Abe A Hof Guy?

SaintRay

I don't think so, but will concede he's a very good player.

Talk in Atlanta of John Abraham as a Hall of Famer

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 2, 2012, 11:04 AM EDT

j-abraham.jpg?w=153 Getty Images

Will Falcons defensive end John Abraham find himself in the Pro Football Hall of Fame some day? A lot of folks in Atlanta think so.

That’s the word from the team’s official website, which notes that there’s an ongoing discussion among Falcons fans, most of whom lean toward Abraham in the Hall of Fame. The team’s site notes that Abraham is the NFL’s active leader with 112 career sacks and that with a few more good seasons he could get into the Top 10 of all time.

However, the NFL has only kept sacks as an official statistic since 1982, so when the Falcons’ website says Abraham is 16th on the all-time rankings, what it really means is Abraham is 16th in the last 30 years. That’s not quite as impressive. And accumulating a bunch of sacks has never been sufficient to get a guy in the Hall of Fame: Kevin Greene is third all-time and he’s not in the Hall of Fame, and Leslie O’Neal, Clyde Simmons and Sean Jones are all in the Top 15 on the career sack list and have more career sacks than Abraham, and none of them has ever even been one of the 15 finalists for Hall of Fame consideration.

Abraham has been a consistently good player, but not a great one. Abraham has never led the league in sacks and has only been in the Top 5 twice, and few consider him among the great defensive players of his generation. Outside Atlanta, where the fans may be a tad biased, it’s unlikely you’ll find many people who consider Abraham a Hall of Famer.

Of course, the 34-year-old Abraham is still an active player. It’s possible he could have a few more strong seasons and make a good case that he belongs in Canton. But right now, his Hall of Fame résumé looks thin.

The Falcons winning a Super Bowl while he's with the team would help, but as it sits now I don't see it. Has he ever been a NFL defensive MVP? Nope. Unless the Falcons win a Super Bowl and he puts up a couple 12 to 16 sack seasons....NO WAY.

He'll need 20+ over the next 3 years combined. I don't see it happening. Abe is a beast but there're just too many bigger names in his generation for him to sneak in (though I feel he deserves it).

He'll need 20+ over the next 3 years combined. I don't see it happening. Abe is a beast but there're just too many bigger names in his generation for him to sneak in (though I feel he deserves it).

I've even seen people trying to push Simeon Rice as a hall of famer. I just don't see it, although he did have some remarkable sack numbers for a few seasons and won a Super Bowl, he remains extremely iffy in my opinion. I see Abe a lot like Rice and he doesn't even have a ring. So unless he adds that there's little chance of him making it.

DeMarcus Ware > John Abraham

Jared Allen > John Abraham

Mario Williams > John Abraham

Julius Peppers > John Abraham

Dwight Freeney > Jonh Abraham

Terrell Suggs > John Abraham

Get the point?

Edited by Rave

Lifted off pft

paulitik74 says:

Jul 2, 2012 11:12 AM

A Super Bowl win preceded by a 15 sack season might ice it for him, but unfortunately, the media will never give anyone that plays for Atlanta any credit. It's a joke that Tommy Nobis isn't in.

21 74

http://profootballta...-hall-of-famer/

What is a Tommy Nobis?

Nobis is the best MLB to ever play in the NFL.

EDIT: No abe is not a HoFer. Kevin Greene is still waiting to get in.

I Think he is a HOF Player

I saw someone Mention Nobis

How Bout C Humphrey ? or J Tuggle ?

thats 3 HOF Players , not there because of the team they played for....

Abe may receive the same Fate

But he has a better chance Because he has only seen 1 losing season since he joined the team in 2005 well we were 7-9 in 1 of the yrs before the bottom fell out in 07 . but yea alot of reg season wins the past 7 yrs as a Falcon, Falcons make a deep playoff run in the next 2 yrs, I think he goes in ......

I Think he is a HOF Player

I saw someone Mention Nobis

How Bout C Humphrey ? or J Tuggle ?

thats 3 HOF Players , not there because of the team they played for....

Abe may receive the same Fate

But he has a better chance Because he has only seen 1 losing season since he joined the team in 2005 well we were 7-9 in 1 of the yrs before the bottom fell out in 07 . but yea alot of reg season wins the past 7 yrs as a Falcon, Falcons make a deep playoff run in the next 2 yrs, I think he goes in ......

Tuggle before Abe

Abe is a great player, no doubt but you all aren't looking at the big picture and that is that there people ahead of him in stats that aren't in either.

