History Developing Another Scripted Television Show 'vikings'

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/History-Channel-Goes-Scripted-With-Vikings-Drama-44153.html

The list of traditionally non-scripted networks jumping on the scripted bandwagon continues. The History Channel already tried its hand at scripted programming with the recent Hatfields & McCoys miniseries, and now they're lining up an honest-to-gosh ongoing series. Michael Hirst (The Tudors) is writing Vikings, a scripted series centered around the Norsemen, and specifically around the rise of a warrior named Ragnar Lothbrok to become king of the Vikings.

The show was first announced several months ago, and it has since lined up several cast members. The biggest name attached is Gabriel Byrne, who will play Earl Haraldson, a former warrior and Ragnar's chieftain. Travis Fimmel (The Beast) will play Ragnar, Glee's Jessalyn Gilsig will play Byrne's wife, and Gustaf Skarsgard will play Ragnar's close friend, Floki. If his last name sounds familiar, it's because he's the brother to Alexander Skarsgard, who plays – appropriately enough – an undead Norseman on HBO's True Blood. Floki is described in the THR story as "an eccentric jokester but creative boat-builder." Handy skills to have as a Viking, I suppose.

Also on board are Clive Standen from Starz's Camelot and Katheryn Winnick from Bones. Standen will play Rollo, Ragnar's cruel cousin, and Winnick will be in the role of Ragnar's first wife, Lagertha. I'd say that "first" part doesn't bode well for her future, but I could be wrong.

Vikings doesn't have an official premiere date yet, but is scheduled to hit sometime next year. With Hirst and Byrne's involvement, this might be one to keep an eye on.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds cool but I would have liked to have seen more American history stuff. Like maybe a story about billy the kid or Jessie James.

Or something that I would think be cool a series based on the OK Corral and the fighting between the Earps and the Cowboys.

I did European history as well but there are so many great historical stories from the US that would make great tv.

sounds cool but I would have liked to have seen more American history stuff. Like maybe a story about billy the kid or Jessie James.

Or something that I would think be cool a series based on the OK Corral and the fighting between the Earps and the Cowboys.

I did European history as well but there are so many great historical stories from the US that would make great tv.

Written and recorded history of this country is like 250 years old.

Europe thousands and thousands of years of recorded history.

America ain't that interesting.

I'm just so sick of shows like Ice Road Truckers, Pawn Stars and Top Shot. American Pickers is ok but not when you play it 15 times a day. Honest to god I get a little excited when public television plays a freaking documentary, you so rarely see them now. Wish I got the Military channel but I imagine they'll go reality channel before you know it.

I'm just so sick of shows like Ice Road Truckers, Pawn Stars and Top Shot. American Pickers is ok but not when you play it 15 times a day. Honest to god I get a little excited when public television plays a freaking documentary, you so rarely see them now. Wish I got the Military channel but I imagine they'll go reality channel before you know it.

PBS is actually the ****!

I'm surprised they have enough time to show this seeing as every time I pass by that station its always something about WWII....Germans in particular

If your getting a signal from 12 years ago (when everybody called it the Hitler channel) sure

Written and recorded history of this country is like 250 years old.

Europe thousands and thousands of years of recorded history.

America ain't that interesting.

I beg to differ.

We have many many interesting and fascinating characters.

Take the revolutionary war for example. One guy who would make a GREAT story about would be Benedict Arnold.

Who up until his betrayal was one of the greatest military leaders the colonies have ever seen and had his betrayal not happened he would have been up there with guys like Washington, Jefferson,Adams and others as great early American leaders.

Another great Mini Series could be Lewis and Clarke.

Another could be Mark Twain

And while the US are indeed only 250ish years old, the colonies have history for 500. America is VERY interesting.

PBS is actually the ****!

Sometimes there's some real stupid sh^t on there but every once in while you get a really well done documentary.and I'm shocked at how well it was executed.

I've seen some Frontline episodes that really made me think.

At least you get some American history.

Try getting some African History on American tv that doesnt involve west African slaves, or gay Egyptian pyramids.

At least you get some American history.

Try getting some African History on American tv that doesnt involve west African slaves, or gay Egyptian pyramids.

Or how the aforementioned were secret aliens ph34r.png

There used to be a History International but last I looked it was becoming just another channel to play History reruns.

C'mon BO, you know I don't relate to none of them shows (Archer the **** tho)

Bring back Martin

Bring back New York Undercover

Bring back Roots

Bring back The Wire

You'd relate to some of 'em more than you might think if you'd give 'em a chance, good sir.

But for now I'ma ask you to just watch these 2 Youtube jawns...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zweq4ZabNd8