Final Wideout Spot Comes Down To Two

Kevin Cone - WR - Falcons

Kevin Cone and Drew Davis are considered the favorites for the Falcons' final wideout spot.

With Eric Weems now on the Bears, there's room on the roster. Both Cone and Davis spent last season on the practice squad, with the former earning a promotion to the active roster in Week 17. Whoever makes the squad will focus primarily on special teams.

Related: Drew Davis

Source: AtlantaFalcons.com Jun 29 - 11:34 AM

They are considered the favorites b/c they have seniority, just like Reynolds was the favorite over Johnson b/c of seniority. This isn't really from the coaches. It's more of an assumption from the website. If they are the best and win the spot, I will not complain. I just don't want them winning the spot mostly b/c of experience on the practice squad. I am looking forward to the preseason and actually being able to see what these guys can do on the field, all of them.

Guest Gritz

"Plax" should be signed immediately.

Neither of these fellows are getting it done.

There's a better chance of you making it through an entire week without being banned than there is of the Falcons signing Quick Draw Burress.

Guest Gritz

You gotta admit though, Gritz.....he'd be great cartoon fodder for you. wink.png

Bring him home TD? lol

Yeah, but I try and think of the team before I do my own selfish interests.....

Insert smiley emoticon here.

The practice squad is usually a place to "develop" talent. However it's been a while since the Falcons actually did that with WRs.

08 Weems moved from the PS to active about game 12. Chandler Williams as on the PS late in the season. Kinshito was there but I do not think he could move to active because of him being an "extra" internationally player.

09 Bergeron was yoyoed between the PS and active roster all season.

Swinton and Strickland were added very late in the season.

10 Strickland, Buckley and Harvey

11 Cone and Davis

12 ?????

You don't "develop" talent by changing the players year after year.

sure they may get a little better raw talent each time--- but ---there is no "development" if you keep changing it out each year. Each year many of us get excited about some UDFA WR for the PS but it seems they never last 2 full years( or 3).

Edited by delaigle

The practice squad is usually a place to "develop" talent. However it's been a while since the Falcons actually did that with WRs.

08 Weems moved from the PS to active about game 12. Chandler Williams as on the PS late in the season. Kinshito was there but I do not think he could move to active because of him being an "extra" internationally player.

11 Cone and Davis

12 ?????

sure they may get a little better raw talent each time--- but ---there is no "development" if you keep changing it out each year. Each year many of us get excited about some UDFA WR for the PS but it seems they never last 2 full years( or 3).

Yes, but that's true of most teams. There is a reason that most of these guys went undrafted. So, you keep them around for a little to see what you have in them, and if they impress you keep them around a little longer. Then each year, you bring in new talent, hoping to find the new Weems, or better yet, the new Victor Cruz.

Yes, but that's true of most teams. There is a reason that most of these guys went undrafted. So, you keep them around for a little to see what you have in them, and if they impress you keep them around a little longer. Then each year, you bring in new talent, hoping to find the new Weems, or better yet, the new Victor Cruz.

An players like Clabo and Dahl will slip through your fingers.

An players like Clabo and Dahl will slip through your fingers.

Maybe, maybe not. It will always be possible to lose out on a great talent by not keeping them around, but the reverse is also true, if you don't work out the new talent. It isn't an exact science, but hey, supporting your argument, look at Kurt Warner. No one gave him a shot at first. It's just difficult to know for sure.

Guest Gritz

But his title says elite poster?

Yeah, and I could have named that dog turd I almost stepped in this morning "Porterhouse Steak."

11 Cone and Davis

12 ?????

I think that's just a case of them finding an upgrade at the position every year. They probably try to have the best players on their PS just in case there is an injury plagued position one year. That's what happened with the Jags WRs last year and in that case you want to be forced to play your better overall WRs rather than your raw player with less talent but more potential. Besides, it works both ways. We wasted 3 years of PS spots on Valdez and he never amounted to anything. We could've brought in 3 different players and maybe one of them would've been the next Dahl.

I think that's just a case of them finding an upgrade at the position every year. They probably try to have the best players on their PS just in case there is an injury plagued position one year. That's what happened with the Jags WRs last year and in that case you want to be forced to play your better overall WRs rather than your raw player with less talent but more potential. Besides, it works both ways. We wasted 3 years of PS spots on Valdez and he never amounted to anything. We could've brought in 3 different players and maybe one of them would've been the next Dahl.

Rethink Valdez

He was on the PS for his 3rd year in 2011.

The Falcons liked him enough to keep bringing him back--an oddity in itself where they do have mostly new players each year.

In Oct 2011 when Johnson went on IR --did they activate Valdez--nope they signed Chambers off the street.

So in Jan 12 when the Falcons offered Valdez a new contract (they still wanted him)-- he refused to sign-- can anyone blame him???

Edited by delaigle

Rethink Valdez

He was on the PS for his 3rd year in 2011.

The Falcons liked him enough to keep bringing him back--an oddity in itself where they do have mostly new players each year.

In Oct 2011 when Johnson went on IR --did they activate Valdez--nope they signed Chambers off the street.

So in Jan 12 when the Falcons offered Valdez a new contract (they still wanted him)-- he refused to sign-- can anyone blame him???

That's what I was saying though. As bad as our oline has been, Valdez was never good enough to make the 53 man roster. The staff saw something in him and kept him around based purely on potential. He might end up being another Clabo or Dahl but even those guys didn't get it going until they were almost 30. So the dilemma is whether to keep a guy for years hoping the light finally comes on one day or to keep signing guys hoping you'll strike on a Victor Cruz or Marques Colston type. Neither way is right or wrong. There have been successes that have fallen under both categories. I think if the staff saw something in those players they would have kept them around. Guys like Brandyn Harvey had 2 entire off-seasons to impress the staff and failed to do so.

That's what I was saying though. As bad as our oline has been, Valdez was never good enough to make the 53 man roster. The staff saw something in him and kept him around based purely on potential. He might end up being another Clabo or Dahl but even those guys didn't get it going until they were almost 30. So the dilemma is whether to keep a guy for years hoping the light finally comes on one day or to keep signing guys hoping you'll strike on a Victor Cruz or Marques Colston type. Neither way is right or wrong. There have been successes that have fallen under both categories. I think if the staff saw something in those players they would have kept them around. Guys like Brandyn Harvey had 2 entire off-seasons to impress the staff and failed to do so.

This staff will never hit on a PS player so we might as well just sign 300 lb tackling dummies.

Kevin Cone - WR - Falcons

Kevin Cone and Drew Davis are considered the favorites for the Falcons' final wideout spot.

With Eric Weems now on the Bears, there's room on the roster. Both Cone and Davis spent last season on the practice squad, with the former earning a promotion to the active roster in Week 17. Whoever makes the squad will focus primarily on special teams.

Related: Drew Davis

Source: AtlantaFalcons.com Jun 29 - 11:34 AM

attentionwhore.gif

Have we EVER developed any position on the PS?

a few names come to mind

Clabo---PS all of 05

Grimes---yoyoed between active and PS most of 07

Snelling---PS 07 until Nov

Weems--PS 07 until DeC

mostly pre M Smith

ADDED Since M Smith other teams have been raiding the Falcons PS for players (must go to their active roster)

08 3 PS players Parker DT, Miller DE, Darby RB

09 1 PS player Middleton CB

10 1 PS player Nance RB

11 1 PS player Bush SS

Edited by delaigle