Will The Real Drew Brees, Please Shut Up.

Trouble

Fans lose out as 'bounty' spin game rolls on

Drew Brees was right during his appearance on the "Late Show with David Letterman" Thursday night. We are tired, as football fans, of hearing about the "bounty" scandal.

Of course, Brees has been the primary person talking about it for the past week.

There is no problem with New Orleans Saints players vigorously appealing and defending their rights. Just don't insult our intelligence by arguing that the players are somehow above playing politics.

"I mean, just the whole process itself and the investigation I feel like has been extremely unfair," Brees said. "Unfortunately, it seems like it's been more of a media campaign then it is actually finding the truth to the matter."

Listening to the players and the league go back and forth on bounties is depressing. It's like listening to Democrats and Republicans going back and forth on health care. Both sides are trying to score points. For Brees to suggest that the players are somehow above playing the media game is disingenuous. It's political. Fans are tired of that, too.

Everything I write for NFL.com is going to be viewed through the prism of working for the league. I get that. But I would be writing the same opinion if I were at my previous employer, ProFootballTalk.

Brees and his fellow Saints players have a strong argument to make when asking why the four suspended Saints specifically were punished.

Why was Will Smith suspended but Roman Harper was not? Why was Scott Fujita's suspension five games shorter than Anthony Hargrove's? Why was Jonathan Vilma's punishment so severe when compared to those handed to the other players?

These are legitimate questions to ask. The players have rights, and one could argue whether we have legitimate answers to the questions above.

But Brees hurts his legitimacy when he compares the NFL's supposed lack of evidence to the inability to prove the existence of WMD before invading Iraq. Or when he says the following:

"It was a shock when we were accused of that, because that's a pretty heinous accusation. So the entire time, for a lot of us, it's been, 'Show us the proof, put forth the facts, and if indeed it is proved that there was a pay-to-injure program in place, then, yes, there should be punishment enforced.' Unfortunately, to this point there's been no hard evidence to show that that was indeed taking place," Brees told Letterman.

He's trying to score points. The total package of evidence regarding the existence of a bounty program is more than compelling. (Even Dog the Bounty Hunter agrees.)

Brees knows his organization willfully misled the NFL about the existence of a bounty program, then continued on the same path. He knows his former defensive coordinator, Gregg Williams, admitted that the program existed; his testimony informed much of the league's investigation.

ESPN.com's Andrew Brandt made an astute observation regarding the players' outrage over the process concerning the punishments:

"The time for that outrage was when the process was being negotiated, not now," Brandt wrote.

We'd love Brees to engage in an honest, frank conversation about what went on in New Orleans. But that's not what we get. We get politics; we get spin; we get phony outrage about the shock of accusations and the "media campaign" against the players.

There's no rule that says the players and NFL can't handle more of this behind closed doors. Brees is among the leaders when it comes to taking the fight public and to the fans. Both sides have engaged in a vigorous media campaign.

The only clear loser in the battle, just like with last year's lockout, is the NFL fan.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a37e4d/article/fans-lose-out-as-bounty-spin-game-rolls-on

TRUTH!!!!!!!

Even the health care bill going through the supreme court didnt get this kinda politics thats going on with bounty gate.

I have a lot of respect for Brees as a skilled player and probably a all around good human. But as a top guy for the NFLPA he has a agenda and he is making that clear. Not only to his help his team but to help the players.

Id be hard pressed to believe Brees would go on late night talk shows to discuss bounty gate and say what he did had the team in question been the Falcons, Panthers or Bucs.

I just dont believe he would.

Sorry this is so long, but its true. The politics going on by both sides distorts whats true more than anything.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and I notice you don't have anything to say about the fact that a voice ID expert has declared that the voice on the tape does not belong to Hargrove? proving that the NFL did not do its due diligence before depriving these players of their livelihoods and possibly careers?

it is only because the players are pushing back in the media, the same media the NFL used to declare the bogus accusation against Hargrove, that the true facts are coming to light.

but none of that matters, right?

and I notice you don't have anything to say about the fact that a voice ID expert has declared that the voice on the tape does not belong to Hargrove? proving that the NFL did not do its due diligence before depriving these players of their livelihoods and possibly careers?

it is only because the players are pushing back in the media, the same media the NFL used to declare the bogus accusation against Hargrove, that the true facts are coming to light.

but none of that matters, right?

has that tape been released? and who the **** is bobby

1 of those saints players in the video know who said that. Why hasnt someone either said "nope, he didnt say it. I did" or "he didnt say it but it was the guy on his right".

To say "it wasnt me" reminds me of a old shaggy song.

