Nick Saban Declined Home And Home With Wisconsin?

Can't say I blame him on this one... Bama gains nothing by scheduling Wisconsin for non-conference games. It's disappointing, but hopefully the new playoff system will put a lot of weight on strength of schedule so we don't have the 8 or 9 conference games and then 3 or 4 absolute fluffers.

Can't say I blame him on this one... Bama gains nothing by scheduling Wisconsin for non-conference games. It's disappointing, but hopefully the new playoff system will put a lot of weight on strength of schedule so we don't have the 8 or 9 conference games and then 3 or 4 absolute fluffers.

I'll just say that it seems a bit fishy the has no problems scheduling home and home series with Penn State (already happened) and Michigan State (in the future) but one of the much better Big Ten teams comes calling and he backs down from it.

Now I'll wait for the Bammer fans to come on here and bash Auburn for there lack of non-conference big games over the years. Not that I can argue that or even compare it to Bama's which has been much better over the past few years under Saban's reign. I would love for Auburn to play tougher non-conference games.

It appears that Chizik might field a harder non-conference schedule than Tuberville did. It's not Chizik's fault that Notre Dame backed out of an agreement a couple years ago. Aside from early in Tuberville's reign when Auburn played a home and home with Southern Cal, Auburn's non-conference schedule was a joke for the most part.

I'll just say that it seems a bit fishy the has no problems scheduling home and home series with Penn State (already happened) and Michigan State (in the future) but one of the much better Big Ten teams comes calling and he backs down from it.

Now I'll wait for the Bammer fans to come on here and bash Auburn for there lack of non-conference big games over the years. Not that I can argue that or even compare it to Bama's which has been much better over the past few years under Saban's reign. I would love for Auburn to play tougher non-conference games.

It appears that Chizik might field a harder non-conference schedule than Tuberville did. It's not Chizik's fault that Notre Dame backed out of an agreement a couple years ago. Aside from early in Tuberville's reign when Auburn played a home and home with Southern Cal, Auburn's non-conference schedule was a joke for the most part.

Yeah that is certainly one side of it that is valid and I agree. Realistically, I think it's more about it being a benefit to Bama in recruiting... having games in or against Pennsylvania/Michigan schools is a lot more beneficial than Wisconsin.

Yeah that is certainly one side of it that is valid and I agree. Realistically, I think it's more about it being a benefit to Bama in recruiting... having games in or against Pennsylvania/Michigan schools is a lot more beneficial than Wisconsin.

Yeah I agree with that but there is benefit to playing a game in Wisconsin. That would have made great TV.

We have the following OOC opponents:

2012: Michigan (Neutral Site - Dallas)

2013: VT (Neutral Site - Atlanta)

2014: WV (Neutral Site - Atlanta)

2015: none

2016: Michigan St. (Home/Home series)

2017: Michigan St. (Home/Home series)

Now it is pretty tough to fit in a 2 year Home/Home deal with an OOC opponent with the line up above, and you also have the threat of the SEC moving to a 9 game conference schedule within the next few years.

I think it was a smart move wink.png

Edited by JHav

Now it is pretty tough to fit in a 2 year Home/Home deal with an OOC opponent with the line up above, and you also have the threat of the SEC moving to a 9 game conference schedule within the next few years.

I really don't see the SEC going to a 9-game conference schedule. I know Saban is one of the guys that wants it but I don't see it happening. 8 is plenty hard enough.

there is no threat of the sec going to 9 games for the next 12 years.. . the 8 game schedule is for the next 12 years unless we add 2 more teams. the reason he declined wisconsin is because it won't do anything for bama recruiting wise. that is why they are doing the neutral site games in recruiting rich areas because they can't live on bama players alone. wisconsin doesn't do anything for bama in recruiting.

there is no threat of the sec going to 9 games for the next 12 years.. . the 8 game schedule is for the next 12 years unless we add 2 more teams. the reason he declined wisconsin is because it won't do anything for bama recruiting wise. that is why they are doing the neutral site games in recruiting rich areas because they can't live on bama players alone. wisconsin doesn't do anything for bama in recruiting.

Exactly

During Saban's five year tenure, Alabama has went out-of-conference to play Florida State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, and Penn State (twice). We play Michigan this year and have Virginia Tech and West Virginia scheduled the following two seasons. Also, as you mentioned, we have Michigan State (Saban's former school who is coached by Saban's understudy, D'antoni) lined up several years down the road. We only have one year with an out-of-conference opening over the next 8 years or so and Alabama is trying to lock down a game in St. Louis or Dallas with either Notre Dame, Oklahoma, or USC.

The home and home with Penn State was scheduled before Saban arrived -- and the Michigan State home and home was a nod back to D'antoni as much as anything. Saban has said many times he wants out-of-conference games at a neutral site that will benefit Alabama in recruiting. Saban is certainly not dodging anybody -- as already noted in this thread, playing Wisconsin a home and home just does nothing for us in recruiting.

During Saban's five year tenure, Alabama has went out-of-conference to play Florida State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, and Penn State (twice). We play Michigan this year and have Virginia Tech and West Virginia scheduled the following two seasons. Also, as you mentioned, we have Michigan State (Saban's former school who is coached by Saban's understudy, D'antoni) lined up several years down the road. We only have one year with an out-of-conference opening over the next 8 years or so and Alabama is trying to lock down a game in St. Louis or Dallas with either Notre Dame, Oklahoma, or USC.

The home and home with Penn State was scheduled before Saban arrived -- and the Michigan State home and home was a nod back to D'antoni as much as anything. Saban has said many times he wants out-of-conference games at a neutral site that will benefit Alabama in recruiting. Saban is certainly not dodging anybody -- as already noted in this thread, playing Wisconsin a home and home just does nothing for us in recruiting.

And as I said Alabama hasn't played a weak non-conference slate under Saban. I wish I could say the same for Auburn.

Adding Clemson the last two years has been a good start for Auburn on beefing up the non-conference schedule.

Yep. And Tuberville did at least leave a parting gift with the home-and-home with West Virginia. I believe Chizik won't be afraid to back down from scheduling tougher non-conference opponents. It may mean a couple more losses here and there but I would gladly welcome it.

Yep. And Tuberville did at least leave a parting gift with the home-and-home with West Virginia. I believe Chizik won't be afraid to back down from scheduling tougher non-conference opponents. It may mean a couple more losses here and there but I would gladly welcome it.

well now with the selection committee starting up and they are now taking into account strength of schedule (it was moronic to take that out of the equation a number of years ago) we will hopefully see more teams play tougher ooc games even if it does mean a lost that could be the difference between a title shot or not.

well now with the selection committee starting up and they are now taking into account strength of schedule (it was moronic to take that out of the equation a number of years ago) we will hopefully see more teams play tougher ooc games even if it does mean a lost that could be the difference between a title shot or not.

Totally agree.