One Week Left...

Falconcheff

Okay saints fans,

This is the last week for Brees and a longterm deal. If nothing gets signed by midnight July 15, under CBA rules he cannot get a longterm deal until next year.

This will be a major topic all week long on every NFL program, so stay tuned.

TBH, I think they'll get the deal done at 11:59 next Sunday night...

Word

Whaddya say, Ray. Are you looking forward to a week's worth of drama? Or do you think something gets done sooner?

BTW, same question applies to Falcon Fans about Grimes. I'd like to see him extended to a three year deal that frees up some cap space for another LT to be signed during training camp.

Everyone says it's gonna get done, but it's way overdue in my mind. Shoulda been done months ago.

I think now that the league has clarified the Franchise Tag issue, the saints will sign Brees to a longterm deal. He's going to get $40M between 2012/2013 no matter what, barring he's "carted off" the field. wink.png

That leaves the remainder of the deal to be hammered out and Benson wants him signed. So I could see a 5 year / 90+M / 57+M guaranteed deal. Basically a tremendous 3 year deal with 2 voidable years on the backside of the agreement.

Anything less than a Brees longterm deal would be a disaster for the Saints, well beyond the penalties of Bountygate. (which by the way the Saints will recover just fine IMO)

Everyone says it's gonna get done, but it's way overdue in my mind. Shoulda been done months ago.

I think now that the league has clarified the Franchise Tag issue, the saints will sign Brees to a longterm deal. He's going to get $40M between 2012/2013 no matter what, barring he's "carted off" the field. wink.png

That leaves the remainder of the deal to be hammered out and Benson wants him signed. So I could see a 5 year / 90+M / 57+M guaranteed deal. Basically a tremendous 3 year deal with 2 voidable years on the backside of the agreement.

Anything less than a Brees longterm deal would be a disaster for the Saints, well beyond the penalties of Bountygate. (which by the way the Saints will recover just fine IMO)

Eye to eye, man. Eye to eye.

Saints will recover from Bountygate... if they ever allow it to conclude!

if no deal is met, Saints Fans may aswell say good bye to their franchise ....

he will walk next yr , no way can they afford to give him 24 mil plus next yr on a Tag.....

it will probably get done

if not

They are Stupid as he77.... because he will walk away, this is a guy who sued his own mom .... he will walk and not look back

He has had the top paid player in the NFL contract sitting on the table and he wont take it. They have offered more and he wont take that.

He either is dead locked on wanting 23 mill (which if i recall from TFT is around 1/5 the entire Saints cash.)

or he is playing a dangerous game.

Even for Brees... colts let Manning go. Favre another HOF`er got bounced by GB.

Brees means alot but 1 day the saints will move on without him. Thats a lot of cash to throw at 1 player. While yeah he should be 1 of the top paid if not the highest paid. He shouldn't cripple the team financially. Thats probably want his agent is doing though. Putting the Saints in a no win scenario.

Bad thing is fans have to support Loomis in what ever he does and trust he will make a smart choice. Because ever single QB this guy represent is gonna be having this same issue when they become FA`s

Edited by danight

He has had the top paid player in the NFL contract sitting on the table and he wont take it. They have offered more and he wont take that.

He either is dead locked on wanting 23 mill (which if i recall from TFT is around 1/5 the entire Saints cash.)

Brees means alot but 1 day the saints will move on without him. Thats a lot of cash to throw at 1 play. While yeah he should be 1 of the top paid if not the highest paid. He shouldn't cripple the team financially. Thats probably want his agent is doing though. Putting the Saints in a no win scenario.

Bad thing is fans have to support Loomis in what ever he does and trust he will make a smart choice. Because ever single QB this guy represent is gonna be having this same issue when they become FA`s

i agree bro.

Ryan is on the table next so what Loomis does here will have some effect on that

I think elite QB salaries have crept too high. I don't see 19-20 mil being the norm or they'll price the average fan right out of the stadiums. It gets passed on to the fans by team owners. My season tx have doubled in cost since 1991.

Brees has the richest NFL contract EVER on the table according to numerous sources. I trust he'll sign it.

But I will say this......

IF Brees doesn't sign a longterm deal, the gloves are off as you know Free Agency in future years. He does sit on the NFLPA committee, he's exposed to the deepest of thoughts regarding player positions and he's a very smart individual. I just hope he isn't a trendsetter in breaking the salary cap structure while setting the tone for future deals across the league.

And I do not think the offseason turmoil has a thing to do with what Brees is doing right now. This has been going on for 2 seasons now.

Finally, if he does sign, all will be forgiven as it always is in contract negotiations.

