My Unpopular Opinion Of The Day

we should have tried to keep mike jenkins number 12. I know most posters hated him and I will agree he was not a great number 2, and yes jones is the better WR but.....

As somebody that actually watches all the games matt ryan had just about as many big game throws to number 12 as he did to roddy. Lets remember that ryans first TD was not to roddy but jenkins. When matt ryan made the throw to the sidelines to kick the field goal and win that game against the bears it was not to roddy but jenkins. Also the throw that set up the throw to roddy to win against the ravens was made bike mike jenkins. jenkins literally made a fingertip grab b4 heading out of bounds. Now im not saying he is better than roddy one loo kat the stats will prove that...

What I wish TD would have done is redo his contract and make him a 4th/ 2nd reciever then we could have saved 6 million this yr of TG. I know im going to get flamed here but lets be honest this yr TG is nothing more than a redzone and threat and saftey net for matt ryan.

The reason I really wanted to keep mike if the price was right, is for several reasons.

1. he has chemistry with matt.

2. he was a great blocker better than julio in my opinion.

3. he had pretty good hands, so even though he did not have top tier speed he could have been the saftey net posession Wr for matt.

4. If julio or roddy went down mike could filed the outside spot and let harry stay at his natural postion as slot reciever.

5. I would have loved to see 4 wr sets with harry, mike julio, and roddy. or **** even 5 sets with kerry, mike, julio, harry, roddy. I mean could you imagine, you would have three recievers that could take it the distance with harry julio and roddy, but also two posession recievers with mike and kerry that could be a saftey net, who would get you 5 to 8 yds and a first down against Linebackers.

Just my thought for the day.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this has nothing to do with ryan, it has more to do with cap space and Im saying if that mike jenkins would have re did his contract he would have been the better option as a saftey net and reciever for the amount of money tony g is making this yr.

Edited by jdawg4876

once again I dont at all think mike is better than julio at all besides blocking. read my topic again what im saying is he would have been a great 4th option and a decent back up number 2 if roddy or julio went down if he would of re-did his contract, for the many reasons I stated.

I like Jenkins but he made too much money to play #4/situational wr which is where he belonged.

I agree but I think he would of re did his contract if giving the chance. I honestly dont think mike thought he was a great number 2 either. I would have rather pay mike jenkins 2 to 3 million this yr than tony g 6 or 7 for basically doing the same job, which is a "saftey net" for ryan

The blocking killed MJ. I blame MM for killing MJ career. He was clearly better than White and had his chance to shine at #1. Then he was only used for blocking.

But he did make to much money to stay. He had to go.

Hmmm, I'm gonna have to disagree with the Roddy statement..

im telling you just by the eye test before tony g came matt looked just as much in mike's direction as he did roddy to move the chains, but after tony came he was the new better saftey net for ryan, and I cant blame him bc tony is one of if not the best Te to ever play. All im saying is at this stage of both careers, I wish we would have kept mike for 2 or 3 million rather than paying tony g 6 or 7 for doing the same job.

Rody sucked his first few years. Just flat out sucked and couldn't catch a cold. He became elite but when he started he sucked. Finn had way better hands.

He did have a ton of drops, but you can't question his obvious talent. Only took him till his 3rd year to figure his sh*t out, then caught 83 for 1000+.

also as a 4th option he could have helped out on special teams and filled in some gaps left by weems, not to mention could you imagin him and roddy on the same side of the field blocking for quizz or even julio in the screen game. just saying I wish Td would have tried to keep him, then we would not have to have threads about bring in plaxico or randy moss or TO. we would have 2 great recievers in julio and roddy and two good recievers in harry and mike jenkins, sounds like a winning combination to me

Yea , Julio was brought in to mentor under Roddy and Tony to eventually become #1. Julio like most say is a freak of nature. He is once in a generation type of receiver. I really liked Jenkins too. I didn't want to see him go. I had a $200 bet with my dad though. He swore HD was gone , I said Jenk. We know how that turned out.

LOL...too bad for Ryan that Jenkins isn't here. His lack of completing meaningful passes and putting points on the board has nothing to do with #12 anymore...LOL....

An offense that manages to score 2 points, in the playoffs, with two legitimate #1 WRs, a HOF TE and a Pro Bowl RB is mind-blowing to me...wow!

LOL...too bad for Ryan that Jenkins isn't here. His lack of completing meaningful passes and putting points on the board has nothing to do with #12 anymore...LOL....

An offense that manages to score 2 points, in the playoffs, with two legitimate #1 WRs, a HOF TE and a Pro Bowl RB is mind-blowing to me...wow!

You forgot an Oline who moonlights for Marta as turn styles.

one thing im sick and tired of is the tony g thing he is a hall of famer for sure but he was never a hall of fame player for us. he no longer could stretch the field like a finley, or a gates. even when tony became a falcons 3 yrs ago.

Edited by jdawg4876

You forgot an Oline who moonlights for Marta as turn styles.

Hey..that Oline got us 40+wins or so in 4 years, got Ryan career "passing" numbers last year and produced several rushing titles set Turner up for 2nd leading rusher in '08, 3rd in 10 and 11....so I'm not buying the O-Line excuse tonight.

Hey..that Oline got us 40+wins or so in 4 years, got Ryan career "passing" numbers last year and produced several rushing titles for Turner....so I'm not buying the O-Line excuse tonight.

I was under the impression we were speaking of Giants playoff game.

I thought it was a great group from 08'-10'. They lost something intangible with Dahl leaving.

I was under the impression we were speaking of Giants playoff game.

I thought it was a great group from 08'-10'. They lost something intangible with Dahl leaving.

Oh..just looking at one playoff game? Okay...I'm wondering what, if anything, will it be this year....and hopefully it won't. But I just don't see the OLine as being the lack of our success against the Giants.