycho-analysis, but I'm confident I can go up to Flowery Branch and ask the guys that played and coached along side of him if he was a leader on that team, and they'd say yes, just like they have before.

link?

Just because the organization constantly said he was the leader, and I do mean constantly, doesn't mean that it was true. After all, what are they supposed to say? "Turns out the guy we have touted as the leader of the D since day 1 really isn't much of a leader at all, our mistake" To me it seemed like they were hoping that by saying it over and over and over an over again it would actually come true. I never really bought into him in that role and I don't think most fans did either and from what I saw on the field and in the locker room the players never really bought it either. This of course is just my opinion, but I don't see the 49ers having a press release every week reminding fans and players that Patrick Willis is the leader of their D. If you are the defensive leader for 4 years it should kind of go without saying, don't think it ever really stuck with Lofton.

Falconjerome likes this

It isn't personal the guy just hasn't shown any leadership. It's not because of a lack of evidence. On the contrary, all the evidence would lead you to believe he's not one. Our defense consistently had no character and displayed no toughness when it mattered most. We were regularly outmuscled and were quick to give up on a game. I watched every episode of D-Block and it was apparent that Peterson was the leader of that squad. Spoon seemed like one of the leaders as well. As far as Lofton is concerned, even Nicholas was more vocal than he was.

I have to agree, when i watched the D-block episodes, i never really saw Lofton getting riled up, Spoon, Nic, Dent, Peterson, and others I did. Now, I think Lofton is an above average MLB for the most part but a leader of the D, no. I respect his game but i can see why teams do not fear it. With that being said, to H_E_L_L with that dirty Aints!!!

Just because the organization constantly said he was the leader, and I do mean constantly, doesn't mean that it was true. After all, what are they supposed to say? "Turns out the guy we have touted as the leader of the D since day 1 really isn't much of a leader at all, our mistake" To me it seemed like they were hoping that by saying it over and over and over an over again it would actually come true. I never really bought into him in that role and I don't think most fans did either and from what I saw on the field and in the locker room the players never really bought it either. This of course is just my opinion, but I don't see the 49ers having a press release every week reminding fans and players that Patrick Willis is the leader of their D. If you are the defensive leader for 4 years it should kind of go without saying, don't think it ever really stuck with Lofton.

Who exactly was the leader of the defense? Abe? Grimes? Spoon? Pete?

Lofton.

I thought yall boys said he was not going to be a 3 down backer for Spags? Wrong again. Played every down. And LMAO at all the jilted fans saying he was terrible in coverage tonight. Saw one pass completed on him and the RB got no YAC. Also saw him get a PD on Heap. Had a couple tackles and a TFL. Yep we got Dimitroffed on that deal. Oh and Dent better be able to play the run as good or better than Lofton cause the Aints look like they will be an even better running team this year. We all know the Panties will be.

There was nothing impressive about Lofton in that game. He'll do the same there as he did here...make a lot of tackles and get burned in pass coverage when teams are playing for real.

Guys it was one preseason game.

Lofton and the Saints D looked good on a few plays and then they looked like they couldn't stop the run if they had to.

It's preseason so don't take too much from anything you see... other than Kevin Kolb looks like hot garbage.

It's preseason...

Show me evidence of Matt Ryan leading.

It's been said by many people in our organization starting from the GM down to the players. Unless you're calling them liars, stop arguing it.

Lofton didn't even break his own defense's huddle, he let a back up do it. Find me 1 moment then, that should be easier. You can't.

Our coaches lie pretty often. They said they thought Baker played pretty good last year given his back injury. They don't make anybody look bad so saying the FO speaks the truth is not an argument. Lofton played in the leader position of the defense. The LBs I played with when I played were leaders. When shlt hit the fan, like somebody pointed out, we could look at them and know we can go to helI and back with them and come out alive. That's Pete and Spoon. Not Lofton. Lofton would be right there sulking. I've seen it when we've gotten are asseskicked. I have never seen Lofton show a lick of leadership.

Again, the fact that it is even questioned is proof enough. You don't question Spoon and Asante are leaders. You don't question Ray Lewis and Ed Reed are leaders. Curtis Lofton is more Julius Peppers than Ray Lewis. There is no such thing as quiet leadership at MLB in the football.

You can't find me any proof of a time Lofton showed leadership ability besides when you saw it with your own two eyes. That's easy to say when you're trying to prove a point. I saw Lofton crying on the sideline during the Brees' Record Game. Does that make it true? You can't disprove it.

Thank you. Not to mention when Ryan cussed out the entire OLine in that Saints game that we won. Or when he threw that pick against the 49ers but we got the ball back, he got in the huddle and was like "Were going to walk out of here with a win fellas".

Who exactly was the leader of the defense? Abe? Grimes? Spoon? Pete?

Lofton.

