Pay Ys Top 25 Now 14 It's Lofton

Blogs HomeNFL NationNFC EastNFC NorthNFC SouthNFC WestAFC EastAFC NorthAFC SouthAFC West

NFC South top 25: No. 14

July, 3, 2012

JUL 3

11:04

AM ET

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

RECOMMEND0TWEET8COMMENTS55EMAILPRINT

We continue our series of my projected top 25 players in the NFC South for the 2012 season with No. 14:

Curtis Lofton, linebacker, New Orleans

What he did in 2011: Lofton had a fourth straight very solid season for the Atlanta Falcons. He had a career-high 147 tackles, two interceptions, forced a fumble and recorded a sack. But when free agency rolled around, Lofton was looking for huge money. The Falcons wanted to keep him, but were only offering a little over half his initial asking price. There also were rumblings that new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan didn’t think Lofton was a three-down linebacker. Lofton drifted in free agency for several weeks. He never got the kind of money he first was looking for. But he elected not to go back to Atlanta with his tail between his legs, instead choosing to sign with the division-rival Saints.

Why he’s No. 14 in 2012: Lofton and the Saints already have been making a lot of noise about how he’ll be a three-down linebacker in New Orleans. The Saints are serious about that. Lofton’s an instant upgrade over what Jonathan Vilma was in the middle when he was hobbled by a knee problem virtually all of last season. Lofton’s a natural leader and a younger version of Vilma. Plus, it appears Lofton heard the whispers that he’s not a great coverage linebacker and has dropped weight, presumably to increase his quickness. Lofton is a very prideful guy and I’m sure he’ll be highly motivated to go out and prove to the Falcons that they were wrong. That’s why I’m expecting a big season from Lofton.

Putting these two so close and having lofton just ahead only further proves that Yas is far more concerned about controversy and stirring the pot for website hits more than actually being a real football analyst.

Yeah Pat really just goes with the flavor of the week and others opinions. He's all over the Aints right now and Cam. I bet he puts Cam ahead of MR. Just like he kept saying Freeman was the man and better than MR. Pat Y hasn't talked about Freeman since lol.

Yeah Pat really just goes with the flavor of the week and others opinions. He's all over the Aints right now and Cam. I bet he puts Cam ahead of MR. Just like he kept saying Freeman was the man and better than MR. Pat Y hasn't talked about Freeman since lol.

Very true. He was all about some Freeman last off season.

So I am guessing that Pat Y believes that Lofton is probably the best LB in the division?

This list is pathetic.

Like I said on another thread a while ago, I would not be surprised if Sam Baker is the #1 player on Pat Y's list. Pat Y has lost all credibility that he has left, which was barely any to begin with.

Over Spoon?

"Yas" needs to be tested for hallucinatory substances.

He has 4 years of Lofton at the MLB spot to judge

Weatherspoon has (part of 1 year at SLB) and 1 year at WLB to judge

I can understand why he rated them as he did.

That do not mean I agree with him so do not start flaming

Edited by delaigle