Broaddus: Breaking Down The Saints

Rave

Week 16, this match up against the Saints at home very well could be for a playoff spot and with Drew Brees coming to town, Rob Ryan is going to need his defense playing at it's very best. One of the best games I had seen the Cowboys defense play in the last several years was in 2009 against the Saints. At that time, Wade Phillips was able to put pressure on Brees from all angles and confuse him with some different looks which is difficult to do. His nickel and dime packages were outstanding but more importantly, he was able to get consistent pressure on Brees. Where Brees can hurt you the most is his ability to sit in the pocket and read routes developing. The Saints have had some turnover on the offensive line but maybe more importantly, Sean Payton will not be calling the plays and this is the one advantage that the Cowboys could clearly use.

If its for a playoff spot then cowboys are dead. Saints have the SB in town and wont be denied after this offseason. Cowboys better hope its not for a playoff spot of a division title.

Oh you mean like when their undefeated streak was on the line in 09 and Dallas has to play them in NO...yeah, that turned out in their favor too...Ware wasnt even 100% and got to Brees 3 times.

That game in 09 was a deserved Cowboy victory, but let's not act like the Saints were out of it. In the Brees era Saints are what 2-1 against the Boys and at the end of this season I see 3-1.

No Payton, No Vilma, Ill take my chances...

Better chance with no Payton, Vilma, I don't think would have been a factor even if he did play.

Those are the only significant losses that I see. Thats why I listed them. I think NO and Dallas match up very well. To say either one is an overwhelming favorite is just homerism on one side or the other, IMHO.

The best thing the boys have is its a home game. If the Saints are in the hunt for the playoffs. Their fans will be rabbid near the end of the season. If they are making a run at the playoffs without Payton, then the cowboys shouldn't think them not having him is a benefit.

"Cut the head off and the body dies" if the body is still kicking with no head and doing just as good. Be scared.

The best thing the boys have is its a home game. If the Saints are in the hunt for the playoffs. Their fans will be rabbid near the end of the season. If they are making a run at the playoffs without Payton, then the cowboys shouldn't think them not having him is a benefit.

"Cut the head off and the body dies" if the body is still kicking with no head and doing just as good. Be scared.

I wouldnt be "scared". Im sure Garrett respects the Saints with or without Payton and will prepare the team as if he were there.

I wouldnt be "scared". Im sure Garrett respects the Saints with or without Payton and will prepare the team as if he were there.

If the Saints get broke down early in the season without Vitt. Then the end of the season will likely be winnable. But the saints are a emotional team and the faced the Katrina adversity and Brees likely will step on as the highest paid player in the NFL. The falcons got the Saints twice late in the season 2 weeks apart.

Its likely the Saints could either be out the playoffs or in a very good spot to lock a spot before that game. I think the Saints first few weeks before Vitt gets there will determine the saints season though.