Goodell Upholds Punishments.

Trouble

http://www.nfl.com/n...1_breaking_news

Scott Fujita, Anthony Hargrove, Will Smith and Jonathan Vilma were notified Tuesday that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has upheld the player discipline that was imposed for their roles in the New Orleans Saints' pay-for-performance "bounty" program.

Vilma has been suspended without pay for the entire 2012 season, Hargrove eight games, Smith four games and Fujita for three games.

"Throughout this entire process, including your appeals, and despite repeated invitations and encouragement to do so, none of you has offered any evidence that would warrant reconsideration of your suspensions. Instead, you elected not to participate meaningfully in the appeal process..." Goodell wrote in a letter to the players.

"Although you claimed to have been 'wrongfully accused with insufficient evidence,' your lawyers elected not to ask a single question of the principal investigators, both of whom were present at the hearing (as your lawyers had requested); you elected not to testify or to make any substantive statement, written or oral, in support of your appeal; you elected not to call a single witness to support your appeal; and you elected not to introduce a single exhibit addressing the merits of your appeal. Instead, your lawyers raised a series of jurisdictional and procedural objections that generally ignore the CBA, in particular its provisions governing 'conduct detrimental' determinations..."

"In sum, I did not make my determinations here lightly. At every stage, I took seriously my responsibilities under the Collective Bargaining Agreement. I determined the discipline for each of you

(1) only after a long, detailed and professional investigation by NFL Security's experienced investigators;

(2) only after the results of that investigation were carefully reviewed by an independent expert, former United States Attorney Mary Jo White;

(3) only after I heard the appeals of the Saints' coaches and staff regarding discipline for their roles in the program;

(4) only after representatives of NFL Security, along with Mr. Pash and Mr. Birch, spoke with Players Association attorneys at length regarding the investigation; and

(5) only after giving each of you multiple opportunities to meet with the NFL investigators and to share with them your version of the events surrounding the program. The suspensions imposed were reasonable action taken to preserve public confidence in, and the integrity of, the game of professional football."

The players and NFL Players Association had previously challenged Goodell's authority to hear the player appeals, but their arguments were rejected by two arbitrators.

"While this decision constitutes my final and binding determination under the CBA, I of course retain the inherent authority to reduce a suspension should facts be brought to my attention warranting the exercise of that discretion," Goodell wrote. "The record confirms that each of you was given multiple chances to meet with me to present your side of the story. You are each still welcome to do so."

Edited by danight

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I dislike Goodell and what he's done and how I really feel for Saints fans being dragged through all this drama, Goodell makes very, very valid points in this statement.

So, now it's time to move on! The regular season starts in less than 70 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unsurprising.

Btw, what's with the large, bold highlighting?

Because they now call it "pay for performance bounty program" Not 1 or the other. Thats important since the players never wanted that to happen.

Then the last part is important because its the real first time he addressed all the accusations made by the players saying the NFL as far as lying.

Because they now call it "pay for performance bounty program" Not 1 or the other. Thats important since the players never wanted that to happen.

Then the last part is important because its the real first time he addressed all the accusations made by the players saying the NFL as far as lying.

True. They're hedging now by including p4p.

I also think he's still full of it continuing to refer to his hired law firm as independent.

I agree, JB. Let's get on with Training Camp already.

As much as I dislike Goodell and what he's done and how I really feel for Saints fans being dragged through all this drama, Goodell makes very, very valid points in this statement.

So, now it's time to move on! The regular season starts in less than 70 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree.

As much as I enjoy seeing the saints wallow in this I am so sick of hearing about it. I am so ready for football. Sadly this is not going away, with the saints players trying to use more legal actions this will keep getting drug out over and over, and the distraction will continue over and over.

Preseason is less than 40 days :D **** I will be happy just to go to TC and watch live contact.

I agree.

