Chipper Jones Tribute

nobkowski

Chip gets his own thread with something disparaging as a divorce, so I thought that after a game like last night, he deserved a thread devoted to uplift the future HOF braves

3rd baseman.

WOW !!! forty years old and has a game like last night reminds me of Ty Cobb.

On top of that, sometime this year Chip will become the ALL-TIME leader in rbi's for 3rd basemen. What makes this even more remarkable, is that he will have accomplished this feat as a switch-hitter.

Way to go Chipper Jones you are up there with the likes of Warren Span and Hank Aaron.

post-181378-0-90838900-1341420176_thumb.

Chipper's numbers are impressive when compared to other 3rd basemen and swich hitters in the Hall of Fame. He is leading all HOF 3rd basmen in slugging% and runs and either is within a few RbIs or just broke it for leading in RBIs. I compared Chipper's numbers (Avg, slugging %, On-base %, hits,runs, RBI and Hrs) to other HOF 3rd basemen and again with other HOF Switch hitters. I averged ranking in each category and Chipper rated overall #1 as both 3rd basemen and Switch hitter. i though he may finish top 3 in both but he is even better than i thought. Shows his consistency over the years. Just think what he would have had without injuries. All those guys lying about taking steroids to heal quicker...if anyone could have used that then chipper could have...but didn't. 1st balllot Hall of famer! Thank you Larry Wayne!

i think Atlanta should do a better job highlighting the records Chipper owns or is breaking. He is some elite company. Everytime Jetter passes someone it makes ESPN. Chipper just passed Ted Williams for hits...Ted Williams-hits!.. and the Braves themselves didn't even highlight it. Or did they and I missed it.

Edited by AEFalcon

Chipper's numbers are impressive when compared to other 3rd basemen and swich hitters in the Hall of Fame. He is leading all HOF 3rd basmen in slugging% and runs and either is within a few RbIs or just broke it for leading in RBIs. I compared Chipper's numbers (Avg, slugging %, On-base %, hits,runs, RBI and Hrs) to other HOF 3rd basemen and again with other HOF Switch hitters. I averged ranking in each category and Chipper rated overall #1 as both 3rd basemen and Switch hitter. i though he may finish top 3 in both but he is even better than i thought. Shows his consistency over the years. Just think what he would have had without injuries. All those guys lying about taking steroids to heal quicker...if anyone could have used that then chipper could have...but didn't. 1st balllot Hall of famer! Thank you Larry Alvin!

i think Atlanta should do a better job highlighting the records Chipper owns or is breaking. He is some elite company. Everytime Jetter passes someone it makes ESPN. Chipper just passed Ted Williams for hits...Ted Williams-hits!.. and the Braves themselves didn't even highlight it. Or did they and I missed it.

The Braves have been mentioning that stuff. Chipper passed the guy like last to get into 7th place on the all-time hits list for switch-hitters. ESPN has totally ignored anything Chipper has done.

The Braves have been mentioning that stuff. Chipper passed the guy like last to get into 7th place on the all-time hits list for switch-hitters. ESPN has totally ignored anything Chipper has done.

Well I'm glad at least the Braves are mentioning it. I'm stationed overseas and miss some/most telecast. I wish the official Braves website would put a more prevelant tracker on Chipper's milestones. Who knows if/how long it will be before we see another Brave chase this type of history. For instance, just in the last game Chipper past Nellie Fox in hits and Andre Dawson in Rbis. His next couple of rbi's will have him passing Mike Schmidt and George Brett--both HOF 3rd basemen.

• 2 weeks later...

That's for #2 spot. He's 1 behind George Brett for #1.

Actually, Chipper, Schmidt and Brett are all tied at #1 with 1.595 RbIs according to MLB.com stats which is the site I was following. I mentioned Schmidt because I heard Chip only mention Schmidt as" primarly 3rd baseman" when Chipper hit 1,595,. I would consider Brett primarily 3rd baseman i shouldn't have eflt him off. But either way Chipper is tied for #1 for 3rd basemen.

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable.jsp#sectionType=sp&playerType=ALL&statType=hitting&page_type=SortablePlayer&season=&season_type=ALL&sportCode='mlb'&league_code='MLB'&split=&team_id=&active_sw=&game_type='R'&position='5'&sortOrder='desc'&sortColumn=rbi&results=&page=1&perPage=50&timeframe=&extended=0&last_x_days=&ts=1342389230973&tab_level=child&click_text=Sortable+Player+hitting&elem=%5Bobject+Object%5D

Actually, Chipper, Schmidt and Brett are all tied at #1 with 1.595 RbIs according to MLB.com stats which is the site I was following. I mentioned Schmidt because I heard Chip only mention Schmidt as" primarly 3rd baseman" when Chipper hit 1,595,. I would consider Brett primarily 3rd baseman i shouldn't have eflt him off. But either way Chipper is tied for #1 for 3rd basemen.

