Sean Payton, Wife File For Divorce

SaintRay

Saints coach Sean Payton, wife file for divorce

07/02/12 5:10PM

Subscribe to Post Flag Post

Ryan Jones, The Times-Picayune

New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton has filed for divorce from his wife, Beth, according to a petition from Tarrant County, Texas on June 14. The divorce filings appear to be written so as to avoid making the Paytons' identities public. They describe two residents of Tarrant County with the initials of Payton (PSP) and his wife (BAP), the date that the Paytons were married, and the birth dates of the couple's two children. The computer file containing the petition has the word "Payton" as part of its name.

11261665-large.jpgView full sizeNew Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton and his wife Beth at the St. Scholastica Academy Falaya Fling in March, 2010.

The petition lists the grounds for divorce as "discord or conflict of personalities between Petitioner and Respondent that destroys the legitimate ends of the marriage relationship and prevents any reasonable expectation of reconciliation."

The filings indicate that Payton, who has been suspended for the 2012 season by the NFL, has already moved out of his Westlake, Texas, home in the Dallas suburbs, where he lived with Beth Payton and their two children, Meghan and Conner.

Payton's original petition for divorce said that he and his wife hoped to divide their estate out of court and to hold joint custody of both children. Beth Payton, however, filed a counter-petition for divorce on June 26 which requested that she be appointed the custodian "who has the exclusive right to designate the primary residence of the children in Tarrant County, Texas." The petition asks that the court schedule Sean Payton's access to their children "as necessary to protect the health and well-being of the children."

In her counter-petition, Beth Payton also seeks the exclusive right to make decisions concerning the children's medical, legal and educational interests. Her filings request that Sean Payton pay support for the children's care and medical expenses.

In Beth Payton's answer to Sean Payton's original petition, also filed June 26, she asks that the divorce proceedings not be assigned to an associate judge for trial unless the Paytons agree in writing to a trial.

The couple previously lived in the Dallas area when Payton worked as an assistant head coach with the Dallas Cowboys; they moved to New Orleans when Payton accepted the coaching position with the New Orleans Saints in 2006.

"Whenever you take a new coaching job and you have a young family, you really spend a year away from them, at least to some degree," Payton wrote in his book "Home Team: Coaching the Saints and New Orleans Back to Life. "You're starting the new job. You have to sell your old house. So you lose a good part of a year."

In December 2009, Sean Payton became the lead plaintiff in a class-action suit against a Chinese company. The suit alleged that the company had installed defective drywall that gave off a putrid smell and caused damage to electronic wiring and other metals under hot or humid conditions.

Payton's family moved out of the house for nearly a year as their Mandeville residence was gutted and rebuilt. He confirmed in February 2011 that his family was moving to Vaquero, an affluent gated community located in Westlake.

July 11 would mark the couple's 20th anniversary.

Divorce sucks when there are children involved...****, sometimes when there are no childen. Hopefully, they are able to handle this out of the public eye. I would hate to be going through it with every move being reported.

On a side note:

I was initially surprised by the maturity of the previous responses until I noticed who had posted them. Sad part is, I'm sure the children will come along with their lame attempts at humor.

Divorce is always tough! Even when both parties start out with the best of intentions, things can get real messy, real fast. As someone else here already said, I hope their kids are alright and not drawn into contentious issues.

It just sucks that the media won't leave it alone even though it's obvious they (Payton's) went through rather great lengths to try and keep it out of the public eye.

Wow, walking into TATF was the biggest mistake of my life. I swear to God I could just gouge my eyeballs out and punch almost every single one of those pathetic scumbags who are laughing at this. I mean good grief, these kids are going to have to go through a lot with Payton and his wife getting a divorce. It just sickens me, none of us laughed when Mike Smith was rushed to the hospital for heart problems.

Stay classy c***suckers.

20 years is a long time. To bad they couldn't keep this out of court for the kids sake and encase they did work things out in the future. Something bad must have happened to throw away 20 years and walk away with kids in the middle of this.

Its a shame though stuff like this even gets leaked out.

Stuff like this isn't really any of the media`s business. Especially after they went through the trouble of hiding who they where. That should be like a stop sign with the words "stay the F back".

Wow, walking into TATF was the biggest mistake of my life. I swear to God I could just gouge my eyeballs out and punch almost every single one of those pathetic scumbags who are laughing at this. I mean good grief, these kids are going to have to go through a lot with Payton and his wife getting a divorce. It just sickens me, none of us laughed when Mike Smith was rushed to the hospital for heart problems.

Stay classy c***suckers.

Our advice to you LC, is stay the **** away from TATF! There are very few adult posters there any more and even one of the Mods likes to get in on any dirt as long as it's not reflecting poorly on the Falcons, plus he'll ban you for having the audacity to say the Falcons aren't the best team to ever field a team in the NFL. He's banned most every rival fan here, even some Falcon fans for not being Pro-Falcon enough for his taste. Just stay away from there! You'll find that most of the classier and knowledgeable Falcon fans eventually gravitate over here anyway, so there's really no reason to go over there unless you want some great material for a comedy sketch.laugh.png

Stay classy c***suckers.

lol you need a bath! lol

they werent laughing so hard when Blank was going through his divorce. They even blamed there losses on it hahahaha

i really hope its a mutual thing,stays quiet,doesnt get ugly and gets done as quick as possible...i feel bad for sean...what a terrible year for him and his family

I feel bad for him too. Alot of **** happened to him this year. I think this was in the making when the move to dallas happened

i really hope its a mutual thing,stays quiet,doesnt get ugly and gets done as quick as possible...i feel bad for sean...what a terrible year for him and his family

for once bounty gate might do some good for him. The attention it gets may take the media away from the divorce to leave his family alone.