Chris Hope: Falcons Have The Makings Of A Super Bowl Team

ya_boi_j

Getty Images

Safety Chris Hope says he decided to sign with the Falcons last week for one reason more than any other: He wants to win a Super Bowl.

Hope, who played on the Steelers team that won Super Bowl XL and then left Pittsburgh as a free agent and played six years for the Titans, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution he believes he can be on another Super Bowl winner in Atlanta.

“They have the makings of being a Super Bowl team,” Hope said of the Falcons. “I think that they are right there, knocking on the door. I feel like, for where I’m at in my career, I want to play for something. I don’t want to play for a check. I want to play for an opportunity to win another ring.”

After missing just five games in the previous seven seasons — and starting every game he played — Hope had a rough year in 2011. He suffered a dislocated shoulder and a forearm injury that forced him to miss six of the Titans’ first eight games, and when he returned to the field he had lost his spot in the starting lineup. It remains to be seen whether Hope will start in Atlanta, or whether safeties William Moore and Thomas Decoud will get the starting jobs. But Hope says he just wants to help in whatever way he can in the Falcons’ secondary.

“I feel like they have a great secondary with the addition of Asante Samuel, [Dunta] Robinson, [brent] Grimes and all of those guys are highly touted and elite corners in my opinion,” Hope said. “The safeties that they’ve had the last few years are real good and they are young. With my leadership and my veteran experience, I can just come in and help them out with whatever I can. I feel like I can still play at a high-level. But again, I’ll just do whatever they ask me to do.”

And Hope isn’t shy about sharing what he thinks the Falcons can do: Win the Super Bowl.

Sound familiar.

Every FA signing since TG has been singing the same tune.

With the same result come January, every year w/o fail.

Hate to do this folks.

I really do.

But...

What player doesn't sing that tune when they join a playoff contender that doesn't make it to the Super Bowl.

Checking a Vegas sports book Atlanta is in a 4 way tie for the twelvth best odds to win the Super Bowl. We're tied with Dallas, San Diego, and Detroit at 25:1. That puts us just barely in the top half of likely winners. Chicago is ahead of us at 24:1. I gotta believe we're the bargain payout of the year. This might be the year to live large.............Do you feel lucky?................Well do ya punk?

Checking a Vegas sports book Atlanta is in a 4 way tie for the twelvth best odds to win the Super Bowl. We're tied with Dallas, San Diego, and Detroit at 25:1. That puts us just barely in the top half of likely winners. Chicago is ahead of us at 24:1. I gotta believe we're the bargain payout of the year. This might be the year to live large.............Do you feel lucky?................Well do ya punk?

I'd drop a few bills on chicago as well..last year they were 7-3 before Cutler and Forte went down and looked good. They improved quite a bit this off season adding Marshall and Michael Bush. They already made it to the NFCCG without those two guys. Their offense should only be better with them and their defense is already top 10.

here is my thoughts on chris hope.. James sanders was a good BACKUP chris hope could still be a starter on 2/3rds of defenses in the leauge. so moore and decould better keep their game sharp or they will be riding the pine. without hope I thought our saftey group was a B- with hope I think its a B+

Edited by jdawg4876

Yeah, I read this pencil-neck blogger on B/R who had the Falcons 18th in his 2012 power rankings. Behind all the teams you'd expect them to be behind, but also behind such total second-tier teams like the Bungles, Texans, and maybe even the dam Chiefs. Same dude also had Chicago rated at 10 I believe, and yeah, he had the Sucs at 7th-best team going into this season. This Falcon team is going to shock the hale out of these clownshoe sports bloggers, all the ESPN Sports and NFL Network talking heads, not to mention all the TATF trolls predicting a meltdown this season.

This gives us a ton of flexibility all over our secondary.

If DeCoud struggles, Hope should start.

If Moore/DeCoud are hurt, Hope should start.

If we want to go to a big nickel formation in a run-first scenario, DeCoud can slide up the slot CB spot (he was a CB/FS in college) providing better run support while Hope steps in at safety.

Hope is mainly great depth, but I could definitely see some 3 safety formations with all 3 guys back there floating around with Spoon at LB, or DeCoud moving up to the "big nickel" spot when it's 2nd and short or if Nolan has something else in mind, perhaps bringing him in on a blitz, with Moore and Hope back at safety.

LOL.

You beat me to it. But you limited yourself.

I was thinking this is the new cliche for FA everywhere around the league.

You guys are ridiculous.

Most veterans that sign with a team for small money are looking for a shot at a ring. And there are many teams in the NFC and AFC who the players in the NFL view as SB contenders. The Falcons are one of them, sorry if you don't like that.

He didn't come here for a starting job, he didn't come here to be cloer to home, and he didn't come here for the $$. He wants another ring and Atlanta was offering him an opportunity to get that. You don't see FAs say that about Cleveland, Arizona, St. Louis, Miami, etc. Did Cortland Finnegan say he chose the Rams for a shot at a ring? No. He went for thre $$$.

You guys are anti-homers. Go away.

Samuel should help as long as the birds get some sort of push towards the QB. I just hope they aren't trying to ask him to play a scheme hes not built for. I believe he's a zone corner. Hope I have no opinion on since I am unfamiliar with his work.

Samuel is actually good in Man to Man off coverage he likes to read and react. He watches the QBs eyes. The zone corner is a myth.

Samuel should help as long as the birds get some sort of push towards the QB. I just hope they aren't trying to ask him to play a scheme hes not built for. I believe he's a zone corner. Hope I have no opinion on since I am unfamiliar with his work.

Nolan scheme's around player strengths. It will be combinations. I heard Robinson will be given autonomy based on what he see's in the slot.

Samuel is actually good in Man to Man off coverage he likes to read and react. He watches the QBs eyes. The zone corner is a myth.

No its true that he's better at zone, but he's good at man as well. He's just good at coverage. You'll see him play both. Not as much press though.

I hope it is not a rumor. I know Nolan plays to strength.

Dude Nolan is the man and my favorite DC in the league. I really thought we would never get him. I guarantee a top 10 defense with him. Big years from Willy Mo, D Rob and Spoon. If they stay heathy he uses SS,NB and Outside Backers well in his system.