Further Reason To Believe That Ryan Is A Gunslinger At Heart

Anyone remember in 2008 when Ryan used what I believe to be the most genius playaction of all time? It was when he did a fake toss and actually tossed the ball up and pulled it back down himself to let the defense see it. He hasn't done it since and I believe that to be because it was coached out of him. I understand the desire to coach that out of him because it's very risky, but I think it goes to further show that Ryan is more like someone like Brett Favre than people think.

He throws a the ball into lot of tight windows. Another from 2008 was the touchdown to Roddy versus the Eagles where he threaded the needle between Samuel and the safety. I really hope this was Mularkey's doing and not Mike Smiths because I'd like to see Koetter let him get back to being that QB.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone remember in 2008 when Ryan used what I believe to be the most genius playaction of all time? It was when he did a fake toss and actually tossed the ball up and pulled it back down himself to let the defense see it. He hasn't done it since and I believe that to be because it was coached out of him. I understand the desire to coach that out of him because it's very risky, but I think it goes to further show that Ryan is more like someone like Brett Favre than people think.

He throws a the ball into lot of tight windows. Another from 2008 was the touchdown to Roddy versus the Eagles where he threaded the needle between Samuel and the safety. I really hope this was Mularkey's doing and not Mike Smiths because I'd like to see Koetter let him get back to being that QB.

It was MMs coaching it's always been his scheme to run the ball and play it safe. Before he got here and after.

The coaches irreparably damaged him, taking him from mediocre to morose.

It's sad, I'll be the first to admit it.

But he's been well compensated, to the tune of $72 million for this grievous injury to his psyche.

Thus, we cannot feel too much sorrow in cutting him loose.

LOL.....yeah in 10 more years

Guest Dirty Bird Nation ®

Do you have the link to the video?

Great Post!

I belive Matt Ryan has it in him as well but between Mike Smith and Mike Mularkey and think they messed him up a little. If I was Matt Ryan and Mike Smith even started telling me how to play I'd tell him to go sit his chicken and biscuit butt down and let me ride

Yes, it was coached out of him to crumble under pressure, under throw deep balls, fumble snaps in critical situations, choke during big games that matter.

That's what coaches do, they practice those habits until its instinctive.

Mike smith has one of the best "play scared in the pocket" drill in the league.

But he's been well compensated, to the tune of $72 million for this grievous injury to his psyche.

The coaches have changed him a little, but its not irreparable. The thing is, you want a QB to be smart as well, and not turn it over, and Ryan has that in spades.

If he was 100% the same as at BC, he would take more chances and turn it over more, then people here would be saying he was just like Cutler.

I prefer my QBs craftiness to come presnap no huddle changing the play at the line. Ryan is one of the best in the biz in that regard.

I think this is actually a good pt I think matt had a lot of gunslinger in him during his BC days and his rookie yr. I think that was coached out of him plus it was coached out of the ENTIRE TEAM.. before I say all this I love smith and think he is a good head coach and I understand why it went down the way it did bc of the yr before it, coming off a huge escapade and scandal but...

1. on offense it was coached out of them. run the clock, move the chains, play ball control, and sit on a lead.

2. On defense it was let them get 500 yds a game just limit the touchdowns and make them kick field goals. this is the the one that killed me bc a lot of posters thought this was a great kind of defense lol.

3. even On special teams hey weems even though ya a darn good returner fair catch it 9 out of 10 times or let it bounce over ya head.

Edited by jdawg4876

Guest Dirty Bird Nation ®

That fake toss was to Jerious Norwood....it was sick. And that TD thru the Eagles is on highlight vids of Matt and Roddy

Do you have the link to the video? Was it against the Eagles?

Always the first to respond to these threads....

Talk about mediocre, why don't you get some new material....too predictable.

Matt Ryan's career is paralleling the Disney story, Cinderella. Matt (as the title character) is being kept from his full potential by three evil step-sisters, Mularkey, Bratkowski and Smith. Now along comes the fairy godfather, Dirk Koetter, with his magic wand (vertical passing game) to rectify the injustice.

you can try and spin it anyway yo uwant but fact remains and so does the tape go watcha couple of BC games or his rookie yr and if you dont see a guy who is willing to go down fighting than I will eat my hat. rather that means he wil be a better qb if he had remaind a gunslinger remains to be seen

Edited by jdawg4876

Matt Ryan's career is paralleling the Disney story, Cinderella. Matt (as the title character) is being kept from his full potential by three evil step-sisters, Mularkey, Bratkowski and Smith. Now along comes the fairy godfather, Dirk Koetter, with his magic wand (vertical passing game) to rectify the injustice.

Lol that's kind of funny. Must be a good story though cause we will all be watching this year.

you can try and spin it anyway yo uwant but fact remains and so does the tape go watcha couple of BC games or his rookie yr and if you dont see a guy who is willing to go down fighting than I will eat my hat. rather that means he wil be a better qb if he had it remains to be seen

Before the playoff game against the Giants Mathias Kiwinuka told his teammates that Ryan has more confidence than most and will try to put the ball in places most wouldn't try. They were teammates at 1 time in BC.

you can try and spin it anyway yo uwant but fact remains and so does the tape go watcha couple of BC games or his rookie yr and if you dont see a guy who is willing to go down fighting than I will eat my hat. rather that means he wil be a better qb if he had remaind a gunslinger remains to be seen

"Going down fighting" is a nice quality, but it still equates to losing. Maybe "going down punting" or "going down on feeble QB sneaks" would be more apropos. I want to see this gunslinger, believe me. I'm sick of what 2011 offered.

Daffy+Duck+Wallpaper_1.jpg

laugh.png

The video also showed that he can stand tall in the pocket and deliver while taking a big hit, that he CAN avoid rushers, that he can make plays downfield on the run. It is a such thing as coaches coaching tendencies out of players. Lord knows Holmgren tried to coach it out of Favre. How many sound bytes did we hear "no no no no...yeaaaaaaa!!!" from Holmgren? Thing is Matt has to say **** that I'm going out here and play the way I know I can play and Smith has to be ok with a turnover or two. Especially if Nolan can get the D to get off the field on 3rd or create more turnovers giving the off more opportunities.

The play was against the Buccaneers at the Dome. It was a 4th down play too. It was a fake toss to Norwood, fake handoff to Turner and then a pass to Norwood down the left side line. I'm sure FFS70 will post the video of it.

And I've said this before and I'll say it again. In 2008 the Falcons had nothing to lose. There was no expectations for success. Everyone was down on the Falcons. There was no pressure. Absolutely nothing to lose and they played like it. They took chances that they haven't taken in the years since they've had expectations. They got more conservative in the years that followed 2008 because they didn't want to embarrass themselves but it's actually caused them to embarrass themselves with the conservative game plans.