America The Backward

Boogie Man

Seeing where Snellville raised a whopping 19k for Aimee Copeland, the flesh-eating disease victim, reminded me how America has become a backarsewards society.

A nation where an old lady who gets bullied gets close to half a mil in donations, but a young woman who loses both legs and hands gets 19k. A nation where the average sentence for a rapist is less than for a person convicted of marijuana cultivation.

I guess it should come as no surprise in a nation that drives on parkways and parks on driveways.

Any other examples of how we have things backwards here in America???

Edited by Truthhurts

Guest Deisel

Seeing where Snellville raised a whopping 19k for Aimee Copeland, the flesh-eating disease victim, reminded me how America has become a backarsewards society.

A nation where an old lady who gets bullied gets close to half a mil in donations, but a young woman who loses both legs and hands gets 19k. A nation where the average sentence for a rapist is less than for a person convicted of marijuana cultivation.

I guess it should come as no surprise in a nation that drives on parkways and parks on driveways.

You could take this concept and theory Much farther and add the decaying American attitude towards self governing and independance. We are becoming a nation of slobs and a nanny state. How is it people can Vote for their Govt goodies, not pay tax's and Demand More and More without putting in a thing?

People that don't, won't and have no desire to work (other than as a baby manufacturing facility) gets more financial assistance than those actually actively seeking employment...

Good point. I don't want a government that helps a healthy person earning zero, yet shuns someone trying, needs a little extra help, but earning over a set amount where the gov't says eff u, you earn too much. No, the government should tell able-bodied adults; eff u, you don't earn enough!!!

How corporations can actually be categorized as "people".

Not sure categorizing a group of people as people is so backwards. I can see a publicly traded Corp. being an exception, but small and medium size Corps that are privately owned by one or a couple of individuals should be considered a person. They're an entity, like you and me.

Not sure categorizing a group of people as people is so backwards. I can see a publicly traded Corp. being an exception, but small and medium size Corps that are privately owned by one or a couple of individuals should be considered a person. They're an entity, like you and me.

Except you and I don't think alike. A publicly traded corporation cannot possibly reflect the political leanings of everyone who buys their stock.

So a corporation can marry? A corporation can vote? A corporation can own guns? A corporation can have an abortion? A corporation can enlist in the military and fight in a war? A corporation can obtain a driver's license?

Yeah, a corporation sounds just like any other person to me. rolleyes.gif

Also, as a little aside to the OP. I live directly across the street from the Copelands and there is a tree company clearing their back yard and a construction company that is going to add 1600 sq. ft. onto their property completely free of charge and the $19k is just what was raised by the city of Snellville. I'm sure they're had many more donations from around the country.

Is this the girl who got that disease from zip-lining?

Highly dubious Statement. A quick google renders evidence that it is not true.

"average sentence for convicted rapists was 11.8 years"

http://en.wikipedia....rape#Common_law

"Q: How long, on average, is the sentence for a federal marijuana offense?

A: The average sentence for a federal marijuana crime is just over three years (36.2 months).

This average sentence is significantly shorter than the average federal prison sentences for

offenses involving any other type of drug."

http://www.google.co...8vLMiQOz-eMvYsA

Who's Making Money in SEC Football? - Forbes

Athletic Association Gives $6M

UGA Athletic Association giving $6 million to teaching and research

A newly released NCAA report shows that just 14 of the 120 Football Bowl Subdivision schools made money from campus athletics in the 2009 fiscal year, down from 25 the year before.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5490686

So this is wasted money being spent when teachers are being furloughed.