Defense--- The Real Skinny As Of Now

delaigle

Defense

The D-line

all 9 players from 2011 have returned Abe, Edwards, Bierman, Sidbury, Peters, Jerry. Babs, Matthews, Walker

Plus Massaquoi and Robertson were drafted

This means there is an overage of 2.

Then there are 2 UFDAs Nzegwu and Regis trying to make the team.

The LBs

4 of the 6 2011 LBs have returned Weatherspoon, Dent, Adkins, Nicholas

James* replaced Peterson at week 17 last season

Tatupu replaced Lofton

So the 6 LBs slots are filled

Then there are Hansen(injured) and 4 UDFAs Council, Gruder, Harris, Schiller trying to make the team.

*James may very well be vulnerable.

The DBs

8 of the 10 2011 DBs have returned Moore, Grimes, DeCoud, Schillinger, Franks, Owens, Walls. Robinson

Plus Mitchell was drafted

Samuel Replaced Hayden

Hope replaced Sanders

This means an overage of 1

Then Tuimauni returns and McClain was signed both trying to make the team

Plus there are 3 UDFAs Markett, Faulcon and Thompson trying to make the team

Please excuse me the title got a little over ambitious

Edited by delaigle

We had 10 DL last year. Powell wasn't resigned. Robertson takes his spot, so it's an overage of 1.

Powell was released from the active roster during week 13. He was then resigned to the PS for the remainder of 2011 and then not resigned this year.

JPW was moved from the PS to the active roster week 13 and Powell was released to make room for him.

Don't remember for sure but it may have been Minn trying to get JPW.

so it depends on weather they keep 9 or 10

But you are right they did start 2010and 2011 with 10 DL (08 and 09 they started with 9)

only in 2010 did they have 10 (active) at the end of the season.

Edited by delaigle

Powell was released from the active roster during week 13. He was then resigned to the PS for the remainder of 2011 and then not resigned this year.

JPW was moved from the PS to the active roster week 13 and Powell was released to make room for him.

Don't remember for sure but it may have been Minn trying to get JPW.

so it depends on weather they keep 9 or 10

But you are right they did start 2010and 2011 with 10 DL (08 and 09 they started with 9)

only in 2010 did they have 10 (active) at the end of the season.

I kinda see us starting the season with 10 like last year, 4 DTs and 6 DEs b/c of the confusion of DE vs LB. The other alternative I have considered is if they stick to 5 DEs in order to bring in a vet NT for the 3-4 like Franklin. At the moment, I just can't see Robertson or one of the UDFA DTs making the roster.

I kinda see us starting the season with 10 like last year, 4 DTs and 6 DEs b/c of the confusion of DE vs LB. The other alternative I have considered is if they stick to 5 DEs in order to bring in a vet NT for the 3-4 like Franklin. At the moment, I just can't see Robertson or one of the UDFA DTs making the roster.

I keep thinking that they may put both Matthews and Robertson on the PS

Matthews is elligible since he did not play in any games last year (a game day inactive all 16 games) and both were 7th round picks

That solves the numbers game

and barring injuries on other teams they should be fairly safe there.

Edited by delaigle

James needs to go IMO. He has been on our team for a few years now and I don't see him ever having a significant impact unless he is some ST demon that i am just not aware of.

Its still possible Jerry may be given the boot. I'm not saying I am for that move, but i am a huge supporter of T-Rob and i think he is going to be a monster this year.

I keep thinking that they may put both Matthews and Robertson on the PS

Matthews is elligible since he did not play in any games last year (a game day inactive all 16 games) and both were 7th round picks

That solves the numbers game

and barring injuries on other teams they should be fairly safe there.

I hope they both make the active roster. Walker got minute as 7th round pick so Robertson coming for the SEC should make a bigger impact. Matthews just wasn't given a opportunity to play. He was a beast in the preseason but he never got a chance to play in the regular season. The more passrushers the better. Imagine if we could keep bringing in fresh guys and leave Abraham fresh for the post season. Both of these guys need to be on the team someway.

Depending on the kind of formations Mike Nolan wants to run, guys like Sid and Massaquoi could fill in roster spots listed as DE/OLB, easing the glut at DE and filling gaps at LB.

I would not be surprised to see something like this happen -- I was just working from the Falcon norm.

James needs to go IMO. He has been on our team for a few years now and I don't see him ever having a significant impact unless he is some ST demon that i am just not aware of.

Its still possible Jerry may be given the boot. I'm not saying I am for that move, but i am a huge supporter of T-Rob and i think he is going to be a monster this year.

I agree that James might be done. I like Harris to take that spot, especially with Hansen getting injured.

Of course, we still might wind up bringing Peterson back depending on how he heals from his injury.