Supplemental Draft: Josh Gordon, Wide Receiver, Baylor

What do you guys think about our chances on taking this guy? He appears to be gaining stock with his freakish size and athletic ability, which is no surprise for a wide receiver who apparently stands 6'3'' tall, weighs 220 lbs. and runs a sub-4.4 40 yard dash.

There's not a lot on the internet about this guy, but he was apparently suspended in 2011 for violating team rules and has now entered the supplemental draft. There have been some reputable people praising him, so he's kind of an intriguing prospect.

Here are two interesting quotes I was able to dig up:

"Josh Gordon’s current skill and style of play reminds me of a mix between a raw Terrell Owens and Demaryius Thomas. However, his potential could be as limitless as Calvin Johnson." - Matt Waldman, author of the Rookie Scouting Portfolio

"Based purely on film evaluation Gordon is a better prospect than Brian Quick and Stephen Hill who were both second round picks in the 2012 NFL Draft." - Russ Lande, Former NFL Scout

Those are pretty big names to be compared to for a supplemental draft prospect. Russ Lande gave him a 2nd round grade based purely on his 2010 film, which is surprising. It makes me wonder if Kendall Wright would have been a 1st round pick had this guy been playing this past season.

Here's a video I found of him that showcases his speed:

So, what do you guys think? Do you think we should consider spending a pick on him in the supplemental draft? He does have character flags, but it's not exactly clear what kind of issues they were. However, they were serious enough to be suspended from his team for an entire season. It seems like a risk/reward move to me.

Edited by Master Exploder

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Josh Gordon’s current skill and style of play reminds me of a mix between a raw Terrell Owens and Demaryius Thomas. However, his potential could be as limitless as Calvin Johnson." - Matt Waldman, author of the Rookie Scouting Portfolio

Matt Waldman was a friend of mine in high school. We graduated together and were both in the band at Henderson High. He was a helluva saxophone player.

The funny thing is that I don't even remember him of being that big of a football fan in high school, but that guy studies the game as hard as anybody now.

Matt Waldman was a friend of mine in high school. We graduated together and were both in the band at Henderson High. He was a helluva saxophone player.

The funny thing is that I don't even remember him of being that big of a football fan in high school, but that guy studies the game as hard as anybody now.

That's actually really neat.

Possibly, although I don't really try to predict the supplemental. The last guy to get chosen in the 2nd round of the supplemental draft was Tony Hollings in 2003 out of GA Tech.

Yeah, it's hard to predict. Usually these guys have huge character concerns and there's simply not enough time to evaluate them like they do in the regular draft. I'm hearing rumors that he won't make it out of the 3rd, but you really can't put much stock in those reports, because the media loves to go crazy over a big guy that runs fast. I'm not really interested in spending anything more than a 4th on him, but say if he were available in the 4th... would it really be a bad decision to pull the trigger on him?

WRs

2011 returners - White, Jones, Douglas, Meier, Cone

Weems was not resigned

Davis from the PS was resigned

There are 4 UDFAs Rodgers, Jackson, Calvin, Stafford

Thus 10 WRs competing for just 5 slots

but in reality White Jones Douglas are secure

so it's 7 WRs already competing for just 2 slots

Is this Gordan so much better than these guys that you would waste

a 2013 draft pick just to add him to the mix?

Edited by delaigle

WRs

2011 returners - White, Jones, Douglas, Meier, Cone*

Weems not resigned

Then Davis from the PS was resigned

There are 7 WRs competing for those 2 slots

along with Meier, Cone and Davis There are 4 UDFAs Rodgers, Jackson, Calvin, Stafford

Is this Gordan so much better than these guys that you would waste a 2013 draft pick just to add him to the mix?

My point exactly. He won't be any better than 5th WR as 1-4 are Roddy, Julio, HD, and Meier

Yeah, it's hard to predict. Usually these guys have huge character concerns and there's simply not enough time to evaluate them like they do in the regular draft. I'm hearing rumors that he won't make it out of the 3rd, but you really can't put much stock in those reports, because the media loves to go crazy over a big guy that runs fast. I'm not really interested in spending anything more than a 4th on him, but say if he were available in the 4th... would it really be a bad decision to pull the trigger on him?

Sure if he becomes a better than expected WR then a 4th would be well worth it. Then again he might just be this year's Terrell Pryor hype.

That's actually really neat.

Matt's work has appeared in the NYT Times on a number of occasions, so he's obviously now hack at this, but I just tweeted him and told him that he has officially hit the big time now because his work is being cited on the AFMB.

My point exactly. He won't be any better than 5th WR as 1-4 are Roddy, Julio, HD, and Meier

Roddy White, Julio Jones, and Harry Douglas are good receivers. Outside of that we have next to nothing. A kid who has yet to prove anything and a bunch of undrafted guys. How do you feel comfortable with that?

I can't figure out where anyone sees any evidence that Meier is going to be a player in this league. I don't.

Exactly. Wide receiver is one of our worst positions on the team in terms of depth. If anybody is comfortable with it then they are entirely too optimistic. I'm convinced we will be bringing in a free agent by the time regular season begins. If Roddy, Julio, or Harry suffered an injury then we would really be screwed and Heaven forbid if 2 of them suffered an injury.

I can't figure out where anyone sees any evidence that Meier is going to be a player in this league. I don't.

There's really not other than I thought he's looked good in training camp but then again Chris Owens looks good every year then too.

The guy has been injured so there is a lot of hope attached to the hype but no one can say he is a bust yet either.

Guy reminds me of Randy Moss with that stride and break away speed ...and yea we do need another WR atleast four dont for get Roddy's contract will be comming up soon and we might be in a fight to keep his services

1. Roddy isn't a FA until 2015. By then, he will be 33.

2. Who is going to be fighting for the services for a 33yo WR?

This guy will have to come in ready to play, which I doubt because he would have came out in the draft if he was and he would have had a bigger name (a la Terrelle Pryor/Jared Gaither)

Exactly. Wide receiver is one of our worst positions on the team in terms of depth. If anybody is comfortable with it then they are entirely too optimistic. I'm convinced we will be bringing in a free agent by the time regular season begins. If Roddy, Julio, or Harry suffered an injury then we would really be screwed and Heaven forbid if 2 of them suffered an injury.

Lol you don't have 5 or 6 pro bowlers at recievers. With Roddy, JJ and Harry Douglas we are fine. Not to mention Tony G and some young guys who can develop. Kerry has good hands, decent size and can separate. Is he special nobody knows. Jordy Nelson wasn't special until they let him play.

Roddy White, Julio Jones, and Harry Douglas are good receivers. Outside of that we have next to nothing. A kid who has yet to prove anything and a bunch of undrafted guys. How do you feel comfortable with that?

Not saying he will be a player, but the staff likes him. No WR is going to trump that. This is his year to prove something though. If he doesn't then he is on thin ice. Please point where I said he was going to be a player.

They drafted him and raved about him for how long? They aren't going to dump him without a return on investment. That's all this is about. Same with Baker and Jerry. They are trying their hardest to get returns on their investments (draft picks) before they cut them. Ask JA98. He wasn't even a pick and he stuck for 3 years.

1. Roddy isn't a FA until 2015. By then, he will be 33.

2. Who is going to be fighting for the services for a 33yo WR?

This guy will have to come in ready to play, which I doubt because he would have came out in the draft if he was and he would have had a bigger name (a la Terrelle Pryor/Jared Gaither)

He was suspended for the entire season. There is a very, very good chance that he would've been the Baylor receiver taken in the 1st round had he played this past season.