So This Cat Rings My Doorbell At 5:30 This Morning.....

JDaveG

.....and says he got kicked out of a friend's house because his mother came home and told him to leave, and then his car broke down. So I asked him where his car was, and he said it was up the road somewhere, he "didn't even know where." So he asked me to call him a taxi, which I did, but they won't pick him up on the street corner and his *** ain't hanging around my house with my 3 sleeping kids.

So he asked me to call his mother, Sylvia. So I did. No answer, so I left a message -- please come pick up your darling son at the entrance to my subdivision. She still hasn't called back. So I did a reverse search. The number I called is registered to someone named "Rhonda." So I called 911 and told them to run a patrol of the area.

A couple of thoughts here. First thought is, he may be legit, but his story is very suspicious. He doesn't know where his house is, and his mom doesn't answer the phone OR call me back? And the phone is listed in someone else's name? Doesn't sound right. Second, I'm about to leave for the Peachtree Road Race. So my wife and 3 kids will be here alone. Now, if he has any powers of observation at all, he knows my wife is armed, because she was somewhat conspicuously maintaining a position in the hallway with a .38 while I talked to him. She wasn't making it obvious she had a gun, but she was acting like someone who had a gun might act. He also knows we have a huge dog that angrily patrols the living room (he kept going over where the girls' room is), and a smaller dog that makes a ton of noise. So if he's up to no good and casing my house, my guess is he'll find an easier target.

Sounds like her sons friend could just be a bum that finds people to take care of him and eventually gets kicked out when they see they aren't trying to accomplish anything in life.

I have known several guys who just float around from place to place because all they want to do in life is play video games

Whenever I get a ring at the doorbell at a weird hour I answer the door with my piece and a pizzed off look on my face (like I know your up to no good). If you showed this guy any kind of compassion he will keep working you until you have finally had enough. By then (if he is up to no good) he has had time to assess the situation and make a plan. My advice to you is to never do what you did again.

I hate to be THAT guy, but you probably wouldnt have did this if you were from a community affected by murder the same way blacks and latinos are. You could have opened the door and dude could have had a gun to your face....not a good look.

My black azz isnt answering the door for somebody I dont know at 11 in the morning....Much less 5. All of the houses I visited as a kid were pretty much like that too. Be weary of people you dont know, and if its at a weird hour dont even bother.

I hate to be THAT guy, but you probably wouldnt have did this if you were from a community affected by murder the same way blacks and latinos are. You could have opened the door and dude could have had a gun to your face....not a good look.

My black azz isnt answering the door for somebody I dont know at 11 in the morning....Much less 5. All of the houses I visited as a kid were pretty much like that too. Be weary of people you dont know, and if its at a weird hour dont even bother.

All you have to do is watch a few episodes of "I survived" to find endless examples of bad things happening to good people only trying to help. I hate that we live in the type of world we live in now but because of this the rules of engagement can never be the same.

I have a better excuse. My front door doesn't work, so I can't come to it. But I agree 100% with this.

I have a better excuse. My front door doesn't work, so I can't come to it. But I agree 100% with this.

I have cameras around my place. For those of you who think this is expensive go to the Zmodo web site, its cheaper than you think. Just the site of surveillance cameras is a big deterrent to those who are up to no good. A speaker to the front door is also dirt cheap and between the two you can cut way down on your chances of getting home invaded. Unless you have been specifically targeted a home invader will normally take the path of least resistance unless he is desperate. While it is difficult to stop someone in a desperate situation, there are still many steps you can take to improve your chances. These two steps are cheap and highly effective.

His mom eventually called back and said she didn't have transportation to come get him, so I went to the front of the neighborhood to see if he was there and offer to call someone for him and he had already left. So that part of his story checked out at least. Having said that, I called her to tell her he wasn't there and still haven't heard back, which is still odd.

Here's the hard thing about it -- if I could have been sure he was being completely truthful, I'd have brought him in the house and fed him and waited until we could get in touch with mom. But you can't really take that chance. We've had people do the ding dong dash thing in our neighborhood, and the assumption from most folks is it's either kids playing pranks or someone casing the house. He didn't look like someone that would be casing my house, but how do you know? I have a wife and 3 kids -- I can't afford to make a mistake there. Add to that the fact that so much of his story didn't check out, and we were just a bit too suspicious to be the good neighbors we'd prefer to be. Especially since I was leaving the house and my wife and kids would be here alone until after noon.