If everyone knows it wasn't him, then someone say who it was. But they haven't done that.

One because getting the truth is not as important as covering their butts. Thats what got them in this mess to start with. Covering stuff up. Just like the article was saying.

Edited by danight

1 of those saints players in the video know who said that. Why hasnt someone either said "nope, he didnt say it. I did" or "he didnt say it but it was the guy on his right".

To say "it wasnt me" reminds me of a old shaggy song.

If everyone knows it wasn't him, then someone say who it was. But they haven't done that.

One because getting the truth is not as important as covering their butts. Thats what got them in this mess to start with. Covering stuff up. Just like the article was saying.

so tell me what that has to do with it?

Hargrove is under no burden to prove who it really was. he has proven it wasn't him

nice attempt at a spin tho. the burden of evidence is with the NFL.

so tell me what that has to do with it?

Hargrove is under no burden to prove who it really was. he has proven it wasn't him

nice attempt at a spin tho. the burden of evidence is with the NFL.

Its not a spin. The cover up for years what got the saints in this mess. This only shows they are still covering stuff up to protect their own. Someone said it.

Simple truth is, if we cant trust the Saints to actually tell what really happened "then why should we believe them when they say certain things didnt happen as the NFL said?

If we wanna get technical the NFL should bring in every single player of the D and hold everyone who took any money and lied in previous investigations accountable. Even if it ment suspending the majority of the D. At some point someone will talk.

They went after team capts and the leaders. Clearly more where involved and more also knew about it. Those people should be held accountable for if nothing else, lying to impair a official NFL investigation and participate in a Bonus system thats against NFL rules.

Hardgrove might not have said it and maybe the NFL in that 1 piece got it wrong. But how about all the other players who lied and covered it up that didn't even get punished?

But the NFLPA has them covered with PA lawyers that tells them to not say anything at all.

**Yawn**

Sound tired, you get up to early?

Its not a spin. The cover up for years what got the saints in this mess. This only shows they are still covering stuff up to protect their own. Someone said it.

Simple truth is, if we cant trust the Saints to actually tell what really happened "then why should we believe them when they say certain things didnt happen as the NFL said?

If we wanna get technical the NFL should bring in every single player of the D and hold everyone who took any money and lied in previous investigations accountable. Even if it ment suspending the majority of the D. At some point someone will talk.

They went after team capts and the leaders. Clearly more where involved and more also knew about it. Those people should be held accountable for if nothing else, lying to impair a official NFL investigation and participate in a Bonus system thats against NFL rules.

Hardgrove might not have said it and maybe the NFL in that 1 piece got it wrong. But how about all the other players who lied and covered it up that didn't even get punished?

But the NFLPA has them covered with PA lawyers that tells them to not say anything at all.

prove that the players lied. give me one single, solitary link that proves the players were asked about a pay for injury system and denied it. there was no such evidence at the appeals hearing

bet you $100 that you can't do it. I will send it through paypal. Put up or shut up.

Edited by Dago 3.0

prove that the players lied. give me one single, solitary link that proves the players were asked about a pay for injury system and denied it. there was no such evidence at the appeals hearing

bet you $100 that you can't do it. I will send it through paypal. Put up or shut up.

I think it's great that we don't have to prove shet to you. You're the one that trying to prove the bountygate is flawed. FAIL !!!!!

prove that the players lied.

Fixed. Because i never said pay to do anything system. I just said lied to cover stuff up. They broke rules and lied to impair a official NFL investigation and cont. doing what was against the rules.

Brees seems to leave little things like that out. Thats what the article is about. Its about playing the media and the players are doing it hook line and sinker to. TSR is grasping for straws of any article that would paint the NFL wrong.

But lets take hargrove for a min. His 4 game suspension. Lets look at the suspended mastermind behind bountygate. Williams. Whose NFL career is not speculated to be over but is over at this time. He walked away not even appealing the evidence the NFL had against him, even in light that it would end his career.

Saints say the NFL got it wrong, But yet the Saints wont be the ones to set it right. They want the truth. Yet they already know the truth and wont share it because they know it paints them in a negative light. If it didn't they wouldn't take 2 secs to release it.

The NFL might not be 100% right in the evidence. Fine. But the Saints are 100% in any of this. They know some money was handed out for injury type hits as admitted "cart offs". You dont get carted off if your healthy. You get carted off because your injured.

The Saints willingness to lie for years and cont to hide what did happen only makes them look Guilty even though Brees is trying to paint the NFL in a negative light.