I think elite QB salaries have crept too high. I don't see 19-20 mil being the norm or they'll price the average fan right out of the stadiums. It gets passed on to the fans by team owners. My season tx have doubled in cost since 1991.

thats y NFL Network did a segment last night about how stadium attendance has gone down each year since 07. TV sales are up tremendously. A poll had it like 65% TV to stadium. Prices are getting out of hand. 8$ drinks and 10$ nachos lol

Brees means alot but 1 day the saints will move on without him. Thats a lot of cash to throw at 1 player. While yeah he should be 1 of the top paid if not the highest paid. He shouldn't cripple the team financially. Thats probably want his agent is doing though. Putting the Saints in a no win scenario.

there is some truth there

the only thing is that Brees has vehemently denied that he has ever requested that 23-24 million dollar salary that was reported.

the odds are that they have been negotiating the guaranteed money which is what that franchise tag decision would have the most effect on. at this point, I am willing to bet that they basically have an agreement on salary and they are very close on guaranteed money

problem is that at this point with the deadline so close, neither side has anything to lose by waiting and seeing if the other guy blinks first

Brees has the richest NFL contract EVER on the table according to numerous sources. I trust he'll sign it.

But I will say this......

IF Brees doesn't sign a longterm deal, the gloves are off as you know Free Agency in future years. He does sit on the NFLPA committee, he's exposed to the deepest of thoughts regarding player positions and he's a very smart individual. I just hope he isn't a trendsetter in breaking the salary cap structure while setting the tone for future deals across the league.

And I do not think the offseason turmoil has a thing to do with what Brees is doing right now. This has been going on for 2 seasons now.

Finally, if he does sign, all will be forgiven as it always is in contract negotiations.

Brees is gonna be the starting chip to break the structure. His contract will be the ground work for every future top rated QB (his agent represents all the biggest names in the NFL).

So do the match franchise tag 16 mill + brees goal 23 mill = 21 mill with 2 mill on bonus options, annually over 3 years guaranteed with years 4-5 probably paying 50% if cut.

Thats all made up of course. My point is to show that the franchise tag is 16 mill. Thats the highest value a QB should be worth by the top paid QB`s in the NFL.

Brees agent represents all the top rated people so if he exceeds the capp forcing the saints to pay 23. All future teams qb`s even on a non elite scale can expect to pay 16 mill annually just to sign a 2nd tier qb.

Then you factor in 1/5 of the capp is wrapped into 1 player. how that is structures could cripple a team if tha team has to go a different direction. If the Saints cut Brees and that money is locked. They will have to free a ton of cap room by cutting top players to make room just to get another QB because Brees drove the price up.

Once the price goes up on QB`s and as long as the NFL stays a passing league. That price will never get lower and will only cont to grow. Basically breaking the salary capp. Teams will spent that extra money the capp (might or might not go up) just to lock in a QB.

But Brees agent isnt dumb. Bountygate = $$$$$ money for Brees agent. His agent has Benson by the balls. When its said and done multi teams will be effected by it.

I say Brees is one of the best and deserves his big pay day even if it is 23 mill this season. But a lock iron glad contract that will cripple a team in the future is hard to get behind. Falcon fans know because Vick hurt us for years while we paid his but millions to sit in prison and all we had to show for it was a salary capp hit.

But like the Colts could walk away from Manning. Who i actually think is bigger than Brees. That didnt cripple the colts. But Brees has already altered the way teams can franchise tag people and how much that costs. His agent will make sure his contract has that same effect on teams.

When Ryan becomes a FA watch fans be going off about how much his agent wants. Its business though and like Brees Ryan is smart and will sign when he is told to. But his agent is screwing things up for fans if teams are locked into to players with no way out.

The real bad effect is players like flacco. Who didnt get paid to be the franchise QB and gets thrown into it. How you gonna justify flaccos first year pay vs a qb making 23 mill?

Its not Brees faut but the NFL and the PA should have capped FA`s spending per position and max out what 1 player can make not to allow stuff like this to possibly happen.

They have announced they have no plans to offer him a longterm...

I know...they are making him earn being resigned with his play. He's getting close to 30 and they want to see what level he's playing at first.

To be fair, the Saints aren't fighting it. Just one or two of their players...ph34r.png

I think the Saints draw more negativism not from the bountygate itself, but from all the chatter about it being so unfair, too harsh, everyone does it, prove it, etc, etc. Get my drift? If more fans would just let it die off instead of trying the case here on a forum, we'd all be better off. IMHO.

I think the Saints draw more negativism not from the bountygate itself, but from all the chatter about it being so unfair, too harsh, everyone does it, prove it, etc, etc. Get my drift? If more fans would just let it die off instead of trying the case here on a forum, we'd all be better off. IMHO.

1 I think there's more non-Saints fans interested in fairness and truth from the league than you care to believe with your bias.

2 Most of the discussion here has been just that, discussion. Not some trial, but more constant correction of those who are too lazy to apprise themselves of the facts before posting nonsense.