Former Giants Wr Amani Toomer Says Tony Romo Is A Better Quarterback Than Eli Manning. Agree?

Rave

Debate...

Ill start if you look at the stats this is a no brainer. Eli was bailed out by two great catches in both Super Bowls and two great defenses to get to both. Give Romo Eli's Oline and defense and see what happens.

Edited by Rave

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you call winning two superbowls "luck".

Yeah, his Oline and defense had nothing to do with that either.

The catch by Tyree was pure skill also....rolleyes.gif

In his first Super Bowl he had a completion percentage of 55.9 and a QB rating of 87.3, hardly Elite...he was much better in his second Super Bowl, but everyone knew that NE was weak in the secondary this year.

The Giants defense held the Patriots to just 274 total yards and just 45 rushing yards in the first Super Bowl. The Giants also sacked Brady 5 times for a loss of 37 yards compared to Eli only being sacked 3 times for a loss of 8 yards. The Giants fumbled twice, recovering both, but the Patriots lost its lone fumble (this is where the luck comes in and of course the Tyree catch). Eli threw the only INT of that Super Bowl.

In the second Super Bowl things were a lot closer and Eli tore apart a secondary that everyone knew was in need of a lot of help (hence the drafting of Alfonzo Dennard and signing of Will Allen). The Patriots actually out sacked the Giants in this Super Bowl 3 to 2. Also, the Giants running game was a lot better also. In the first Super Bowl the Giants only mustered 87 rushing yards on the Patriots, in the second they were able to put up 114 yards.The Giants also had the ball 15 minutes longer than the Patriots.

All in all, the GIANTS are an Elite TEAM....I wouldnt go as far as saying the same about their QB.

Edited by Rave

Yeah, his Oline and defense had nothing to do with that either.

The catch by Tyree was pure skill also....rolleyes.gif

In his first Super Bowl he had a completion percentage of 55.9 and a QB rating of 87.3, hardly Elite...he was much better in his second Super Bowl, but everyone knew that NE was weak in the secondary this year.

The Giants defense held the Patriots to just 274 total yards and just 45 rushing yards in the first Super Bowl. The Giants also sacked Brady 5 times for a loss of 37 yards compared to Eli only being sacked 3 times for a loss of 8 yards. The Giants fumbled twice, recovering both, but the Patriots lost its lone fumble (this is where the luck comes in and of course the Tyree catch). Eli threw the only INT of that Super Bowl.

In the second Super Bowl things were a lot closer and Eli tore apart a secondary that everyone knew was in need of a lot of help (hence the drafting of Alfonzo Dennard and signing of Will Allen). The Patriots actually out sacked the Giants in this Super Bowl 3 to 2. Also, the Giants running game was a lot better also. In the first Super Bowl the Giants only mustered 87 rushing yards on the Patriots, in the second they were able to put up 114 yards.The Giants also had the ball 15 minutes longer than the Patriots.

All in all, the GIANTS are an Elite TEAM....I wouldnt go as far as saying the same about their QB.

Elite teams usually win superbowls, are you trying to tell me Packers weren't elite when they won the superbowl, did Roethlisberger not have an elite defense when he won?

Enough of the Eli hate, the fact is that he has two rings. And he's been there, Romo has not.

Debate...

Ill start if you look at the stats this is a no brainer. Eli was bailed out by two great catches in both Super Bowls and two great defenses to get to both. Give Romo Eli's Oline and defense and see what happens.

"It's not a toomer"

You've got to stop on this Tyree-lucky throw routine. Eli did a great job keeping the play alive and unleashed a perfect throw. To diminish what one QB did in winning 2 Super Bowls by saying another guy with 1 playoff win could do just as well is pretty silly.

Elite teams usually win superbowls

Exactly.

Enough of the Eli hate, the fact is that he has two rings. And he's been there, Romo has not.

Are you trying to say that Romo couldnt get to a Super Bowl on the Giants? Seriously. huh.png

Edited by Rave

"It's not a toomer"

You've got to stop on this Tyree-lucky throw routine. Eli did a great job keeping the play alive and unleashed a perfect throw. To diminish what one QB did in winning 2 Super Bowls by saying another guy with 1 playoff win could do just as well is pretty silly.

Yeah, I could see how catching a ball on your helmet when you couldnt see it (because of said helmet) and falling to the ground with it still in your possession is completely skill and thats exactly what Eli intended for him to do when he threw it...their defense didnt stuff the Patriots...their defense didnt cause 3 turnovers...their defense didnt knock Brady around the entire game...it was all Eli...rolleyes.gif

Yeah, I could see how catching a ball on your helmet when you couldnt see it (because of said helmet) and falling to the ground with it still in your possession is completely skill and thats exactly what Eli intended for him to do when he threw it...their defense didnt stuff the Patriots...their defense didnt cause 3 turnovers...their defense didnt knock Brady around the entire game...it was all Eli...rolleyes.gif

And lets not forget Assante dropped a game ending pic on that same drive. Don't get me wrong Eli is a very good QB, but I just don't think he's better than Romo.

