Is There Anything Much Harder Than Having To Put A Family Pet Down?

jb 3.0

I realize this isn't on the topic of NFCS Football, but I believe many of you have had to go through this at sometime.

I just called to make arrangements to have a vet come to our house this Friday to put down our 16 year old Scottish Terrier, Wallace. I'm so freaking sad! My wife decided she couldn't be he here after what we went through 6 years ago when we had to do the same thing with our 15 year old dalmatian.

I doubt we'll ever get another dog knowing this kind of heartbreak is coming!

Luckily for me I still have my 21 year old Macaw, Yancy! Hopefully he'll outlive me!

Again, sorry to post a non-football related thread.sad.png

Sorry JB.

Did that with our 17 year old EskoPom several years ago. Of course, that detail fell on me because the wife and kids couldn't do it. The morning of, my daughter called me a murderer right after she feed him a 1/2 box of treats. She later came to understand it was time. The Vet told me it was entirely my decision, but said if the dog exhibits pain or yelps, it may be time. That helped us get thru it because he did those things. He was our last pet.

Best of luck and time will heel the wound.

Never watch that movie milo (i think its called). Its not a childrens movie. While its painted as a comedy, its very sad in the end and heart breaking and mental scaring for any pet owner. Since we all expect we will face that day with our little loved ones.

yes there are harder things, i dont useally talk about it, but i have known you guys long enough....

in 2004 my GF of 6 yrs was Murdered in a Robbery

she was Beautiful , inside and out...

she was 26 yrs old 5'2 105 lbs , long blond hair and blue eyes, she looked alot like Britney Murphy with blue eyes

once we were broke ourselves, she dug thru the couch to scrape up change to take our Friends Bottles of Water because there water had been shut off...

she was shot in the head 6 times

6 times ...........

how anyone could do that to a person so lovely still to this day baffles me

its been 8 yrs

I have not opened my heart since

so as it may look as if my rock and roll life is all great

its not

far from it

I think of her every day still.....

anyway, sorry for your loss man

didnt mean to vent like that...

yes there are harder things, i dont useally talk about it, but i have known you guys long enough....

she was 26 yrs old 5'2 105 lbs , long blond hair and blue eyes, she looked alot like Britney Murphy with blue eyes

once we were broke ourselves, she dug thru the couch to scrape up change to take our Friends Bottles of Water because there water had been shut off...

6 times ...........

its been 8 yrs

its not

far from it

Understood, I'm just sad that we're losing what pretty much equates to a member of our family. My youngest was only 6 when we got Wallace, she's 21 now, and pretty upset.

I never tried to say this is tantamount to my wife or child dying, but it's still ******* hard!

6 times ...........

its been 8 yrs

its not

far from it

man I am sorry to hear that Shred

my wife and I suffered through a home invasion the weekend before Hurricane Gustav and I had to watch a POS put the barrel of his gun to her temple and tell me he was going to shoot her while his partner had me covered.

Don't know what I would have done in your situation

man I am sorry to hear that Shred

my wife and I suffered through a home invasion the weekend before Hurricane Gustav and I had to watch a POS put the barrel of his gun to her temple and tell me he was going to shoot her while his partner had me covered.

Don't know what I would have done in your situation

thanks man

yea i am doing what i think she would have wanted, Chasing my dream...

I would not want anyone to go thru what I have....

what makes it even worse is they have not made an arrest

I keep calling the ABI, and they keep saying they are working on it....

yea right....

Shredman, I'm sorry for your loss. It's senseless.

Dago, I've been robbed at gunpoint, I understand some of what you went through.

Jb- It's incredibly stressful. And the most loving thing you can do. Got a wonderful 16 year old Border collie/Lab mix and I know that time is coming. I spend as much time with him as I can and enjoy his company.

Bill Simmons wrote an incredible article about his dog and having to put him down. Still bring tears to my eye to read it.

One final toss for The Dooze 817-grey.gif

I went thru this in Jan........my friend Gus.........jack russell ......12 yrs. young gave it up. Sad as it gets..........then we went to a shelter north of Orlando and picked up a couple pups.......Lab/Black and Tan mix...........2 big puppy horses/dumbazzes but we love that shiz...........they'll be around a while.

I went thru this in Jan........my friend Gus.........jack russell ......12 yrs. young gave it up. Sad as it gets..........then we went to a shelter north of Orlando and picked up a couple pups.......Lab/Black and Tan mix...........2 big puppy horses/dumbazzes but we love that shiz...........they'll be around a while.

I just can't even think about getting another dog at the moment maybe in a few months. If you're a pet lover, this is inevitable for all of us that are, it's just freaking sad and it never gets easier.

Shred, I'm terribly sorry for you to have to go through such a wasteful tragedy, but know we will always meet them again, just not too soon we hope.

If any of you get the chance, watch Scorces's film about George Harrison, "Living in the Material World". A powerful film about a truly interesting man. The way all his friends and family discuss his passing, is really remarkable. I only wish I carry a small percentage of the grace and peace into my passing as George did with his.

I know the pain JB, and I'm so sorry about Wallace. :( Well, I didn't have to put him down, but our English Bulldog died right as we brought him to the vet from a heatstroke because my dad's moronic, stupid drug addict irresponsible friend left him outside like an idiot. I was a mixture of frustrated and sad. Beautiful dog.

Shred and Dago, I'm so sorry that happened to the both of you, and I just can't believe how evil some people are. Karma's going to bite those greedy, senseless ******* hard in the *** and I pray it's as ugly as can be.

This thread is full of heartache and senseless violence.

Although I never had to put a dog down, I have had to put down several animals, it's never easy. I still get tears in my eyes remembering 'Bubby' my first ferrit. She lived to be 8 years old, that's very old for a ferrit. Bubs was as smart as a cat and loyal like a dog, she was litter-box trained and had free range of the house. I would wake-up evey morning to little ferret kisses and she would greet me at the front door every night I came home from work. I would take her with me to my fathers ranch and she would follow me around, leashless.

I have had 7 ferrets in total, all of whom have passed Bubby, Sully(a BBM albino ferret, lol), Jessie, Blackie, Jessie II, pu-pu and Buddy.

Now i have animals that have a large life span. A Beagle, a Basset Hound, 2 Red Ear Sliders and a Ball Python. I'm guessing the turtles and snake will out live both myself and my wife, we;re willing them to my young nephew.

Edited by dirtydealin5858

Now i have animals that have a large life span. A Beagle, a Basset Hound, 2 Red Ear Sliders and a Ball Python. I'm guessing the turtles and snake will out live both myself and my wife, we;re willing them to my young nephew.

Which is exactly why I'm so happy I have my macaw, Yancy! He's 21 and should live for at least another 30 years, which means he'll more than likely outlive me.

again thanks to everyone, i know we talk alot smack to each other.... but we are all ppl with real feelings, and that is much more important than a game played by rich guys....

Here, Here! Absolutely!!!!!!

Edited by jb.069

Well.....It's done. The Vet just left. One of my girls came over to be with me while we did it. My wife couldn't bring herself to be here after what we went through when we put down our 15 year old Dalmatian 6 years ago. I'm sure they're both out chasing squirrels right now.sad.png