As much as I enjoy seeing the saints wallow in this I am so sick of hearing about it. I am so ready for football. Sadly this is not going away, with the saints players trying to use more legal actions this will keep getting drug out over and over, and the distraction will continue over and over.

Preseason is less than 40 days biggrin.png **** I will be happy just to go to TC and watch live contact.

Sooner or later EVERYONE will get sick of it and even the most hardcore Saints fan is gonna say, "Okay suck it up and let's move on"!

Sooner or later EVERYONE will get sick of it and even the most hardcore Saints fan is gonna say, "Okay suck it up and let's move on"!

i dont think we'd say SUCK IT UP, but maybe move it to the back.

Cant wait till the season so we can get a few more games handed to us by the refs. (D56 thinks so)

PS the sad part is ALL fans will suffer when the next CBA is to be signed. Alot of anger between the NFL and the NFLPA after all this

Cant wait till the season so we can get a few more games handed to us by the refs. (D56 thinks so)

PS the sad part is ALL fans will suffer when the next CBA is to be signed. Alot of anger between the NFL and the NFLPA after all this

**** THE NFLPA! In no way do I side with the owners and Goodell...BUT Smith and his crew of pain in the *** lawyers seem to be there for one thing and one thing only! Not money for the players, but money for themselves!

**** THE NFLPA! In no way do I side with the owners and Goodell...BUT Smith and his crew of pain in the *** lawyers seem to be there for one thing and one thing only! Not money for the players, but money for themselves!

i see it like that for both sides.

Both Goodel and Smith are there for money only

Albert Breer@AlbertBreer

Criticism of Goodell is misplaced on this 1. He didn't uphold penalties bc he levied them. He upheld them bc players didn't present a case.

Breer is all over this. basically he is right. The players and the PA in a strategic move chose not to cooperate , so the NFL had no choice but to uphold the orig decision.

If the PA wasnt playing politics and the Saints players actually wanted to appeal, they could have. They made a choice. For all the claims of false evidence the players didnt stand behind any of that for a appeal.

The NFL waited and waited for any player to make any real appeal and not 1 did supposedly. Hard to be mad at Goodell when the players didnt even try to defend themself except on twitter.

Really?

Show me a game where I said the refs handed you a game?

I have pointed out the incredible biased and strait up bad calls the saints have had in their favor for example the horribly wrong call the saints got vs the lions on 4th and short where Brees did a qb sneak put the ball out over the marker then pulled it back, then lost possession and the saints were STILL awarded the first down....Or commenting on the MNF game where the saints got nearly every call/non call in their favor which I have video evidence to back up my assertion.

, But show me one time ANYWHERE where I said the refs handed the saints a game?

Don't worry I will wait.

Maybe your lying cheating middle linebacker can help you do some research..... he seems to have some time on his hands now laugh.png

let me give you all a legal lesson that I learned from personal experience that nearly cost me my business

if you feel like the governing body is acting in a manner that is not in accordance with their jurisdiction, you automatically waive your right to protest it in court if you participate in it. in my case, my attorney told us to not even show up for the hearings

had the players gone into this appeal and attempted to handle it the way Goodell is citing, they would have already lost their right to appeal in court. Basically, the court would tell them that they are there because they didn't like the decision on the appeal. However, a court will listen if the accusation is that the NFL acted out of bounds with the CBA (which none of us really know).

BTW, in my case the governing body over my school kind of let the things go but we elevated it anyway and the top people lost their jobs, including the guy who was chosen by the governor.

I promise, the reason why Goodell took so long to do what everyone knew he was going to do was that he was aware of what I have said as well.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/03/next-phase-of-bounty-case-will-focus-on-claim-goodell-wasnt-impartial/

next phase is to not prove innocence or prove they didn't do it. But to prove Goodell wast impartial and try and exploit a loophole in the CBA.

If they're innocent and watched the coaches go down, appeal, and go down again within HOURS of appealing, why should they think this guy would be fair and impartial?