Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

Braves Vs. Nationals

439 posts in this topic

Next for Braves: Washington Nationals

3:54 pm July 19, 2012, by Carroll Rogers

Series preview: at Nationals

When (TV): 7:05 p.m. Friday (WPCH), 1:05 p.m. and 7:05 p.m. Saturday (WPCH), 1:35 p.m. Sunday (FSSO)

Radio: 680, 93.7, 100.5

Probable starting pitchers:

Friday: Braves RH Tommy Hanson (10-5, 4.02 ERA) vs. RH Stephen Strasburg (10-4, 2.66)

Saturday 1:05 p.m.: Braves RH Ben Sheets (1-0, 0.00) vs. RH Edwin Jackson (5-4, 3.73)

Saturday 7:05 p.m.: Braves RH Randall Delgado (4-9, 4.52) vs. LH John Lannan (6-8, 4.60 in Triple-a Syracuse)

Sunday: Braves RH Jair Jurrjens (3-3, 6.20) vs. LH Ross Detwiler (4-3, 3.15)

About the Braves:

Batting: Freddie Freeman is on a 10-game hitting streak, while going 15-for-36 (.417) with five doubles, three home runs and eight RBIs. Brian McCann has five home runs in his past eight games, including a two-run game-tying homer in the 10th inning of an eventual loss to the Giants on Wednesday. He’s on a nine-game hitting streak. Dan Uggla is 11-for-100 (.110) with 40 strikeouts in his past 30 games.

Pitching: Hanson is 1-1 with a 6.05 ERA in three starts in July after going 4-0 with a 3.13 ERA in five starts in June. One of those June wins included a 3-2 victory over the Nationals, after he gave up home runs to Steve Lombardozzi and Bryce Harper to start the game but nothing else in seven innings. Hanson’s next win will match his career high of 11, set in 2009 and 2011.

Miscellaneous: The Braves, who enter this series 3 ½ games behind the Nationals, are only 2-6 against the Nationals this season. They are 35-45 overall against them since 2008, and 15-23 all-time at Nationals Park.

About the Nationals:

Batting: Ryan Zimmerman is hitting .388 (19-for-49) with five doubles, six home runs and 13 RBIs in July. Bryce Harper has hit three of his eight major league home runs against the Braves. He went 8-for-16 (.500) with three home runs and five runs in five games in his first two series against the Braves and 2-for-14 (.143) with two runs in the last series against them June 29-July 1.

Pitching: Strasburg has taken three of his eight career losses to the Braves. He’s 16-8 with a 2.60 ERA overall, 2-3 with a 4.26 ERA against the Braves. He’s won two out of three against them this year though, while allowing seven earned runs in 15 innings. His only loss came when he had to leave a June 30 start at Turner Field after three innings with heat-related issues. Lannan has spent all season in Triple-A Syracuse but will be called up to start Saturday. He is 8-5 with a 3.25 ERA in 15 career starts against the Braves, including 3-1 with a 2.97 ERA in five starts in 2011.

Miscellaneous: Closer Tyler Clippard’s ERA rose from 1.83 to 2.83 after he allowed three runs in a blown save Tuesday against the Mets and gave up solo home runs to David Wright and Jason Bay on Wednesday. The Nationals activated Drew Storen, who had 43 saves last year, from the disabled list Thursday. He’d been out all season following April surgery to remove bone chips in his elbow.

-Carroll Rogers

i had a dream last night where the nats and braves had a bench clearing brawl and uggla actually hit something

LMAO!!!!!!!!!

But in all seriousness this will make or break the Braves season as far as winning the NL East goes. If the worst happens and the Braves lose 3 of 4 or even get swept the season is over as far as I'm concerned. Can't count on the WC spot this year with the way they have it set up now.

Braves must win 3 of 4 in my eyes to have a legit shot at winning the division. Anything less won't be good.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!

But in all seriousness this will make or break the Braves season as far as winning the NL East goes. If the worst happens and the Braves lose 3 of 4 or even get swept the season is over as far as I'm concerned. Can't count on the WC spot this year with the way they have it set up now.

Braves must win 3 of 4 in my eyes to have a legit shot at winning the division. Anything less won't be good.

I think a split would be ok as well. But, the Braves seem to be a better road team than home team this year, so maybe they can get 3.

I think a split would be ok as well. But, the Braves seem to be a better road team than home team this year, so maybe they can get 3.

I don't think treading water at this point, which is basically what the Braves have done for the last 2 months, is ok. Braves need to start beating the Nats and making up ground. I don't see the Nats going on a 6 or 7 game losing streak as long as they keep that pitching staff together.

Been hearing for a decade how the Braves have so much great pitching in the farm system and so many arms.

Never been impressed with a **** one of 'em and the one guy I was impressed with is now helping the Rangers get to World Series'

For as great as Tommy Hanson pitched in June he has pitched like total crap in July. You know what the difference is between Tommy Hanson and Tom Glavine? Once Glavine got past the 1st inning you knew it would be smooth sailing for him for 6 or 7 innings. With Hanson you just never know. He could pitch 6 shutout innings or not make it out of the 4th.

Been hearing for a decade how the Braves have so much great pitching in the farm system and so many arms.

Never been impressed with a **** one of 'em and the one guy I was impressed with is now helping the Rangers get to World Series'

Yep. So sick of hearing about all these Braves pitchers and only to have them do nothing but piss themselves in the majors.

Nationals PR@NationalsPR

With 3 runs in the first inning tonight, the #Nationals have outscored the Braves 15-1 in the first inning of their 15 contests this year.

This is why the Braves can't beat the Nationals. Nats always scored in the first inning and the Braves are left fighting an uphill battle against arguable the best pitching staff in baseball.

7 game winning streak you say??

No worries. They can even it out with a nice 1-7 streak.

Braves went 4-14 against the phillies the year they won the WS. Braves will more than likey be 2-7 tonight against the gnats. And that 08 Braves team was far far worse than this bunch.

Another 3-run bomb given up by Hanson and it's 6-0 Nationals. Thankfully it's only 20 more days until the Falcons preseason game against the Ravens.

There is not a single pitcher in the current starting rotation that I want to see back next year. Not ******* one of them. Sign nothing but free agents to complete the rotation and make Beachy the ace next year.

Hanson is the #1 guy we should be getting rid of. Hes been given plenty of time to progress and has failed. THis team continues to bow down to the Nats. SMH