Pat Ys Top 25 Now 8

NFC South top 25: No. 8

July, 11, 2012

JUL 11

7:48

AM ET

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

RECOMMEND1TWEET10COMMENTS408EMAILPRINT

We continue our series of my projected top 25 players in the NFC South for the 2012 season with No. 8:

Steve Smith, wide receiver, Panthers

What he did in 2011: Caught 79 passes for 1,394 yards and seven touchdowns. Easily his best season since 2008 as Carolina truly opened up its passing game for the first time in Smith’s career. His 17.6 average per catch also was easily his best since 2008 and Smith seemed to develop a unique relationship with rookie quarterback Cam Newton.

Why he’s No. 8 in 2012: Although he turned 33 in May, there are no signs of Smith slowing down. People like to say Newton rejuvenated Smith’s career and there’s truth in that. But Smith helped jump start Newton’s career. Newton’s a sharp guy and he knows that Smith is the key to this offense. Smith will be at least as much a part of this offense as last year. I’m thinking, with Newton going through an entire offseason program, Smith’s 2012 numbers could be even better.

Steve Smith had a great bounce back year last year, but lets face it he was Newton's go to guy. If you look at body of work, Roddy has been the better receiver over the last 4-5 years.

laugh.png White was better in '09 and '10.... back when Delhomme was going through his meltdown, and in '10, with Clausen, a qb that was afraid to throw the ball more than 2 yards.

Edited by pox 08

laugh.png White was better in '09 and '10.... back when Delhomme was going through his meltdown, and in '10, with Clausen, a qb that was afraid to throw the ball more than 2 yards.

I think your right in why his production dropped. You still can't put him over Roddy due to 1 season though. Roddy has been a top 5 reciver past few season. Just cause he had some drops doesn't mean he flopped. Just like hyping Cam and Stafford up for 1 season. That's Pat Y for you though just ask Freeman.

White was better in '09 and '10.... back when Delhomme was going through his meltdown, and in '10, with Clausen, a qb that was afraid to throw the ball more than 2 yards.

Roddy had over 1,200 yards playing with Chris Redman and Joey Harrington - so you can't use that excuse. laugh.png

The numbers don't lie... over the last 5 years Roddy has 471 receptions to Smith's 355, Roddy had 6,422 yards to Smith's 5,353 and Roddy has 42 TD's to Smith's 29.

Last year was Smith's best year since 2008 and probably Roddy's worst, still Roddy had 21 more receptions and 1 more TD than Smith, whilst Smith had 98 more yards.

I can't see any case for ranking Smith above Roddy...

Guest Negatorris

NFC South top 25: No. 8

July, 11, 2012

JUL 11

7:48

AM ET

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

RECOMMEND1TWEET10COMMENTS408EMAILPRINT

We continue our series of my projected top 25 players in the NFC South for the 2012 season with No. 8:

Steve Smith, wide receiver, Panthers

What he did in 2011: Caught 79 passes for 1,394 yards and seven touchdowns. Easily his best season since 2008 as Carolina truly opened up its passing game for the first time in Smith's career. His 17.6 average per catch also was easily his best since 2008 and Smith seemed to develop a unique relationship with rookie quarterback Cam Newton.

Why he's No. 8 in 2012: Although he turned 33 in May, there are no signs of Smith slowing down. People like to say Newton rejuvenated Smith's career and there's truth in that. But Smith helped jump start Newton's career. Newton's a sharp guy and he knows that Smith is the key to this offense. Smith will be at least as much a part of this offense as last year. I'm thinking, with Newton going through an entire offseason program, Smith's 2012 numbers could be even better.

59Vt6.gif

Roddy had over 1,200 yards playing with Chris Redman and Joey Harrington - so you can't use that excuse. laugh.png

The numbers don't lie... over the last 5 years Roddy has 471 receptions to Smith's 355, Roddy had 6,422 yards to Smith's 5,353 and Roddy has 42 TD's to Smith's 29.

Last year was Smith's best year since 2008 and probably Roddy's worst, still Roddy had 21 more receptions and 1 more TD than Smith, whilst Smith had 98 more yards.

I can't see any case for ranking Smith above Roddy...

That's a walk-off home run for any level-headed person...

Guys, keep in mind that these people get paid to entertain and draw an audience to their employer's network, not provide statistical information and analysis. Do you really think that people want to see Ryan ranked ahead of Newton, whether they think it's true or not, on a national level? These guys feed the the audience what THE AUDIENCE wants to hear so that they can in turn make a profit from the audience's viewing or reading.

I used to really like Pat Y but this past year or two his writing has felt like he's been on autopilot or something. I really hope he isn't trying to "stir the pot" because they have Bayless for that and it's not journalism it's the National Enquirer. I get the feeling he gets a deadline for a blurb, jots down some quick bs, then at the last minute posts it for the world to see.

I don't get this list at all. Smiler showed easily that White has been better than Smith so it can't be on the past. If he is talking about how he projects these players will be next year why would he have a healthy Beason so far back on the list or several other players for that matter?

What are these "Top 25" based off?

I used to really like Pat Y but this past year or two his writing has felt like he's been on autopilot or something. I really hope he isn't trying to "stir the pot" because they have Bayless for that and it's not journalism it's the National Enquirer. I get the feeling he gets a deadline for a blurb, jots down some quick bs, then at the last minute posts it for the world to see.

I don't get this list at all. Smiler showed easily that White has been better than Smith so it can't be on the past. If he is talking about how he projects these players will be next year why would he have a healthy Beason so far back on the list or several other players for that matter?

I think it's just from a production stand-point for next season. I really doubt he sincerely believes this list, he's probably just trying to stir the pot for hits and recognition.

That is what I am trying to understand. His list has been all over the place and his explanations for placing the players where they are on his list still lacks the actual substance of reality(example:Greer ahead of Grimes, and Gamble). He also leaves players that still play at a very good to high level off the list due to their age like Samuel(31) who is also better than Greer, Tony G(36), and Abe(34) but put other old players on the list like Greer(1 year younger than Samuel), Steve Smith(33), and Drew Brees(33) even though he deserves and should be #1 but I doubt that he will surpass his historic numbers from 2011 this in coming season.