Lofton Vs. Spoon

SaintRay

Seems Pat Y thinks Lofton is a more valuable player than Spoon in his NFCS Top 25 Players.

Curtis Lofton, linebacker, New Orleans

What he did in 2011: Lofton had a fourth straight very solid season for the Atlanta Falcons. He had a career-high 147 tackles, two interceptions, forced a fumble and recorded a sack. But when free agency rolled around, Lofton was looking for huge money. The Falcons wanted to keep him, but were only offering a little over half his initial asking price. There also were rumblings that new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan didn’t think Lofton was a three-down linebacker. Lofton drifted in free agency for several weeks. He never got the kind of money he first was looking for. But he elected not to go back to Atlanta with his tail between his legs, instead choosing to sign with the division-rival Saints.

Why he’s No. 14 in 2012: Lofton and the Saints already have been making a lot of noise about how he’ll be a three-down linebacker in New Orleans. The Saints are serious about that. Lofton’s an instant upgrade over what Jonathan Vilma was in the middle when he was hobbled by a knee problem virtually all of last season. Lofton’s a natural leader and a younger version of Vilma. Plus, it appears Lofton heard the whispers that he’s not a great coverage linebacker and has dropped weight, presumably to increase his quickness. Lofton is a very prideful guy and I’m sure he’ll be highly motivated to go out and prove to the Falcons that they were wrong. That’s why I’m expecting a big season from Lofton.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sean Weatherspoon, linebacker, Atlanta

What he did in 2011: He followed up a nice rookie season with an even better second year. Weatherspoon made 115 tackles and produced four sacks. He also fared well in coverage and was credited with eight passes defensed.

Why he’s No. 15 in 2012: Part of the reason the Falcons were willing to let middle linebacker Curtis Lofton depart was due to the fact they expect Weatherspoon to emerge. He doesn’t play the middle like Lofton, but Weatherspoon now will be expected to run this defense. Lofton was the unquestioned leader of this defense, but Weatherspoon is more than ready to step in. He’s a vocal and emotional player. He’s also a guy the Falcons are counting on to stay on the field all the time and make a lot of big plays. This division has been dominated by big-name middle linebackers in recent years. But Weatherspoon has a chance to become the division’s most potent outside linebacker since Derrick Brooks’ career ended in Tampa Bay.

Seems Pat Y thinks Lofton is a more valuable player than Spoon in his NFCS Top 25 Players.

Curtis Lofton, linebacker, New Orleans

What he did in 2011: Lofton had a fourth straight very solid season for the Atlanta Falcons. He had a career-high 147 tackles, two interceptions, forced a fumble and recorded a sack. But when free agency rolled around, Lofton was looking for huge money. The Falcons wanted to keep him, but were only offering a little over half his initial asking price. There also were rumblings that new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan didn’t think Lofton was a three-down linebacker. Lofton drifted in free agency for several weeks. He never got the kind of money he first was looking for. But he elected not to go back to Atlanta with his tail between his legs, instead choosing to sign with the division-rival Saints.

Why he’s No. 14 in 2012: Lofton and the Saints already have been making a lot of noise about how he’ll be a three-down linebacker in New Orleans. The Saints are serious about that. Lofton’s an instant upgrade over what Jonathan Vilma was in the middle when he was hobbled by a knee problem virtually all of last season. Lofton’s a natural leader and a younger version of Vilma. Plus, it appears Lofton heard the whispers that he’s not a great coverage linebacker and has dropped weight, presumably to increase his quickness. Lofton is a very prideful guy and I’m sure he’ll be highly motivated to go out and prove to the Falcons that they were wrong. That’s why I’m expecting a big season from Lofton.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sean Weatherspoon, linebacker, Atlanta

What he did in 2011: He followed up a nice rookie season with an even better second year. Weatherspoon made 115 tackles and produced four sacks. He also fared well in coverage and was credited with eight passes defensed.

Why he’s No. 15 in 2012: Part of the reason the Falcons were willing to let middle linebacker Curtis Lofton depart was due to the fact they expect Weatherspoon to emerge. He doesn’t play the middle like Lofton, but Weatherspoon now will be expected to run this defense. Lofton was the unquestioned leader of this defense, but Weatherspoon is more than ready to step in. He’s a vocal and emotional player. He’s also a guy the Falcons are counting on to stay on the field all the time and make a lot of big plays. This division has been dominated by big-name middle linebackers in recent years. But Weatherspoon has a chance to become the division’s most potent outside linebacker since Derrick Brooks’ career ended in Tampa Bay.

First of all, that's not gonna happen with the BUCS drafting Lavonte Davis outta Nebraska! The kid covers the field like very few can, which was Brooks Specialty! Instincts, it's all about Instincts!

Second, while Spoon may be on the field more than Lofton, when Lofton's in he make a much bigger impact. I think Patty's trying to be nice with this comparison.

I just wish we would've signed Lofton instead of Wright. He would've instantly made our front 7 better, even if he did come out on 3rd down.

Edited by jb.069

I thought we all came to the conclusion that this list was horrible. I think that Lofton is a good linebacker, but he wont be great, he struggles in coverage and is not a very good blitzer. Spoon has that wow factor, and it showed last year. The thing with Spoon is that he can be over aggressive.

Edited by #1falconsfan

I thought we all came to the conclusion that this list was horrible. I think that Lofton is a good linebacker, but he wont be great, he struggles in coverage and is not a very good blitzer. Spoon has that wow factor, and it showed last year. The thing with Spoon is that he can be over aggressive.

