Falcons Remain Overlooked, Despite Recent Success

Trouble

Covering everything from is Jones the next #1 WR, why the falcons are so ignored, playoff mishaps, Ryans contract, Koetter vs MM system, Is Turner really getting his load cut and can the falcons win the South this season?

Basically they cover a lot of topics.

The Atlanta Falcons have put together four straight winning seasons. And yet they rarely are mentioned among the elite teams in the NFL.

They’ve got one of the best young quarterbacks in the game (although with four seasons under his belt he’s not exactly “young” anymore), great receivers, a Hall of Fame tight end, a workhorse running back with tread left on the tires, and an improving defense.

So why don’t they get more attention?

D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution joined PFT Live on Tuesday to address that question and various others, including the one in the box below.

PFT Video

http://video.nbcspor...sports/48062350

I can definitely understand why. Being a long time Falcon fan, I am not fazed by the lack of love the media gives us. In fact I have become used to it. I think it is warranted alot of times. Most of the elite teams in the league now have hoisted a Lombardi at some point. We haven't.

I was just talking to a few Steelers fans at work and told them that we have had 4 straight winning seasons and they laughed at me. Saying I guess that is a good thing, but you guys still haven't won a playoff game in that time. All this becasue I said that I think it is time for them to head to the basement of that division soon, they are getting old. Most elite teams or fans don't see 4 straight winning seasons and no playoff success as a good thing. It shows you how bad this franchise has actually been over the years.

I will admit that we have begin to change our losing culture and it does feel a little better. Now we just have to go out and prove the naysayers wrong and take a couple or super bowls or more. It's not gonna be easy, but it can be done. If someone had told me in 1993 that the lowly patriots would have multiple super bowl trophies and be one of the top teams in the NFL for a long time I would have laughed out loud. They in my opinion were just as bad as us over the years. Respect is earned, not given. What have we actually done that warrants any praise?

Seriously I wouldn't consider Ryan "Young" anymore (what I think the writer was eluding to). Time to step it up and be among the great veterans in the league.

He's still 'Young' Ryan in every sense of the word.

Edited by Mr. Right

I can definitely understand why. Being a long time Falcon fan, I am not fazed by the lack of love the media gives us. In fact I have become used to it. I think it is warranted alot of times. Most of the elite teams in the league now have hoisted a Lombardi at some point. We haven't.

I was just talking to a few Steelers fans at work and told them that we have had 4 straight winning seasons and they laughed at me. Saying I guess that is a good thing, but you guys still haven't won a playoff game in that time. All this becasue I said that I think it is time for them to head to the basement of that division soon, they are getting old. Most elite teams or fans don't see 4 straight winning seasons and no playoff success as a good thing. It shows you how bad this franchise has actually been over the years.

I will admit that we have begin to change our losing culture and it does fell a little better. Now we just have to go out and prove the naysayers wrong and take a couple or super bowls or more. It's not gonna be easy, but it can be done. If someone had told me in 1993 that the lowly patriots would have multiple super bowl trophies and be one of the top teams in the NFL for a long time I would have laughed out loud. They in my opinion were just as bad as us over the years. Respect is earned, not given. What have we actually done that warrants any praise?

+100088164342-thumb-up-.gif

The OLINE mention in the video was well deserved though. I also agree we wont see a huge change from MM and Koetter. A tweaked system, yes. But not a major change.

Watch Turners snap count be 17 carries a game. Basically what he got when we won.

Seriously I wouldn't consider Ryan "Young" anymore (what I think the writer was eluding to). Time to step it up and be among the great veterans in the league.

from an age standpoint he isn't, but from an experience standpoint he still is IMO. he's in year 5 at a position where guys usually play 12-15 years.

didn't TG say he's retiring after this season? i'd love it if he came back for another year or two.

I agree

I hope that the Falcons can win him a ring very soon because it would be a travesty for the best player in the history of his position to leave this game without a ring and really no success in the postseason throughout his career.

Edited by DawnOfThemBirds

The Falcons' aren't overlooked. They're looked at just like the media looks at the Hawks. An average team that goes to the playoffs and lose. That's not a negative remark towards the team. I'm a fan of both but at the end of the day, they have to do better in order to gain that respect. I know if the Saints go to the playoffs and only score 2 points, i'm going to lmao if someone say they're Super Bowl contenders.

The Falcons' aren't overlooked. They're looked at just like the media looks at the Hawks. An average team that goes to the playoffs and lose. That's not a negative remark towards the team. I'm a fan of both but at the end of the day, they have to do better in order to gain that respect. I know if the Saints go to the playoffs and only score 2 points, i'm going to lmao if someone say they're Super Bowl contenders.

Yeah...this. But I tend to view us more in terms of the Chargers of the east coast...Several years of struggle, combined with a scattering of a few marquee names and even fewer memorable seasons. One magical season where you make it to the biggest stage in the game, but still come up short. Most teams would prefer not to have to play you because you have talent and "on any given Sunday"...but they really do not fear you...

All that said...it's time for us to step up and win this thing! That will eliminate all of the talk...for at least one season!