You would have been if you played MLB. That's what yall don't get. Lofton was only the "leader" because the position he played is normally the leader of the defense. Willis, Cushing, Urlacher, Lewis, Beason, Scott. Those are leaders of their defense. Mike P was more of the leader than Lofton. Lofton didn't come off the field because he had the green dot. They weren't going to take that responsibility from him because DL nor DBs call plays. It's always an LB and Lofton had done it for 3 years.

I'll challenge you to find me just 1 time with proof of when Lofton showed leadership. Broke a huddle, got in somebody's face, rallied the troops. Something.

falconsrus likes this

http://www.nfl.com/videos/atlanta-falcons/09000d5d81adfa12/GameDay-Falcons-vs-Saints-highlights

It wasn't the OLine, it was the whole offense I'm sorry. Start at 4:30

Free Radical that was the dumbest thing I've seen you post. Ryan has shown his leadership ability. Don't blame it on the camera being on him. You see Mike P breaking the huddle. You see leaders leading.

Camera might have been on Lofton a bit more if he were more of a vocal leader, just sayin.

Being a quiet leader isn't an excuse neither. Leaders always rise when there is a need. If you lined our players up on the field and didn't have any numbers on and told a stranger to point to the leader of the defense, they would not point to Lofton. Period.

You would have been if you played MLB. That's what yall don't get. Lofton was only the "leader" because the position he played is normally the leader of the defense. Willis, Cushing, Urlacher, Lewis, Beason, Scott. Those are leaders of their defense. Mike P was more of the leader than Lofton. Lofton didn't come off the field because he had the green dot. They weren't going to take that responsibility from him because DL nor DBs call plays. It's always an LB and Lofton had done it for 3 years.

I'll challenge you to find me just 1 time with proof of when Lofton showed leadership. Broke a huddle, got in somebody's face, rallied the troops. Something.

Again who was the leader on the defense? Abe? Grimes? Spoon? Pete?

If so why didn't Smtty ever name at least one of them as the leader?

The MLB is not always the leader on a defense. If that's the case Dent is the unquestioned leader on the 2012 defense right? Jeez bro.

Guys it was one preseason game.

Lofton and the Saints D looked good on a few plays and then they looked like they couldn't stop the run if they had to.

It's preseason so don't take too much from anything you see... other than Kevin Kolb looks like hot garbage.

It's preseason...

Yea and only 2 starters were in on that drive.

The MLB is not always the leader on a defense. If that's the case Dent is the unquestioned leader on the 2012 defense right? Jeez bro.

When the MLB isn't the leader who typically takes over the role, the SS, OLB, DE? the most vocal guy on the field perhaps? Having a green dot on your helmet doesn't make you a leader, jeez bro.

Again who was the leader on the defense? Abe? Grimes? Spoon? Pete?

If so why didn't Smtty ever name at least one of them as the leader?

Didn't say always, said normally. Don't twist the words.

If Lofton was the leader, give me 1 instance where he showed it. That's all I'm asking, with proof. Just one. Lofton played the position that is often times the leader of the defense. Unfortunately, that isn't something that's in him.

Yall hang your hat on what Smitty says when it's convenient when we all know Smitty isn't the most honest to the media.

Pete broke huddles. Spoon rallied the troops. Lofton did what? Just called the plays.

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

SMITH: Well, I think we have a great leadership group in our locker room. We’ve got a number of what I call mentors. On the offensive side of the ball you’ve got Tony Gonzalez. We were able to sign Todd McClure back (on Tuesday) which I think is a very positive move for us in terms of leadership. You’ve got Michael Turner and Matt Ryan. So, I think offensively we’ve got a number of guys that know how we do things in Atlanta and (know) what we’re looking for. Defensively, (we’ve) got John Abraham back on the defensive line. We lost Curtis Lofton in free agency so there is going to have to be a void filled there, but I think Sean Weatherspoon is ready to step into that role. Sean is a very verbal player and well –respected even though he’s only been in the league two years.

Didn't say always, said normally. Don't twist the words.

If Lofton was the leader, give me 1 instance where he showed it. That's all I'm asking, with proof. Just one. Lofton played the position that is often times the leader of the defense. Unfortunately, that isn't something that's in him.

Yall hang your hat on what Smitty says when it's convenient when we all know Smitty isn't the most honest to the media.

Pete broke huddles. Spoon rallied the troops. Lofton did what? Just called the plays.

I gave you instances before where I saw Lofton on the field and the bench leading the team. Pumping up players and getting into ases. I have seen him jack up Abe, RayRay, Spoon and DeCoud before.

Of course I don't have a tape cut on it and I saw some of it with my own eyes at the Dome but make no mistake about it I have seen it. I have no spreadsheet either.

Join the crew swiftee. I guess everything that comes out of Smitty's mouth is the gospel huh? Find me 1 instance where Lofton showed his leadership with proof. Just 1. Why is this so hard?