Whenever I get a ring at the doorbell at a weird hour I answer the door with my piece and a pizzed off look on my face (like I know your up to no good). If you showed this guy any kind of compassion he will keep working you until you have finally had enough. By then (if he is up to no good) he has had time to assess the situation and make a plan. My advice to you is to never do what you did again.

If that had happened, my wife was prepared (and is well trained) to deal with it appropriately. It might not have helped me, but he'd have had a much worse day than I did.

She wasn't exactly brandishing, but she had him dead to rights if he tried to come in the house uninvited.

JDave with all due respect you did the the dumbest ******* thing you could have possibly done which was let him have a look inside your house. The guy was probably casing the place.

BTW if someone comes to my door at a weird hour I usually grab two knives and hide in the crawl space between the door and entertainment center and see if they try to break in. If they do I have the advantage of surprise because when you open the door up it conceals the crawl space. So I would have a clean shot at the jugular if I needed to take that kind of action.

BTW if someone comes to my door at a weird hour I usually grab two knives and hide in the crawl space between the door and entertainment center and see if they try to break in. If they do I have the advantage of surprise because when you open the door up it conceals the crawl space. So I would have a clean shot at the jugular if I needed to take that kind of action.

conansrs.gif

conansrs.gif

I'm 100% **** serious. I only do it when weird **** happens though.

I scared the **** out of my sister once, she rolled in at 2 AM unannounced and couldn't find the key hole on the door so I thought it was someone trying to pick the lock

I'm 100% **** serious. I only do it when weird **** happens though.

I scared the **** out of my sister once, she rolled in at 2 AM unannounced and couldn't find the key hole on the door so I thought it was someone trying to pick the lock

I'm just visualizing some Jehovas Witnesses coming by your house on a Saturday morning and you scurrying into the woodwork with some Ginsu knives.

monkey_knife_fight_3.gif

I'm just visualizing some Jehovas Witnesses coming by your house on a Saturday morning and you scurrying into the woodwork with some Ginsu knives.

monkey_knife_fight_3.gif

Nah I only do it in the wee hours of the morning.

I have special ways of deal with Jehovah's witnesses. It generally consists of me playing slayer or some other death metal band all the way up and then throwing some ketchup on my hands and put on all black.

They haven't come back for about 4-5 months.

Nah I only do it in the wee hours of the morning.

I have special ways of deal with Jehovah's witnesses. It generally consists of me playing slayer or some other death metal band all the way up and then throwing some ketchup on my hands and put on all black.

They haven't come back for about 4-5 months.

I just tell them I am Mormon and start to tell them the story of Joseph Smith finding the Golden tablets. This has them running for the exits like a concert goer during the encore.

JDave with all due respect you did the the dumbest ******* thing you could have possibly done which was let him have a look inside your house. The guy was probably casing the place.

He didn't get much of a look. When I was talking to him I blocked the door, and I had the porch light on but not the living room light. He could have gotten a much better look if I hadn't answered.

.....and says he got kicked out of a friend's house because his mother came home and told him to leave, and then his car broke down. So I asked him where his car was, and he said it was up the road somewhere, he "didn't even know where." So he asked me to call him a taxi, which I did, but they won't pick him up on the street corner and his *** ain't hanging around my house with my 3 sleeping kids.

So he asked me to call his mother, Sylvia. So I did. No answer, so I left a message -- please come pick up your darling son at the entrance to my subdivision. She still hasn't called back. So I did a reverse search. The number I called is registered to someone named "Rhonda." So I called 911 and told them to run a patrol of the area.

A couple of thoughts here. First thought is, he may be legit, but his story is very suspicious. He doesn't know where his house is, and his mom doesn't answer the phone OR call me back? And the phone is listed in someone else's name? Doesn't sound right. Second, I'm about to leave for the Peachtree Road Race. So my wife and 3 kids will be here alone. Now, if he has any powers of observation at all, he knows my wife is armed, because she was somewhat conspicuously maintaining a position in the hallway with a .38 while I talked to him. She wasn't making it obvious she had a gun, but she was acting like someone who had a gun might act. He also knows we have a huge dog that angrily patrols the living room (he kept going over where the girls' room is), and a smaller dog that makes a ton of noise. So if he's up to no good and casing my house, my guess is he'll find an easier target.

JDave: the more they talk and keep building upon their little story, as in one bad thing after the other, the more you can be certain it's all some kind of scam something going on.