And lets not forget Assante dropped a game ending pic on that same drive. Don't get me wrong Eli is a very good QB, but I just don't think he's better than Romo.

Im not downing Eli, but the Giants as a team are great. I just think too many people give Eli credit he doesnt deserve. There is no argument that will convince me that the Giants defense didnt win Super Bowl XLII.

In the last 6 meeting between the Cowboys and Giants the Cowboys (with Ware) have only sacked Eli 4 times. What QB couldnt win championships behind that sort of protection? Anyone...Anyone...thought not...

Eli 2 rings...Romo ZERO.

Eli has to play 8 games in Giants Stadium.....Romo plays in a palace.

Eli some how gets it done in the big game.....Romo drops the snap on the kick.

Romo messed up in 2006...since hes one of the most clutch QBs in the NFL.

Romo didnt build his stadium Jerry Jones did.

Tell me this...who has a better Oline Dallas or NY...who has the better defense Dallas or NY...you dont think that figures into Eli's success...?

He's better the same way Karl Malone is better than Tim Duncan. Personally I don't think Karl Malone has $hit on Tim Duncan, but a lot of people do.

I guess Dilfer having a ring means hes better than Romo also...rolleyes.gif

Im not downing Eli, but the Giants as a team are great. I just think too many people give Eli credit he doesnt deserve. There is no argument that will convince me that the Giants defense didnt win Super Bowl XLII.

In the last 6 meeting between the Cowboys and Giants the Cowboys (with Ware) have only sacked Eli 4 times. What QB couldnt win championships behind that sort of protection? Anyone...Anyone...thought not...

Key Stat: Manning faced pressure last season on 313 drop-backs, including playoffs.

What makes Manning’s season so special is that he did it in the face of more pressure than any other quarterback in football. In the regular season, the Giants’ offensive line allowed 15 more total pressures than any other unit in the NFL, and if you throw in the playoffs that number rockets up to 91. Eli had one of the best seasons in the league despite dealing with the single worst pass-blocking unit there was last year.

In David Diehl he had a sub-par guard playing with an injured hand protecting his blind side at left tackle for much of the year, and things didn’t get much better across the line, with even veteran stalwarts like Kareem McKenzie suddenly becoming a turnstile for pressure. To do what Manning was able to do under that kind of pressure is incredible, and to then become more accomplished as the season wore on to crunch time was even more so. Eli caught fire at the tail end of the season and rode that hot streak to a Super Bowl victory with very little help from his blocking, and that is why he is so high up our list in spite of some lesser play earlier in the year.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/05/03/no-8-eli-manning-qb-new-york-giants/

What does Tyree's clumsy catch have to do with a great throw? It's nice to stick up for your QB, but let's face facts. I don't call Eli dominant, but he's two tiers better than Romo in QB rankings.

What does Tyree's clumsy catch have to do with a great throw? It's nice to stick up for your QB, but let's face facts. I don't call Eli dominant, but he's two tiers better than Romo in QB rankings.

2 tiers above Romo, just because he has a better team? Wow...youre easy to impress...

In a vacuum, all things being equal, and all other qualifiers of that sort, yes, Romo is a better player than Eli. However there is something to be said for players that have a knack for getting it done in the big moments. Whether you call it "clutch" or "luck", sometimes it is indeed better to be lucky than good. Eli's 2 rings to Romo's 0 proves that. I'd take 2 lucky rings over zero good rings, I'm sure Romo would as well.

I guess Dilfer having a ring means hes better than Romo also...rolleyes.gif

Never said that, what I am saying is, if they're essentially on the same tier as far as stats go, one being maybe a tiny bit better, but the other guy has multiple titles, you can make an argument for the first guy if you want and you wouldn't be wrong in the sense that it's a subjective question and everyone has the right to an opinion, but the other guy is the one that actually achieved the goal of the sport, and you're bumping him down for not shining quite as bright as the other guy on a stat sheet.

Never said that, what I am saying is, if they're essentially on the same tier as far as stats go, one being maybe a tiny bit better, but the other guy has multiple titles, you can make an argument for the first guy if you want and you wouldn't be wrong in the sense that it's a subjective question and everyone has the right to an opinion, but the other guy is the one that actually achieved the goal of the sport, and you're bumping him down for not shining quite as bright as the other guy on a stat sheet.

Unless you are blind you would know that the Giants as a team are better. Ive already proven that the Giant's defense out did Eli in their first Super Bowl match up. Saying that Eli is better because he has a ring is like saying that Dilfer is better because he got a ring. Eli is not the QB Romo is, Eli is just on a better team than Romo is. If you cant see that then you may want to borrow some glasses.

Edited by Rave

Unless you are blind you would know that the Giants as a team are better. Ive already proven that the Giant's defense out did Eli in their first Super Bowl match up. Saying that Eli is better because he has a ring is like saying that Dilfer is better because he got a ring. Eli is not the QB Romo is, Eli is just on a better team than Romo is. If you cant see that then you may want to borrow some glasses.

The only thing you've proven is that Cowboy fans are just as willing to b!tch and scapegoat old parts as any other fanbase and only half as likely to be able to see themselves do it.