Nfc's Most Dynamic Duos.

NYG4

On Thursday, we began our look at the most dynamic duos in the NFL by ranking the top 10 in the AFC. On Friday, we continue in the NFC.

Again, the key to a truly impressive tandem is a twosome that works better together than they do apart. They cover each other's weaknesses and enhance each other's strengths -- even if their link isn't readily apparent. Some readers raised an eyebrow Thursday about my pairing of punter Shane Lechler and kicker Sebastian Janikowski, believing the two don't relate to one another -- after all, they're not even on the field together. However, it's their complementary skills that earned them my appreciation -- Lechler's big leg gives the Raiders better field position and, combined with Janikowski's range, leads to more field goal opportunities for Oakland.

I suspect you'll find our NFC pairings slightly more conventional, however. Here is my breakdown of the top 10, starting out in San Francisco:

3.WRs Roddy White and Julio Jones, Atlanta Falcons

White has been terrific for a long time, but the missing piece in this passing game was a complementary receiver who could take some defensive attention away from White. Jones is now that guy, and a year ago they posted 154 receptions for 2,255 yards and 16 TDs. With a good slot receiver, Harry Douglas, and a Hall of Fame tight end in Tony Gonzalez, there are few opportunities for double coverages by the defense. Both White and Jones have the size to be effective red-zone targets and the speed to get deep. However, both must play with a little better consistency and concentration in 2012.

4.QB Cam Newton and WR Steve Smith, Carolina Panthers

Newton was blessed to have a big-play WR he could depend on as a rookie; Smith filled the role with 79 receptions for 1,394 yards and seven TDs. Smith has excellent vertical speed, great concentration and a fearlessness to go over the middle. Newton doesn't hesitate to look his way -- no matter what the coverage. With other options in the passing game, it's not always easy to roll coverages toward Smith, and these two now have a great feel for how the play will develop. They are on the same page and their ability to make sight reads after the snap will only increase as they play more together.

8.RBs DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart, Panthers

This has been a dynamic Panthers run game in recent years, and now they even have added a third piece, Mike Tolbert from San Diego, who can make both of them better, working out of the FB position either as a lead blocker or complementary runner. A year ago, Williams and Stewart combined for 1,598 yards and 63 receptions (most of those from Stewart). Williams can give them more outside plays while Stewart is a good power runner between the tackles. With the threat of Smith at WR and the scrambling ability of Newton, it's tough for a defense to overload in the box, which leaves good running lanes for Williams and Stewart.

10.QB Drew Brees and TE Jimmy Graham, New Orleans Saints

Brees has a lot of weapons in this spread offense, but when he needs a big play, Graham is the guy he looks to. Like Stafford and Johnson, they operate off the same page and when you combine Brees' accuracy with Graham's leaping ability, they form one of the most potent passing/receiving duos in the league, particularly when they get near the goal line. Of Graham's 99 receptions, 14 were in the red zone, with nine of those for TDs. Brees will move him all over the formation to get the right matchup, a luxury afforded him by Graham's versatility.

Insider Article, I just posted the teams from the NFCS, but you can read the whole thing here.

http://www.reddit.co...t_dynamic_duos/

Edited by NYG4

Can't go wrong with that list.

Nicks and Cruz on it?

Nope. Tuck and JPP are though.

9.DEs Jason Pierre-Paul and Justin Tuck, New York Giants

We know that the Giants have four quality edge type rushers (they call it their NASCAR package), but these two are the toughest one-on-one matchups for offensive blockers. Even though Tuck fought through a lot of nagging injuries in 2011, he is still an elite rusher who can line up outside or inside to get the right matchup. Pierre-Paul had a huge 2011 season, with 16.5 sacks and 86 tackles, and with his first-step quickness he is almost impossible to block individually. Like Tuck, he can play some pass-rush snaps inside. With their versatility, they can even line up on the same side, which equates to a blocking nightmare.

JPP+ Tuck is a real good one.

Shocking that Cruz and Nicks aren't on there. Combined last season, they had close to 2,800 receiving yards and 16 TD. I don't see their production dropping that much , if any, this upcoming season.

Edited by pox 08

No love for Dallas, why am I not surprised...rolleyes.gif

Spencer and Ware should be on there as should Witten and Romo.

IDK, Ware and Rattlif (sp) maybe, but I'm not sold on Spencer, you may know more about him than I do. As far as Witten and Romo,100% agree should be on the list.

IDK, Ware and Rattlif (sp) maybe, but I'm not sold on Spencer, you may know more about him than I do. As far as Witten and Romo,100% agree should be on the list.

Spencer is one of the best LBs in the league at run support. Ware is the best pass rusher in the league. Id say that pretty much makes them a great duo.

Spencer is one of the best LBs in the league at run support. Ware is the best pass rusher in the league. Id say that pretty much makes them a great duo.

Like I said, I don't know much about him other than what the people around here say. They mention that he's not worthy of playing on the other side of someone like Ware.

Like I said, I don't know much about him other than what the people around here say. They mention that he's not worthy of playing on the other side of someone like Ware.

What most people dont realize is that in the 4th quarter and last 2 minutes of each half Spencer has better stats than Ware. Spencer will benefit most by our new secondary. He pressures the QB a ton, but with the time the secondary should provide him, those pressures should turn into sacks this year. People judge Spencer vs Ware and thats not fair. I dont know where to find it, but there was a list done this offseason comparing the LOLBs of the NFL and Spencer was one of the top guys. Fans have a nasty habit of only looking at sacks when it comes to 3-4 OLBs. Spencer hasnt had a lot of sacks in the past, but his run support is second to none.

Edited by Rave

Just for you Meezy...

Anthony Spencer

A lot of fans view Spencer as a run-stopping outside linebacker who struggles reaching the quarterback. While Spencer's sack totals aren't necessarily where both he and the team might like, he probably generates more pressure than you think.

2886aeb4-b858-4e55-ac50-1bfccf7c3be2.Large.png

Since 2009, the top 15 outside linebackers in 3-4 defenses have averaged right around nine sacks, nine hits, and 30 pressures per year. Spencer is right in line with those elite players, totaling seven sacks, 14 hits, and 30 pressures per season. He's obviously not at the level of DeMarcus Ware, Clay Matthews, Cameron Wake and the league's other top-tier edge rushers, but you could make a case that Spencer is a top-10 outside linebacker based solely on pass-rushing ability.

Plus, Spencer is actually in coverage on 27.5 percent of pass plays. That's one of the highest rates in the NFL among those at his position, and much higher than the 12.9 percent of pass plays during which Ware is in coverage.

On top of that, Spencer may very well be the best run-defending 3-4 outside linebacker in the entire NFL. Since 2009, he has ranked first, second, and second each year in total tackles, leading all 3-4 outside linebackers over that span. He has racked up 162 tackles over the past three seasons, nine more than second-place linebacker James Harrison.

And knowing is half the battle! Lol....i didn't doubt what you were saying, I figured there had to be a reason they franchised him.

Dallas posted their top 5 underrated players list today and Spencer was on it. I thought of this thread and thought you may want to see what they said. I think a lot of Cowboys fans should take a look also. Spencer is VERY underrated.