Williams career is over because of what he led the Saints to do. Vitt, Loomis and payton also had involvement in it. Regardless of if evidence is 100% accurate there is enough to say what has happened is fair ground for what they have got.

Yes maybe these punishment seem hard by old NFL standards. But this isnt the same NFL and Goodell is not the old commish. Things have changed and player safety was a top issue. The saints still ignored that. Maybe other teams did as well and most likely they did. But the Hammer has fallen on the Saints for doing it for multi years after even being warned to stop and also for lying to cover it up.

If you fail to tell the truth the hole truth and nothing but the truth. Goodell will set you free for no less than 4 weeks.

http://www.nfl.com/n...n-game-rolls-on

TRUTH!!!!!!!

Even the health care bill going through the supreme court didnt get this kinda politics thats going on with bounty gate.

I have a lot of respect for Goodell as a skilled Lawyer and probably a all around good human. But as a top guy for the NFL he has a agenda and he is making that clear. Not only to his help the League but to help the Owners.

Id be hard pressed to believe Brees would go on late night talk shows to discuss bounty gate and say what he did had the team in question been the Falcons, Panthers or Bucs.

I just dont believe he would. Why would he when it wouldnt pertain to his team. Ryan would be the one on the talk show

Sorry this is so long, but its true. The politics going on by both sides distorts whats true more than anything.

i also didnt know brees was the one leaking everything to the media as this guy claims Brees is at the fore front of the fight being in the public.

This writer doesnt want the truth. He wants a story. NO ONE outside of a few actually know the truth.

Edited by SuperSK

Why would he when it wouldnt pertain to his team. Ryan would be the one on the talk show

LOL.... really? Really? Brees isnt 1 of the top guys at the NFLPA? So You agree he would not represent the Falcons the same way as he is the Saints? Your agreeing to he is representing the Saints because he is a Saints player (agenda driven).

Wow im impressed.

Fixed. Because i never said pay to do anything system. I just said lied to cover stuff up. They broke rules and lied to impair a official NFL investigation and cont. doing what was against the rules.

Brees seems to leave little things like that out. Thats what the article is about. Its about playing the media and the players are doing it hook line and sinker to. TSR is grasping for straws of any article that would paint the NFL wrong.

But lets take hargrove for a min. His 4 game suspension. Lets look at the suspended mastermind behind bountygate. Williams. Whose NFL career is not speculated to be over but is over at this time. He walked away not even appealing the evidence the NFL had against him, even in light that it would end his career.

Saints say the NFL got it wrong, But yet the Saints wont be the ones to set it right. They want the truth. Yet they already know the truth and wont share it because they know it paints them in a negative light. If it didn't they wouldn't take 2 secs to release it.

The NFL might not be 100% right in the evidence. Fine. But the Saints are 100% in any of this. They know some money was handed out for injury type hits as admitted "cart offs". You dont get carted off if your healthy. You get carted off because your injured.

The Saints willingness to lie for years and cont to hide what did happen only makes them look Guilty even though Brees is trying to paint the NFL in a negative light.

Williams career is over because of what he led the Saints to do. Vitt, Loomis and payton also had involvement in it. Regardless of if evidence is 100% accurate there is enough to say what has happened is fair ground for what they have got. (#######) A pay for performance scandal is not even close to enough to deserve what they got.

Yes maybe these punishment seem hard by old NFL standards. But this isnt the same NFL and Goodell is not the old commish. Things have changed and player safety was a top issue. The saints still ignored that. Maybe other teams did as well and most likely they did. But the Hammer has fallen on the Saints for doing it for multi years after even being warned to stop and also for lying to cover it up.

If you fail to tell the truth the hole truth and nothing but the truth. Goodell will set you free for no less than 4 weeks.

LOL.... really? Really? Brees isnt 1 of the top guys at the NFLPA? So You agree he would not represent the Falcons the same way as he is the Saints? Your agreeing to he is representing the Saints because he is a Saints player (agenda driven).

Wow im impressed.

Really? Really?

Why isnt Charlie Batch, Brian Dawkins, Dominique Foxworth, Hasselback, Matt Light on David Letterman answering questions about this?

Im waiting for your answer

Edited by SuperSK

Williams career is over because of what he led the Saints to do. Vitt, Loomis and payton also had involvement in it. Regardless of if evidence is 100% accurate there is enough to say what has happened is fair ground for what they have got.

accept that isn't what the punishments are for and you know it.

you don't care one bit about facts, details, or the truth. you just wrote a half page of crap that is nothing more than conjecture and your opinion and have nothing to back it up and that is the reason why you aren't willing to take my challenge.

case closed