Dent Vs. Tatupu

RYNE

I am just kind of curious as to who you guys think will win this battle? The Middle Linebacker position on our team kind of concerns me. I am hoping that Dent is able to step up and take control of it.

I am wondering what some of you people who had the privilege of going to OTA's opinions on how they looked out there are. I have read a lot of stuff where columnists were saying Tatupu looked like he was carrying a refrigerator on his back out there? Any truth to that????? Just looking for some insight if anyone has any to offer. Obviously it will make a huge difference in determining who wins out once the pads come on though. Thoughts?

Better for the organization if Dent can win it since he is young and will get even better. If Tatupa wins he will be ok, but is older and not going to improve from where he already is.

That said I have no idea how Dent is doing and nobody will until they strap on the war bonnets and hit.

Better for the organization if Dent can win it since he is young and will get even better. If Tatupa wins he will be ok, but is older and not going to improve from where he already is.

That said I have no idea how Dent is doing and nobody will until they strap on the war bonnets and hit.

I don't think its necessarily better if Dent wins. Whoever wins will be the best player. I think it will be Dent, but you never know because Tatupu's experience could play a big factor.

I am just kind of curious as to who you guys think will win this battle? The Middle Linebacker position on our team kind of concerns me. I am hoping that Dent is able to step up and take control of it.

I am wondering what some of you people who had the privilege of going to OTA's opinions on how they looked out there are. I have read a lot of stuff where columnists were saying Tatupu looked like he was carrying a refrigerator on his back out there? Any truth to that????? Just looking for some insight if anyone has any to offer. Obviously it will make a huge difference in determining who wins out once the pads come on though. Thoughts?

Refrigerator comment was a couple seasons ago when he wasn't healthy. As far as I know he's completely healthy and looks good. Not sure if he's the same Pro Bowl player he was, but not sure why he can't be. If he is he will definitely win. He would of beat Lofton out if he was the same player. I like Dent and think he can be what Lofton was as far as a down hill thumper who's good in the run game. Nolan likes guys who are good in coverage like Karlos Dansby so I don't see Dent playing a lot.

Refrigerator comment was a couple seasons ago when he wasn't healthy. As far as I know he's completely healthy and looks good. Not sure if he's the same Pro Bowl player he was, but not sure why he can't be. If he is he will definitely win. He would of beat Lofton out if he was the same player. I like Dent and think he can be what Lofton was as far as a down hill thumper who's good in the run game. Nolan likes guys who are good in coverage like Karlos Dansby so I don't see Dent playing a lot.

YOu are right. After I reread that article it was saying when they last saw Tatupu play, which they were referring to a few years ago.

Guest Fibonacci

I thought Tatupu was going to win in the long run. But based on the mini camp, Dent was hands down the better guy on the field. but lets see how he is with the pads on.

Adkins was another guy to impress me.

Let me expand my comment about Dent would be better for the team.

It assumes that Dent wins the start if and only if he is in fact the better player. I always want the best guy right now to be the one on the field.

If Dent wins the start in only his 2d year, he should improve even more- much like Spoon was ok as a rookie but is even better now.

If Lofa wins, he is the best guy now, but would not improve with experience because he already has it.

NFL.com

If Lofa Tatupu plays with added vigor at training camp for the Atlanta Falcons , it makes sense. After all, it wasn't so long ago he believed his career was over.

Tatupu was a three-time Pro Bowl linebacker for the Seahawks, but when the team released him last year, the phone didn't ring. Tatupu stopped working out eventually, and began thinking about sending in his retirement papers to the NFL.

A phone call from the Atlanta Falcons changed all that. Tatupu signed a two-year, $3.6 million deal with the Falcons in March, and he'll have a legitimate shot at a starting middle linebacker role in training camp.

"I'm excited about the whole process and just being back playing ball again," Tatupu, 29, told The Boston Globe in Sunday's edition. "You've got to knock a little rust off, but for the most part it's second nature, especially as a middle linebacker. You're supposed to know what everybody is doing. You're supposed to be the field general. From that standpoint, I really wasn't taken aback by it. I just come in and do what I do."

The offseason departure of Curtis Lofton to the New Orleans Saints left a void in the Falcons' linebacker corps. If Tatupu can shake off the rust and perform at a level similar to his best years in Seattle, don't be surprised if he beats out Akeem Dent , the 2011 third-round pick who currently stands as his main competition.

Tatupu has extra incentive to win the position battle, too, as he could receive a $1.25 million bonus based on '12 playing time, a source with knowledge of Tatupu's deal told our Brian McIntyre on Sunday.

Tatupu's body is just as big a challenger as Dent. The end of his Seattle run was marked by a succession of injuries, including concussion issues, and he missed time in OTAs with a strained hamstring. Tatupu's comeback story won't have a happy ending if he can't stay on the field.

Edited by xSICKxWITHxITx