Which goes along with what I said above re: instincts.

Even the bucs didnt think Lofton was worth big money and they where targeting him from the start. Lofton gets the nodge because he was the D leader. Thats it.

If you have to pick 1 or the other, the choice is clear that its spoon. But Lofton does have his value as well. We will see if his weight loss amounts to better pass coverage. He was a liability on 3rd downs.

The Saints needed some run stopping so they got a guy for that. The falcons got a more vocal leader who is better in coverage.

Pick the Falcon who doesn't look like they belong in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11TUalz8-es

Watch the difference in attitude that Spoon has vs the attitude Lofton has.

I'd be hesitant to label Lofton until after this season with a highly regarded DC.

Who honestly knows how much BVG's scheme hurt/helped him..

BVG didnt help many people, so its safe to say it did hurt him some. Under a better coach it might step his game up though to achieve what BVG couldnt.

Here`s a story about Spoon that just came out.

As we count down the days to training camp, Around the League will examine one player from every team set for a breakout campaign in 2012. Next up: the Atlanta Falcons.

Sean Weatherspoon on the brink of making the Pro Bowl

Sean Weatherspoon is the guy who goes the craziest when his teammate makes a good play. He's the guy who pleads for an official to call a safety before it happens, the guy who jumps into a scrum late because he wants to be part of the action. He is always moving, always looking for action. He is a joy to watch.

None of this makes the third-year Falcons linebacker a great player. His speed, smarts and versatility take care of that. When you combine Weatherspoon's natural ability with his effort and attitude, you have a potential difference-maker. You get a leader.

I'm uncomfortable making Weatherspoon my "Making the Leap" pick for the Falcons, because he's already made a sizable jump. He's the leader of this Falcons defense. (Why do you think they let Curtis Lofton walk?) Weatherspoon is already one of the best 4-3 outside linebackers in football. He easily could have made the Pro Bowl last year, but he's not a big enough name yet.

He's listed here because he deserves more attention. Those Pro Bowl nods are often built on reputations gained one or two years after a player truly earns recognition. I'm doing my tiny part to elevate Weatherspoon's reputation now.

Weatherspoon is, in many ways, the prototypical modern player for his position. He covers tight ends -- like he did with the New York Giants' Jake Ballard in the playoffs -- with ease. He breaks on passes before they are thrown. He can rush the passer when asked. He instinctively avoids blocks and finds the football. He's a linebacker in a passing league. His level of effort is unquestioned.

There is no doubt Weatherspoon's aggressiveness sometimes causes problems when he over-pursues. He could be stronger in short-yardage situation.

But these are quibbles. Entering his third year, playing for a creative defensive coordinator in Mike Nolan, Weatherspoon is on his way to being one of the best overall linebackers in football.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a4f5f9/article/sean-weatherspoon-falcons-lb-en-route-to-pro-bowl

To be fair im sure atl will give fair praise to Lofton as well when they review the Saints.

Edited by danight

Even the bucs didnt think Lofton was worth big money and they where targeting him from the start. Lofton gets the nodge because he was the D leader. Thats it.

If you have to pick 1 or the other, the choice is clear that its spoon. But Lofton does have his value as well. We will see if his weight loss amounts to better pass coverage. He was a liability on 3rd downs.

The Saints needed some run stopping so they got a guy for that. The falcons got a more vocal leader who is better in coverage.

Watch the difference in attitude that Spoon has vs the attitude Lofton has.

Bad example! Yet we gave Eric Wright $37 Million? That was just a bad decision on our part. Luckily, with the addition of Lavonte Davis in the draft it shouldn't come back to bite us in the *** too bad.

Edited by jb.069

this is really no contest

I Like Lofton

Hes an old school MLB, what he lacks in coverage, and he lacks alot, he more than makes up for vs The Run, 15 yrs ago he would be in the Running for D MVP of the NFL, but by Todays Standards

Spoon is The Man, a fast intense guy that can cover, blitz and stuff the run, Dude is Electric and everyone sees it, Flat out Beast...and if he stays Healthy this yr in Nolans Scheme he will easily be a 1st team All Pro....

In Todays NFL every team wants a Spoon

and only a select few have them.....

1 who is gone for yr, the reigning D MVP

this is really no contest

I Like Lofton

Hes an old school MLB, what he lacks in coverage, and he lacks alot, he more than makes up for vs The Run, 15 yrs ago he would be in the Running for D MVP of the NFL, but by Todays Standards

Spoon is The Man, a fast intense guy that can cover, blitz and stuff the run, Dude is Electric and everyone sees it, Flat out Beast...and if he stays Healthy this yr in Nolans Scheme he will easily be a 1st team All Pro....

In Todays NFL every team wants a Spoon

and only a select few have them.....

1 who is gone for yr, the reigning D MVP

We already have 2 Spoons and a Fork. This won't even be a debate next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjvkmoTm5xQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjvkmoTm5xQ

I'd take Spoon based on youth and potential. Lofton is a **** good MLB though. I'm not gonna bash him cause he went to the Saints. NFL's a business. 2 different players though. Spoon plays a far more versatile role and would harder to replace IMO.

i agree. Spoon is more versatile. Lofton is a TRUE MLB and not expected to be

lofton is a great leader, but on the field he doesn't really do anything well against play the run, and even that was showing signs of diminishing play near the end of the season last year. spoon does many things well at the lb position, plays the run, attacks behind the line of scrimmage, and is better in coverage then lofton.

it should also be noted however they play different positions, so a head to head comparison isn't really that fair. lofton is a better mlb then spoon would make.