Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

j.lane lineman

Drew---Hot Air---Brees Says

drew has made the statment that he would not play under the tag this year if a long term contract could not be reached. do you think he is on the up and up, or just full of hot air.

drew has made the statment that he would not play under the tag this year if a long term contract could not be reached. do you think he is on the up and up, or just full of hot air.

Well he'll definitely play now that he won the ruling that says they have to pay him 23+ million if they tag him in 2013.

He will definitely show up.

i maybe wrong but i thought you could not tag a player two years in a row ?

Sure you can. But if the Saints tag him next year, they have to give him a 40% raise. This was a big news story, I guess people missed it.

He'll show without a doubt.

The big argument was if this counted as Brees 1st or 2nd tag because of it being different teams. But it was ruled being different teams didn't matter. So this counts as Brees 2nd tag which then takes into account what Peyton said.

Sure you can. But if the Saints tag him next year, they have to give him a 40% raise. This was a big news story, I guess people missed it.

He'll show without a doubt.

Maybe. Maybe not. If he suffers another shoulder injury this season then he's not guaranteed to be tagged next season.

I'm sure he knows this. That ruling just gave him more leverage in negotiations. I don't think he'll play without a long-term contract. He's approaching his last big pay day and he wants to cash out. He's not going to risk it just for a chance to play for 1 season with a guaranteed salary of what he is looking to receive yearly in a multi-year contract.

When did he make that statement? He would lose out on a ton of money and irritate his blind followers.

When did he make that statement? He would lose out on a ton of money and irritate his blind followers.

He's said it several times. He won't lose out on any money. He has enough to suffice. I'm sure the Saints will cave in an give him the contract he wants after they go 1-5 at the start of the season.

He's said it several times. He won't lose out on any money. He has enough to suffice. I'm sure the Saints will cave in an give him the contract he wants after they go 1-5 at the start of the season.

Drew Brees will make 1 million dollars per game under the tag. I can't see him not showing up, especially when he would lose his automatic right to a 40% raise next year.

But he can't get that contract if it doesn't come before July 16th. After July 16th the only contract Brees can play under this season is the franchise tag. And like Peyton said. No way he sits out the season because then he loses the chance at a 40% raise to about $23M in 2013 if he gets tagged again.

I don't think you guys realize that Drew Brees does not need the money. He's got plenty, he wants more. He can sit out for a year and get the contract deal that he wants from another team and I think he's fully prepared to do it. He's not just playing hardball for nothing. I'm fully convinced he's ready to sit out.

I don't think you guys realize that Drew Brees does not need the money. He's got plenty, he wants more. He can sit out for a year and get the contract deal that he wants from another team and I think he's fully prepared to do it. He's not just playing hardball for nothing. I'm fully convinced he's ready to sit out.

Sitting out the year does Drew Brees no good because the Saints can just franchise him again and he's in the same position again.

If he were to sit out the year, the Saints would just tag him again, and he would have sat out a year for absolutely nothing.

If Drew Brees has so much money, why is it so important to him to break the bank? That's what I can't figure out.

Is it just a stone cold ego thing?

If Drew Brees has so much money, why is it so important to him to break the bank? That's what I can't figure out.

Is it just a stone cold ego thing?

The Saints very well could tag Drew Brees again, but let's be real. If he did sit out this year and then they did decide to tag him again it would be to trade him to another team.

And the reason I'm bringing up Brees's money is because he's not in the same situation that some other players are in. He doesn't have to play. He is already set for life. Some players look at that franchise tag (Brent Grimes, DeSean Jackson, etc.) and realize that they can't afford to pass up on that paycheck. It's not the same for Brees.

He obviously wants his last contract to be his final payoff before he retires. I'd be willing to bet he'd much rather sit out a year and work out a deal with another team to get that contract, before he risks injuring his shoulder again like he did in 2005 when he played on the tag for the Chargers, which almost caused him to retire early.

The Saints very well could tag Drew Brees again, but let's be real. If he did sit out this year and then they did decide to tag him again it would be to trade him to another team.

And the reason I'm bringing up Brees's money is because he's not in the same situation that some other players are in. He doesn't have to play. He is already set for life. Some players look at that franchise tag (Brent Grimes, DeSean Jackson, etc.) and realize that they can't afford to pass up on that paycheck. It's not the same for Brees.

He obviously wants his last contract to be his final payoff before he retires. I'd be willing to bet he'd much rather sit out a year and work out a deal with another team to get that contract, before he risks injuring his shoulder again like he did in 2005 when he played on the tag for the Chargers, which almost caused him to retire early.

If Drew Brees refuses to play for 1 million dollars a game, he will become the bad guy. And he will gain nothing from it at all. The Saints will tag him again just to spite him.

If Drew Brees refuses to play for 1 million dollars a game, he will become the bad guy. And he will gain nothing from it at all. The Saints will tag him again just to spite him.

And his cult following will turn against him.

And his cult following will turn against him.

I doubt it. Everything I have read to date the entirety of the NOLA fan base is on his side. They will call for blood from the FO for not giving him the money.