Tuggle before Abe

Abe is a great player, no doubt but you all aren't looking at the big picture and that is that there people ahead of him in stats that aren't in either.

I always thought Tuggle was a HOFer

what makes him even more deserving , he was undrafted

and he didnt even make the top 20 undrafted players list I saw on ESPN

No Respect , except from the Guys who Played against him, Falcon Fans and Rival Old School Fans who got to see him Play...

The Guy was a Beast

a Tackling Machine

as good as any Tackler I have ever seen .....

I always thought Tuggle was a HOFer

what makes him even more deserving , he was undrafted

and he didnt even make the top 20 undrafted players list I saw on ESPN

No Respect , except from the Guys who Played against him, Falcon Fans and Rival Old School Fans who got to see him Play...

The Guy was a Beast

a Tackling Machine

as good as any Tackler I have ever seen .....

He was constantly shedding blocks and attacking the ball carrier, he brought the lumber when he hit too. Always clean, squared hits. I believe he led the league in tackles for 5 straight years during the early 90's.

I think he won't make it due to all the crappy teams he played on though. He only had 3 play-off wins in his career. Let's face it, during the Rankin Smith era we had a one of the worst FO in the league and it showed on the field.

Could you imagine if he played for a competent team, like Kansas City or Miami. IMO, he would be in the HOF already.

DeMarcus Ware > John Abraham

Jared Allen > John Abraham

Mario Williams > John Abraham

Julius Peppers > John Abraham

Terrell Suggs > John Abraham

Fixed. I will say Abe gets held more than anyone in the NFL though.

Yeah, Im sure that tackles fear John Abraham more than any other DE/OLB in the league...GTFO.

Really don't know.... there are a few DEs that should be retiring within the next 6-8 years. That have great numbers. will be interesting to see which, if any, get in.

Peppers..... he has played for 10 seasons.. has 100 sacks, 8 int, 36 FF and 2 TD. Probably has around 5 years left.

Freeney has played 10 seasons so far also. 102 sacks, 43 FF. Probably has around 4 or 5 years left.

JA has only played for 8 seasons so far.. 105 sacks, 5 int, 26 FF, 1 TD. Probably has another good 8 years left if he remains healthy.

JA could be pushing 200 sacks by the time he retires.. if he stays on his current pace, I think he'll be the only sure bet at a HOF slot.

Edited by pox 08

Really don't know.... there are a few DEs that should be retiring within the next 6-8 years. That have great numbers. will be interesting to see which, if any, get in.

Peppers..... he has played for 10 seasons.. has 100 sacks, 8 int, 36 FF and 2 TD. Probably has around 5 years left.

Freeney has played 10 seasons so far also. 102 sacks, 43 FF. Probably has around 4 or 5 years left.

JA has only played for 8 seasons so far.. 105 sacks, 5 int, 26 FF, 1 TD. Probably has another good 8 years left if he remains healthy.

JA could be pushing 200 sacks by the time he retires.. if he stays on his current pace, I think he'll be the only sure bet at a HOF slot.

8 YEARS??????? Isn't he in his 30's? Not to mention he can be injury prone at times. I'm not taking away from the fact that when healthy he's a damned fine DE. but to expect him to play until his late 30's and maybe beyond is nuts!

8 YEARS??????? Isn't he in his 30's? Not to mention he can be injury prone at times. I'm not taking away from the fact that when healthy he's a damned fine DE. but to expect him to play until his late 30's and maybe beyond is nuts!

Nah hes going on his 13th season with 112 sacks

OOPS i took JA as John Abraham, i think he meant Jared Allen

hes going into his 9th season with 105 and he is 30

Edited by SuperSK

He's 30 years old. Came into the league in 2004. He has missed 3 games in 8 years, so far. I don't know man. I think he can play until he's at least 37.

He's 30 years old. Came into the league in 2004. He has missed 3 games in 8 years, so far. I don't know man. I think he can play until he's at least 37.

3 games in his entire career? You may want to check that stat. Even so, I've seen him go out of games at crucial times with what appears to be an ongoing groin issue. I'll lay $$ the guy doesn't last 8 more seasons!

3 games in his entire career? You may want to check that stat. Even so, I've seen him go out of games at crucial times with what appears to be an ongoing groin issue. I'll lay $$ the guy doesn't last 8 more seasons!

stat wise he is right. Allen only missed 3 games. Now if he came out due to injury that wouldnt show up