Lofa Tatupu

Lofa Tatupu - LB - Falcons

Falcons MLB Lofa Tatupu admits that injuries were not the reason he was out of football last season.

Following double knee surgery in January of 2011, Tatupu was released by Seattle just under a year ago. "It wasn’t anything to do with concussions or lingering injuries," Tatupu said. "I was ready to play last season. I got released...and I just didn’t catch on with anybody." Tatupu is competing with Akeem Dent for the starting MLB job in Atlanta.

Source: Boston Globe Jul 8 - 10:59 AM

They are a little late running this as a news story now, that is what he said in his interview when he signed with the Falcons. Hopefully the year off will help him stay fresh this year, and has helped with his motivation. It will be great to have him playing at a top level for another couple of years, along with Dent we will have 2 solid MLB's. Good luck to him this year.

How in the world did we left Curtis Lofton go to the Aints at 25 years old? I just don't understand it.

I did hate letting Curtis go I did like him. He was still young and was hoping he got better in coverage. The thing is its all about money and scheme. First off we have a younger cheaper version of Lofton in Dent (so we hope). The other thing is Nolan lines guys who can cover like Karlos Dansby. So if Lofton ain't covering he won't be out there as often. So would you have payed him all that money he wanted if he's not gonna be out there that much?

NFL.com

If Lofa Tatupu plays with added vigor at training camp for the Atlanta Falcons , it makes sense. After all, it wasn't so long ago he believed his career was over.

Tatupu was a three-time Pro Bowl linebacker for the Seahawks, but when the team released him last year, the phone didn't ring. Tatupu stopped working out eventually, and began thinking about sending in his retirement papers to the NFL.

A phone call from the Atlanta Falcons changed all that. Tatupu signed a two-year, $3.6 million deal with the Falcons in March, and he'll have a legitimate shot at a starting middle linebacker role in training camp.

"I'm excited about the whole process and just being back playing ball again," Tatupu, 29, told The Boston Globe in Sunday's edition. "You've got to knock a little rust off, but for the most part it's second nature, especially as a middle linebacker. You're supposed to know what everybody is doing. You're supposed to be the field general. From that standpoint, I really wasn't taken aback by it. I just come in and do what I do."

The offseason departure of Curtis Lofton to the New Orleans Saints left a void in the Falcons' linebacker corps. If Tatupu can shake off the rust and perform at a level similar to his best years in Seattle, don't be surprised if he beats out Akeem Dent , the 2011 third-round pick who currently stands as his main competition.

Tatupu has extra incentive to win the position battle, too, as he could receive a $1.25 million bonus based on '12 playing time, a source with knowledge of Tatupu's deal told our Brian McIntyre on Sunday.

Tatupu's body is just as big a challenger as Dent. The end of his Seattle run was marked by a succession of injuries, including concussion issues, and he missed time in OTAs with a strained hamstring. Tatupu's comeback story won't have a happy ending if he can't stay on the field.

I have no problem with Curtis leaving. Reports out of no say he came into camp 15 pounds lighter. Just shows that he wasn't doing his part to stay in shape and earn the front office's desire to keep him

And he still ran a 4.8...which is just good enough to cover a tackle eligible.

And he still ran a 4.8...which is just good enough to cover a tackle eligible.

Don't sleep on Lofton when we play the aints. Remember when everyone wanted to get rid of Chris Draft? He was average for the panties except when we played them he had career days, it seems like.

Yeah lets just let Curtis go and be done with it. He is old history now. I will wish him well till we play them.

We will do fine with Lofa and Akeem there in his old spot. I will be rooting for both these guys to bring their best game for us this season. This is one of my great passions about being a fan of the Falcons. I love following these stories where two guys are fighting for their lives in the NFL. You can't get much more drama and excitement than that.

Edited by FalconFanForLife

How in the world did we left Curtis Lofton go to the Aints at 25 years old? I just don't understand it.

At it again I see FFS...lol. Lofton is a Taint now, let it go man.

Gotta believe the FO knew what they were doing when they signed Lofa. Paid him too much to be a backup so I believe the guy is gonna do well for us