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable.jsp#sectionType=sp&playerType=ALL&statType=hitting&page_type=SortablePlayer&season=&season_type=ALL&sportCode='mlb'&league_code='MLB'&split=&team_id=&active_sw=&game_type='R'&position='5'&sortOrder='desc'&sortColumn=rbi&results=&page=1&perPage=50&timeframe=&extended=0&last_x_days=&ts=1342389230973&tab_level=child&click_text=Sortable+Player+hitting&elem=%5Bobject+Object%5D

All I know is what they've been saying on tv and the radio during the games.

But after looking at it I don't know where they are getting Brett had 1,596 RBI's when he only had 1,595.

EDIT: According to MLB.com Brett had 1,595 RBIs but according to baseball-reference Brett had 1,596 RBIs. The difference being according to MLB.com Brett had only 89 RBIs in 1975 and baseball-reference has him credited with 90 RBIs that year.

Baseball-Almanac has Brett with 1,595 RBIs. ESPN gets their stats from Elias Sports Bureau and they have Brett listed with 1,596 RBIs. I don't know which one's correct.

Edited by falconsfan567

All I know is what they've been saying on tv and the radio during the games.

But after looking at it I don't know where they are getting Brett had 1,596 RBI's when he only had 1,595.

EDIT: According to MLB.com Brett had 1,595 RBIs but according to baseball-reference Brett had 1,596 RBIs. The difference being according to MLB.com Brett had only 89 RBIs in 1975 and baseball-reference has him credited with 90 RBIs that year.

Baseball-Almanac has Brett with 1,595 RBIs. ESPN gets their stats from Elias Sports Bureau and they have Brett listed with 1,596 RBIs. I don't know which one's correct.

I'd go with Elias. They know their ****.

Interestingly I went to the Hall of Fame .org website and it did not readily post stats like I thought it would. Possible because of the disparity of the numbers in tracking systems.

Its interesting to me that they don't because stats are big part of the player and their place in history.

They did have a link to a baseball references and it stated George Brett had 1,586 RBIs. Lets just hope Chipper pasts that mark soon.

Thansk to both about Elias. I will check out their site.

Edited by AEFalcon

Speaking of Chipper Jones tribute: September 28th is the date that the Braves will honor Chipper Jones. Not sure what all will happen, but that day will belong to Chipper.

I hope they go ahead and throw the #10 up next to the greats that night. That would be pretty darn cool!

I wonder how many hits he needs to get to #5 for switch hitters; but being top ten of all time

is already ELITE !!

According to a couple of sites i checked out.

Hits by Switch hitters:

Chipper- 2,682

Roberto Alomar- 2,724 (difference from chipper = 42)

Omar Vizquel- 2,858 (difference from Chipper = 176)

He could catch Alomar if stays healthy but not Omar.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/H_career.shtml

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hitting/hihits1.shtml

According to a couple of sites i checked out.

Hits by Switch hitters:

Chipper- 2,682

Roberto Alomar- 2,724 (difference from chipper = 42)

Omar Vizquel- 2,858 (difference from Chipper = 176)

He could catch Alomar if stays healthy but not Omar.

http://www.baseball-.../H_career.shtml

http://www.baseball-...g/hihits1.shtml

Thanks

For sure about Ormar. I doubt he catches Roberto either cause he isn't in the line up enough. Who knows through, he could have a few more of those 5 for 5 games lol

Strange; I remember Roberto very well. But hardly remember Omar at all even though he was close to the 3,000 hit club.

Thanks

For sure about Ormar. I doubt he catches Roberto either cause he isn't in the line up enough

Strange; I remember Roberto very well. But hardly remember Omar at all even though he was close to the 3,000 hit club.

42 hits isn't a lot. There are 64 games left in the season. Chipper has 67 hits this season. He's on pace for 111. That's 44 more hits.

Thanks

For sure about Ormar. I doubt he catches Roberto either cause he isn't in the line up enough. Who knows through, he could have a few more of those 5 for 5 games lol

Funny neither did I. I had to check 2 sites just to be sure. Guess he was more than just a defensive player.

Thanks

I was looking at Chippers 1st half of the season and he had 55 hits. He may catch Roberto at 45 hits away....but of course with Chipper it all boils down to injuries and if he can stay on the field. Hope so.